U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 AM

12 posts, read 25,281 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Brookline. Due to working at home it is imperative that we have high speed internet. Could someone tell me some companies that offer it so I can check them out.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 AM

1,771 posts, read 3,037,242 times
My suggestion is to call the town hall and find out who provides telephone as well as cable service for the town. I am fairly sure you will have cable modem and DSL options...but call to double check (and perhaps even for the specific addresses you are looking at)- Brookline isn't that remote.

Many satellite providers also offer two-way satellite high speed internet to those with no other options. Due to the nature of the connection it is a high latency connection though (meaning that tasks requiring very frequent/near-instant momentary updates such as gaming will run very poorly...but things like large downloads/e-mail/web browsing will be fine). Satellite is line of site though- so weather and other objects (mountains/trees) can degrade/block the signal.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:11 AM

4,070 posts, read 7,918,463 times
Brookline, New Hampshire (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/htmlprofiles/brookline.html - broken link)

This provides information on the town of Brookline, including town hall numbers, utility info, etc.

Fairpoint (as in many towns) is provider of telephone and DSL services. While I had no problem with their service (unlike many...) they are known for making errors on their billing. In fact, one of their internal billing errors has resulted in a derogatory mark on my credit report, resulting in a rise of percentage rate on one of my credit cards. After 9+ months of dealing with them, the error is STILL not corrected.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM

3,859 posts, read 7,002,233 times
I would avoid Fairpoint. It is a mess and will be one for a very long time. You can google them and read about it on various message boards. There is even a thread or two here in the NH forums about the mess it is.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,128,928 times
sometimes you can't avoid Fairpoint. If they are the only carrier for the area, and all other (cable, cell phone) either don't cover or are way too expensive - there's no choice. I had to go with Fairpoint for our phone, and they had it hooked up a day early (luckily the house was vacant), and so far things seem ok.

but that aside, cable and satellite will also cover internet.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 25,281 times
thanks for the help...I hadn't ever heard of fairpoint.

so who does cable?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,037,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloobella View Post

so who does cable?
Depends on the town...we have Charter, but there is Comcast and I think a few others in the state.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,128,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloobella View Post
Apparently Verizon decided they didn't want to offer landline service in NH anymore, so they sold to a company called Fairpoint. Unfortunately some dim bulb in the higher up thought that during the aquisition period would be a lovely time to also do a global software update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire