Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times

Advertisements

As I spend 3 weeks in Yuba City/Marysville, CA at Beale AFB, I'm a little freaked out at how depressed/crime infested this area really is. As I wonder how people live here and feel secure day-to-day, I've realized my perspective comes from living in states that are consistently ranked the safest in the nation like North Dakota, Vermont, and New Hampshire. You take that for granted until you spend some time in a place with 19% unemployment, a raging meth problem, and Latino gangs running rampant.

I went to a movie tonight in Yuba City and on my way out I lost track of where I'd parked my car. I wandered around the parking lot a little bit and when I finally found my car, three people approached me who identified themselves as "theater security" and wanted to make sure I wasn't up to no good. I was dumbfounded, as I'd never been to a movie theater with uniformed security officers, much less three of them. Glad they were there, but it makes you wonder why they need that much of a presence in a movie theater parking lot.

I was actually uncomfortable in the Wal-Mart parking lot earlier this evening. If the people I saw weren't gang bangers, I'd be very surprised.

Being here is a great reality check. I won't complain as much about North Dakota anymore - it may be cold and flat, but it's one of the safest places in the country and a good place to raise my family for a few years until I can get back to NH.

Those of you who have transplanted yourselves from a place like CA to NH, you understand what I'm talking about. For the rest of you, please realize how good you have it, crime-rate wise, in the great state of NH.

I am truly shocked that people willingly subject their families to this craphole that is the Yuba City/Marysville, CA area.

Live Free or Die...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
Yes, Steve, having spent 10 yrs in Los Angeles County, I know exactly what you are talking about. Your account is realistic, and you did not even report any run ins. Imagine your time there extended - it is only a matter of time until all you described impacts you personally. Have you never seen gang members before? Was this your first exposure to an area in the US which tolerates gangs? If you are observant you can notice things which make the gang members pop out so that there is no question in your mind of who they are. A survival skill nobody should have to learn, but a necessary one in places like that. Sad what CA has become, but no surprise, given all we know about CA.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
As I spend 3 weeks in Yuba City/Marysville, CA at Beale AFB, I'm a little freaked out at how depressed/crime infested this area really is. As I wonder how people live here and feel secure day-to-day, I've realized my perspective comes from living in states that are consistently ranked the safest in the nation like North Dakota, Vermont, and New Hampshire. You take that for granted until you spend some time in a place with 19% unemployment, a raging meth problem, and Latino gangs running rampant.

I went to a movie tonight in Yuba City and on my way out I lost track of where I'd parked my car. I wandered around the parking lot a little bit and when I finally found my car, three people approached me who identified themselves as "theater security" and wanted to make sure I wasn't up to no good. I was dumbfounded, as I'd never been to a movie theater with uniformed security officers, much less three of them. Glad they were there, but it makes you wonder why they need that much of a presence in a movie theater parking lot.

I was actually uncomfortable in the Wal-Mart parking lot earlier this evening. If the people I saw weren't gang bangers, I'd be very surprised.

Being here is a great reality check. I won't complain as much about North Dakota anymore - it may be cold and flat, but it's one of the safest places in the country and a good place to raise my family for a few years until I can get back to NH.

Those of you who have transplanted yourselves from a place like CA to NH, you understand what I'm talking about. For the rest of you, please realize how good you have it, crime-rate wise, in the great state of NH.

I am truly shocked that people willingly subject their families to this craphole that is the Yuba City/Marysville, CA area.

Live Free or Die...

I am sorry to hear what a cesspool CA has become. At least some parts of the US are still much safer than others.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post

Live Free or Die...
I totally agree with you.I keep telling that to all my friends up in NH. Some of them think this is paradise down here,and i guess it is when your here for a week or two in February. But there's a big difference between visiting somewhere and living there. I beleive that for overall quality of life N.H. is definatly at the top of the list.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I totally agree with you.I keep telling that to all my friends up in NH. Some of them think this is paradise down here,and i guess it is when your here for a week or two in February. But there's a big difference between visiting somewhere and living there. I beleive that for overall quality of life N.H. is definatly at the top of the list.
The annual CNBC "Best states for business" report ranked NH #1 in quality of life compared to all other states.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:15 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Expect a LARGE influx of people into Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine in the years to come as the nation becomes more urban and dangerous. Honestly.......I laugh at people who are concerned about several months of cold weather, or it being too rural up here. Northern New England is the best place to live in the United States. Low population (about only 3.2 million people in the 3 states) low crime (towns, and whole regions that have the pace & feel of 1950s America) and beautiful lakes & mountains.

The smart people.....the people in the know, are moving up this way, and lot's of older people are retiring here. These retired folks know that they now have the Dartmouth-Hitchcock hospital to use.......and it's just as good, or better than Mass General in Boston.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 08-15-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Wealthy retirees often relocate to the Lakes Region where the property taxes are much lower. However, that area comprises a relatively small geographic portion of the state. I don't see as many middle-class retirees flocking to the higher tax towns in NH because who wants to pay 6-7K in property taxes every year?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Expect a LARGE influx of people into Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine in the years to come as the nation becomes more urban and dangerous. Honestly.......I laugh at people who are concerned about several months of cold weather, or it being too rural up here. Northern New England is the best place to live in the United States. Low population (about only 3.2 million people in the 3 states) low crime (towns, and whole regions that have the pace & feel of 1950s America) and beautiful lakes & mountains.

The smart people.....the people in the know, are moving up this way, and lot's of older people are retiring here. These retired folks know that they now have the Dartmouth-Hitchcock hospital to use.......and it's just as good, or better than Mass General in Boston.
I've been thinking the same thing. NH and the surrounding areas could seem like the last bastion of civilized society in a decade or two.

The OP's experience in CA could easily have happened in Florida, my area of Georiga, or where my sister-in-law lives in PA. Gangs are everywhere. Atlanta is heavily infested with gangs and they are spreading outwards in all directions. Who would think we have them here in what used to be a sleepy little town in Georiga? Now we have as laundry list of gangs in my little town. New teachers to our county are required to take 2 hours of gang identification training. After my husband went through that, he pointed out several gang members who were walking very close to us in a parking lot in a nearby town. They looked into our car and just gave us a bad vibe. We were there with our infant son.

When I was in college in middle Georgia, we had the bloods and crips.

There are a lot of people in denial because their little enclave is still ok and so far gangs mostly shoot each other, but as this economic noose tightens, things are going to hit the fan.

Here is an article about a recent gang killing in my town. There were also two gang members arrested at the local high school on the first day. (last year that same school had older gang members come on campus & into the cafeteria to try to start something. The school now has to pay for a security guard at the front gates)

Teens still in hospital from gang shooting

I could post recent crime stories from FL and GA that would make your head spin. Bottom line is life in NH is so far removed from what is becoming the new America. I wonder how long it can stay that way?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. NH and the surrounding areas could seem like the last bastion of civilized society in a decade or two.

The OP's experience in CA could easily have happened in Florida, my area of Georiga, or where my sister-in-law lives in PA. Gangs are everywhere. Atlanta is heavily infested with gangs and they are spreading outwards in all directions. Who would think we have them here in what used to be a sleepy little town in Georiga? Now we have as laundry list of gangs in my little town. New teachers to our county are required to take 2 hours of gang identification training. After my husband went through that, he pointed out several gang members who were walking very close to us in a parking lot in a nearby town. They looked into our car and just gave us a bad vibe. We were there with our infant son.

When I was in college in middle Georgia, we had the bloods and crips.

There are a lot of people in denial because their little enclave is still ok and so far gangs mostly shoot each other, but as this economic noose tightens, things are going to hit the fan.

Here is an article about a recent gang killing in my town. There were also two gang members arrested at the local high school on the first day. (last year that same school had older gang members come on campus & into the cafeteria to try to start something. The school now has to pay for a security guard at the front gates)

Teens still in hospital from gang shooting

I could post recent crime stories from FL and GA that would make your head spin. Bottom line is life in NH is so far removed from what is becoming the new America. I wonder how long it can stay that way?
In the long run, if things continune as they have been, the USA, and the West is finished. Until then.....we all need to do what is best for our families. I suspect northern New England will be ok for several decades. I agree with you though.......if people have not traveled outside of northern New England for a while they are going to be shocked at what is happening in a lot of the United States.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 PM

18 posts, read 39,504 times
I left NE in the late 70's for LA...took a promotion, wanted to experience SoCal......but told myself I'd go back to MA after a few years.....along came the man I married......and I never got back home. Instead I made homes for my family all over the country...due to my husband's work...we moved a lot....4 times to CA.....4 times too many. Now retired we looked at FL.....winters...but, doing research FL sounded too much like CA......NH is now a major consideration for us.....cold winters, but so much more to love.....and appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire