Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I was wondering what type of garden can you have in NH?

What type of fruits & veggies can you grow in NH?
I believe you are able to grow BLUEBERRIES in NH? If so, in what part of the state is it done best?
Are blueberries grown in NH different in tasting & quality from the ones grown in other states?
I am trying to get an idea of the type of soil in NH?
Is Northern NH better or worst for growing fruits & veggies?
Also what is your growing season, from what month till what?

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Take care,
Countrylv22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
I grow Corn, ( Silver Queen) Peppers, potatoes, tomatoes,(Romain's, and bittersweet) Habanaro peppers, 4 different squash, as well as zucchini in my garden. Blue berry's, raspberries, and black berries, Straw berry's, grow wild around here in Northern NH. And Southern NH as well. Our season goes from about the first week of may til November. However I have had pumpkins ready at Halloween without frost. I wouldn't grow anything that has longer than 160 day cycle. aside from Onions, or Garlic. I don't know many that have luck with carrots but all else grows fine. Corn Loves the soil just add some 5-5-5 . Blue Hubbard's grow real good as well.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:21 PM

Thumbs up To Nhyrnut! Thank You So Much & ???

Hello NHYRNUT!

I hope that you are well! Once again, thank you for always answering questions on this forum! You are very helpful!

I am so happy to hear that you are able to grow so many different veggies! That is great news!
I hope that I do not sound ignorant, but why do carrots have a hard time there? How long do they need? I thought thay did well with cold temps...

Do you know if broccolli & spinach can grow there?

Also, do you have problems with animals coming in and eating everything up? How have you prevented this? And is it costly to do so?

Thank you so much!
Take care,
COUNTRYLV22

Old 04-29-2007, 07:22 AM

46 posts, read 114,311 times
We grew broccolli last year and it kept coming and coming. We thought it would never end. Someone told me it was because of all the rain we had. We also had good luck with green beans and eggplant too. Our biggest animal problem was our own dogs. So We put a fence up. When I was younger my parents had an animal problem so we also had to put a fence up. My husband says Deer, racoon etc all can be a problem depending on where you live. Have fun with your garden.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

I am so happy to hear that you are able to grow so many different veggies! That is great news!
I hope that I do not sound ignorant, but why do carrots have a hard time there? How long do they need? I thought thay did well with cold temps...

Do you know if broccolli & spinach can grow there?

Also, do you have problems with animals coming in and eating everything up? How have you prevented this? And is it costly to do so?

Thank you so much!
Take care,
COUNTRYLV22
My Grand Father grows Broccoli, and Cauliflower, with Great success every year. Squash Bugs are Very abundant up here. Only the last couple years though. Can't seem to control them. No one has found anything that works aside from a pesticide that is so strong it was banned. So we just do alot of squishing lol. Deer and Rabbits and a occasional mole will get into the Garden, but I just put out some Flakes of Ivory soap and it is a good deterrent. Don't know why it works but it does. And I honestly can't tell you why carrots grow so bad, as you said they are a cold weather crop. But Neither I nor others I know, that have tried can get them to grow. And I don't mean 1 or 2. I mean like about 15 others. No one seems to know. But all have tried different things to get them to grow. Spinach grows good here, as does Boston lettuce. I have done both of those over the years. If you get a major problem with animals an Electric fence will deter as well. They are very cheap and if your in the country, They are a good investment.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 PM

111 posts, read 485,105 times
The wife has grown all of the veggies mentioned in these posts. She also has grown peas, beans, brussel sprouts and radishes too. We did have to put up a "Rabbit Fence" to keep out raccons and woodchucks. You can buy Rabbit Fence at Home Depot and it's not very expensive. Nothing can stop chipmunks from getting into the corn though. My neighbor has a couple of peach trees that bear fruit every year. We have a bunch of wild blueberry bushes at the back of our property. The wife used to pick them but she leaves them to the birds and pheasants now.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:43 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
The wife has grown all of the veggies mentioned in these posts. She also has grown peas, beans, brussel sprouts and radishes too. We did have to put up a "Rabbit Fence" to keep out raccons and woodchucks. You can buy Rabbit Fence at Home Depot and it's not very expensive. Nothing can stop chipmunks from getting into the corn though. My neighbor has a couple of peach trees that bear fruit every year. We have a bunch of wild blueberry bushes at the back of our property. The wife used to pick them but she leaves them to the birds and pheasants now.
There is a deterrent for chipmunks.... Shoot one with a shotgun in front of a group of others, and nuff said

Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Hello CINDY2366!

Thank you for the advice & input!
Having a garden there sounds like a lot of fun! Its the animals that I am NOT looking forward to! HA HA HA!
I am glad to know that broccoli does well there!
Thank you so much!
Take care!

COUNTRYLV22

Hello NHYRNUT!

Thank you once again for your help!
I think I am going to have to get a fence for sure! HA HA ! I will also do the soap flakes like you mentioned. Good idea! And I do not think it can harm the food, right?
Regarding the SQUASH bugs, I wonder why so many bugs eating them up!
Especially since it seems that squash is a popular veggie there, and there is nothing to get rid of them?? Also do they get into the pumpkins? I thought that squash & pumpkins were related, not sure...?
Are PUMPKINS safe from the bugs?

Thanks a lot!
Take care,
COUNTRYLV22

Hello WOODCHUCK!

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!
It seems that there alot more animals there than I suspected, ha ha ha!
So the fence is in order! Is a RABBIT fence the same as an electric fence?
If not, which one is higher? Which one protects more against EVERYTHING!?

Thanks a lot!
COUNTRYLV22

Hello TORREY!

Thank you for the input!
Countrylv22

Last edited by Yac; 04-30-2007 at 06:01 AM..

Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 AM

111 posts, read 485,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Hello WOODCHUCK!

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!
It seems that there alot more animals there than I suspected, ha ha ha!
So the fence is in order! Is a RABBIT fence the same as an electric fence?
If not, which one is higher? Which one protects more against EVERYTHING!?

Thanks a lot!
COUNTRYLV22
A Rabbit Fence is non-electric. The one I have is 30" tall. It seems to do the job. Chipmunks are not a big problem as we have a couple of cats that help deter them. The wife has plastic snakes she places around the peremeter of the garden that I don't know whether they help or not but she seems to think so. Actually, she doesn't plant corn anymore as you can buy it cheap enough at the Farmer Stands. Oddly enough, I have live here going on 24 years and I have only seen one rabbit. My property boarders a wooded wildlife sanctuary so you would think there would be more. I guess the coyote, fox and fishers keep them at bay.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
We had a veggie garden in NYS and we used human hair and panty hose to deter the animals <g>.....Old panty hose cut up, got hair from a hairdresser/barber shop and wrapped the hair in the panty hose and put it around the garden and inside the garden - it worked for us! The only "critters" we had to worry about where we were were the deer, chipmunks and squirrels......in a pinch, we also used the hair we collected from brushing our dog.....not sure if this would work up here, but it worked there....I know, sounds weird, but it did the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire