Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM

176 posts, read 298,713 times

Advertisements

Yeah, calling that one too. Born and raised, almost 40 years, and summers were just as muggy back then, and winters just as snowy. We tend to get cycles of weather, every five/ten years, it feels like, so we'll have a miserable summer, then a few mild ones, the another scorcher. My guess is that age is catching up, as I'm not as able to deal with the heat as I was, either. The over-insulation is also a factor, and new Windows and sealing techniques will trap hot air, especially in upper floors.

And whether you are convinced by climate change theory or not, the overall changes are generally said to be on the order of a few degrees, with even drastic scenarios predicting a raise of ten degrees (for end-of-century doomsday scenarios, as compared to 1970s temps), so this wouldn't account for your discomfort. Even EPA on claims a 4 degree difference between current NE temps and those in 1910.

Your blood is just finally getting replaced with the antifreeze us natives were born with. ;p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 12:25 PM

238 posts, read 315,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Any proof of that? Globally, there is no warming. The temps have been flat since 1996 despite all the dire predictions....

The New York Times' Global Warming Hysteria Ignores 17 Years Of Flat Global Temperatures - Forbes
Setting aside that you ask for proof while citing an opinion piece on a business website, what if you go back further than 1996 and further forward than August 2013 when that opinion piece was written?

It turns out that 2013 was one of the ten warmest years on record and as of September 2014 is on course to be the warmest year on record.

What I think you're referring to however, is what's called the Global Warming Hiatus.

Until temperatures start going down I'm viewing this as the eye of the storm. All the carbon we've dumped into the atmosphere is simply not going to dissipate over a 15 year period. Humans have been burning fossil fuels at an ever increasing rate beginning with coal at the start of the industrial revolution ~1750 and show little signs of stopping (we're getting better here in the US thankfully).

For the people here who don’t believe in global warming, where in this sequence does the argument for global warming break down?
  1. Burning fossil fuels such as coal, oil, and natural gas releases CO2 into the atmosphere.
  2. CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
  3. Greenhouse gases trap heat in our environment.
  4. The trapped heat affects causes average temperatures to rise.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:23 PM

603 posts, read 622,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
So imagine if you will what it must be like ~750 miles south of NH?

It's just oppressive!! It gets hot in NY too (I'm from LI), but at least it cools down at night, overnight and the early morning. Here there is no break from the heat at all, no matter what time.
I sympathize, really. I spent one summer in southern Indiana and couldn't stand it. Sat by the air conditioner all day, went out at midnight hoping for fresh air, but hit by that blast of hot, fetid air. Everywhere the oppressive drone of gigantic outdoor air conditioners. It felt like there was just no refuge. Very depressing.

Were it not for air conditioning, huge tracts of the United States would be uninhabitable except by the young and vigorous.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Born and raised, almost 40 years, and summers were just as muggy back then, and winters just as snowy.
Not sure what you mean by "almost 40 years." I'm referring to the weather in the 1950s until the early 1970s. One difference that I notice is that in the "old days" a summer thunderstorm would sweep away the hot, humid area and bring in refreshing cool, dry air. That doesn't happen so much any more.

I remember needing a flannel sleeping bag for camping in northern Maine in those days. Now I barely camp at all in the summer due to the oppressive heat and humidity, even right on the coast of Maine. You have to go farther and farther north to escape the heat.

People who have lived in New England for 50 years or more report a definite change in summer temperatures that affects quality of life.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 PM

176 posts, read 298,713 times
Sorry to say, what I can find doesn't support that particular assumption.
Weather History for Manchester, NH [New Hampshire] for August claims to use data from weather stations.
New Hampshire Climate Audit - Monthly Data is of dubious pedigree, but also shows low or no increases in temp.
UNH News: UNH Reports: New Hampshire Getting Warmer, Wetter as Climate Changes has a PDF with a lovely chart showing high temps fairly close to those in the 50s, with that dip in the 70s that everyone though was the new ice age, that we'd run out of oil and become cavemen again.

Temps are increasing by a degree or two especially in the winter, enough to mess with weather, and it's getting a bit wetter. I think what you're referencing is that.

I do agree summers seem wetter, and may be muggier, which probably accounts for the discomfort. It was fun to do a little web slog for all that, didn't realize it was getting wetter more than warmer, and that I probably was correct that winters in the late 70s had more snow, and it wasn't just that I was three feet shorter.

I also wonder if having AC more available makes us think that the heat is less manageable?

And by "almost 40 years" I mean I am old enough to remember being worried about the USSR bombing us, but not old enough to have worn tie-dye and protested about it. And save for a couple years and wasted thousands at a college in VT, I've liked in the same small south central corner of NH.

I do still think we have antifreeze instead of blood, though.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I never lived in NH, but I did in NY. I don't know... I think I would much rather deal with 4-5 months of winter than 4-5 months of EXTREME heat and humidity - all day, all night too. (88 degrees at 9pm).

I'm in NC now as well and hate it here. Sure the weather is great now. But it was 85 degrees 4 days ago.
A few years ago, we considered moving to NH, but the winters kept us from pulling the plug. We moved to NC and lasted there just under a year, then moved back to FL. Now I'm feeling a pull to move back to NC for good, but the timing is not right. If we make the move, it'll be within 2-3 years. Funny thing is, while my wife and I watched the election results last night (particulary from NH, NC, and FL), she mentioned to me, "maye we should just find jobs in NH where much of our time will be working from home to avoid the cold!" All kidding aside, you're not liking NC too much? I thought I didn't like it either, but now that I've lived in both locations, I'd like to move there again for good. We lived outside of Raleigh and looking back, I realize it was a much better place than living here in Central FL. Oh well, no sense in crying over it. Fortunately, the option to move again is still open to us, so we'll see what the future holds. Good luck to you.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:57 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
A few years ago, we considered moving to NH, but the winters kept us from pulling the plug. We moved to NC and lasted there just under a year, then moved back to FL. Now I'm feeling a pull to move back to NC for good, but the timing is not right. If we make the move, it'll be within 2-3 years. Funny thing is, while my wife and I watched the election results last night (particulary from NH, NC, and FL), she mentioned to me, "maye we should just find jobs in NH where much of our time will be working from home to avoid the cold!" All kidding aside, you're not liking NC too much? I thought I didn't like it either, but now that I've lived in both locations, I'd like to move there again for good. We lived outside of Raleigh and looking back, I realize it was a much better place than living here in Central FL. Oh well, no sense in crying over it. Fortunately, the option to move again is still open to us, so we'll see what the future holds. Good luck to you.
I moved to NC thinking the lower COL and following a trend of folks moving from the Northeast (and Cali) must be the smart thing to do and it would make me happy. Wrong. Takes more than a few extra bucks in my wallet to make someone happy. A lot of people move here and LOVE IT. But I left too much up in the Northeast and I cannot tolerate the climate.

I also feel like this place has no soul. It's just one construction site after another, one cookie cutter neighborhood after another and no sense of community given this area is so transient.

NH is where we should have headed to begin with. But I have no regrets, because now I know

Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Sorry to say, what I can find doesn't support that particular assumption.

And by "almost 40 years" I mean I am old enough to remember being worried about the USSR bombing us, but not old enough to have worn tie-dye and protested about it.
A couple of quotes from the report you linked:

"Annual and seasonal minimum and maximum
temperatures have been increasing across northern
New Hampshire over the past one hundred years,
and the rate of warming has increased over the past
four decades."

"All three USHCN stations show significant warming trends in annual and most
seasonal minimum temperatures"

"Since 1960, the length of the growing season in
northern New Hampshire has increased by twelve
to forty-two days."

"As winter temperatures have risen over
the past several decades (Table 1), an update of the
1990 USDA hardiness zone map in 2006 revealed a
northward shift in hardiness zones, with approximately
one-third of New Hampshire shifting to a warmer
zone.29 Across the northeast, lilacs, apples, and grapes
also show earlier bloom dates, consistent with the
warming trend across the region."

Apparently you are too young to have experienced the cooler weather that I'm referring to, in the 1950s and 1960s. I'm only reporting what I've observed myself.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
We moved back to N.H. 3 years ago to a town just north of one of the areas you were looking into. There's so much to do around here in the winter that there's really not a whole lot of people trying to avoid the cold .Definetly one of the best decisions we ever made. That community you were looking into turned out really nice.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
We moved back to N.H. 3 years ago to a town just north of one of the areas you were looking into. There's so much to do around here in the winter that there's really not a whole lot of people trying to avoid the cold .Definetly one of the best decisions we ever made. That community you were looking into turned out really nice.
Sigh... I remember checking out Meredith, Laconia, Lake Winnipesaukee area, again, sigh... What might have been, no sense in stewing over it. Congrats on your move there. Which community are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire