Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 31,104 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Southern NH area. I've been looking at homes for the past several weeks. So far I've looked in Nashua, Hollis, Bedford, and Windham. Most of the best candidates seem to be in Bedford and Windham. I work down in Waltham, MA, but I travel a fair amount (30-40%), can use Manchester Airport, and don't really mind a long commute when I'm not flying somewhere.

How would you compare and contrast these two towns?

My priorities:

1. Strong schools - I have a 5th grader.
2. Stable property values
3. Close to shopping
4. Upscale neighborhoods with larger (1.5-5 ac) lots
5. Easy highway access

I'm not concerned with perceived "snootiness." While I'm moving in from out west, I am a native northern New Englander and understand the culture.

Pluses and minuses of each town?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM

6,567 posts, read 6,731,727 times
Without getting into too much about both towns (I like them both) Windham has the advantage of not having Manchester's issues spill into town like Bedford has to deal with from time to time. For that reason alone I would pick Windham.....but that's just me Good luck.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
both towns have brand new high schools. Bedford has about 1,000 students. I'm not sure of the numbers attending Windham.

Windham is a closer to Waltham than Bedford is. It may not mean much, but 20 minutes can make a big difference after a long day and a looonnng commute.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 PM

557 posts, read 1,352,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
both towns have brand new high schools. Bedford has about 1,000 students. I'm not sure of the numbers attending Windham.

Windham is a closer to Waltham than Bedford is. It may not mean much, but 20 minutes can make a big difference after a long day and a looonnng commute.
I'm not so sure about this. I work in Chelmsford near 495/route 3, and live in Bedford NH. I just bought a house a week and a half ago and moved from Hudson NH on the Windham/Londonderry line.

It is by far an easier commute to Bedford than Windham, from Chelmsford. Plus, having lived and worked in Mass all over, I would not ever want to commute from Waltham, up route 128 all the way to 93, then up to SNH! Even if it was less miles "as the crow flies"

128 from Burlington and 93 through Methuen are a complete mess most days during rush hour. Route 3 is congested but not normally too badly above 495/lowell connector. That is many less miles of traffic.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
you gotta' point, bri. Route 3 involves tolls, but they are not too expensive, (compared to Route 16 and 95).

the other thing to keep in mind - 4. Upscale neighborhoods with larger (1.5-5 ac) lots

1.5 acre lots with homes might be doable...but 5 acres in either town is probably not.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post

1.5 acre lots with homes might be doable...but 5 acres in either town is probably not.
That is more or less the range I've seen so far, with 2.0 being typical. This is fine. I'm more concerned with the homes being in a quiet subdivsion rather than more like Hollis, which seems to have nice homes but mostly along country roads.

How about the school systems in either one, and proximity to shopping? I've seen the school rankings online, but does anyone have practical knowledge of the two?

Thanks for the help so far!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 AM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
Commuting from Bedford or Windham to Waltham will be a nightmare.

Since your job is in MA, you have to pay MA income tax anyways. Why not look at upscale towns north of Boston that give you better access to Waltham and Logan Airport? You won't get as big a lot, but towns like Andover, Lynnfield, Middleton and Boxford might be worth looking at as well.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Commuting from Bedford or Windham to Waltham will be a nightmare.

Why not look at upscale towns north of Boston that give you better access to Waltham and Logan Airport?
Philosophical reasons. I realize the commute is bad, and I accept that. It is worth it to me.

As far as taxes go, I understand I will only owe MA tax for time I am physically in MA, which will be about 50%.

I am trying to understand the differences between Bedford and Windham in terms of schools, access to shopping, and "desirability" (I guess, for lack of a better term) as a proxy for resale.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM

557 posts, read 1,352,828 times
Sorry, did not mean to steer the thread off course or in the wrong direction. I would also like to hear everyones comparison of the two towns!

My amateur opinion: Windham and Bedford are quite similar in desirability.

Also I would say, in my opinion, Bedford is a bit more desirable overall. The new high school, well thought of school system, closer proximity to Manchester/Nashua and shopping/amenities and overall "activity" would be the clinchers.

Bedford has more in the way of suburban "cookie cutter" neighborhoods than Windham, although Windham is evolving in that direction. Otherwise both towns are easily highway accessible, suburban but not too rural, and are comparable price-wise. Windham closer to Massachusetts, but Bedford closer to city life and amenities. So, in essence they are comparable for the price regarding buying, selling and desirability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire