U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2009, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 26,206 times

Advertisements

New to this forum and looking for information on the Oyster River School District area. We are looking for a top notch education system and friendly area. Would like to hear from people that live or have moved there and what they think. Any areas that are recommended over others. Any info you can send will be greatly appreciated. We live in MA and just want a live and let live area. We have lived on the Cape most of our lives and are tired of people moving here and wanting to change it. Thank you for your time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 PM

733 posts, read 842,915 times
Oyster River Schools have an excellent reputation, backed up by hard data on greatschools.net. I have never heard a complaint about them, although I don't have firsthand knowledge. I don't think you can go wrong there....

Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 PM

Thank you steveusaf. We have visited the area many times and are very happy with the area.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 PM

4,057 posts, read 7,830,946 times
Welcome to the forum, Escape. New Hampshire seems to have the same problem you're having down on the Cape... People move to here (and there) to escape, and once they're here, they want to change it (usually into what they've left behind). Hopefully you will love NH just the way it is

I know 3 families who live within the Oyster River district. They LOVE the schools, but they were considering moving because the taxes are (the feel) out of control. I nearly fell on the floor to see the tax bill of nearly 8K per year on a little 3-br Cape-style house in Lee, where the rate is 24.69 per thousand. Durham is 28.24, and Madbury is a relative bargain at 19.61 per thousand. All 3 are nice towns, just know what you're getting into and how much the tax burden may increase your monthly payment and decrease your mortgage approval amount..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapethecape View Post
New to this forum and looking for information on the Oyster River School District area. We are looking for a top notch education system and friendly area. Would like to hear from people that live or have moved there and what they think. Any areas that are recommended over others. Any info you can send will be greatly appreciated. We live in MA and just want a live and let live area. We have lived on the Cape most of our lives and are tired of people moving here and wanting to change it. Thank you for your time.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 AM

877 posts, read 1,671,029 times
One note on taxes in Madbury - the town has created several new conservation areas, some in conjunction with Durham or Dover, and with County and State backup too. The town has spent several million $ on this in the last few years and that is one factor in the current tax rate. However, it has resulted in the town staying more like it is/was. Note of caution: there are still a couple of very large land owners that are looking to sell for development and the town will not have the money to buy easements on those properties. If any large developments go up, we'll see tax rates more like Lee to support the new roads, emergency services, and our share of the OR school costs.

On the other hand, the taxes in Durham see to be due to nothing short than the spend-spend-spend nature of that town's political management.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the notes. I pay 6300.00 in real estate taxes and because I am on a private road the town won't plow or sand the road. I had to buy my own bobcat and plow to clear my own road. As for wanting to change NH never, I want it to stay the way it is.! That is why we want to move, good schools and quiet friendly people. I quess my biggest fear is being accepted into the community. I am a high school teacher and my wife stays home to take care of our 3 children. I just want the best for my family. We are looking to make the move next summer if all goes well. We just want as much info as possible to make a educated decision.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,250,098 times
"If any large developments go up, we'll see tax rates more like Lee to support the new roads, emergency services, and our share of the OR school costs."

new developments bring in a slew of new monies to pay for roads and schools - just 20 new homes at $5K in property taxes is $100K in new revenue for the town

Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 AM

877 posts, read 1,671,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
"If any large developments go up, we'll see tax rates more like Lee to support the new roads, emergency services, and our share of the OR school costs."

new developments bring in a slew of new monies to pay for roads and schools - just 20 new homes at $5K in property taxes is $100K in new revenue for the town
$5K is less, unfortunately, than the cost to educate per year, the average 1 child that each of those 20 homes will bring to the town (they won't be building retirement homes here!)

Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 AM

4,057 posts, read 7,830,946 times
This is the same argument that they're using in Londonderry--that the property tax revenue will offset the cost to the town in school, police, fire, etc. Unfortunately, the numbers just don't add up, and new construction (even though roads, etc are paid by the developer) actually COSTS the towns money....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post

Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 PM

This is the same problem we have on the Cape. The towns are buying up as much land as they can to slow(stop) developement they say to keep the Cape like it was. This would be great if it were not for the monster trophy homes that are being built were a small cottage was or the beautiful view that is now a oversized 2 week per year home. That trophy homes brings in good tax dollars but that is a double edge sword, taxes go up young families move out as has been disussed here too many times to count. Most of the larger school systems on the Cape have seen enrollment go down in recent years. Some of the smaller schools have seen small increases, but that does not compare to Barnstable being down close to 300 students as was in the Times this week-end. Young families are moving away at a scary pace, our median age keeps going up, taxes keep getting higher and services keep going down for the young. We have lived on the Cape for over 30 years and are coming to the harsh decision that it is time to go. We are still looking for as much info about the Oyster River School District as posssible as it is looking like our new home.
Again THANK YOU all for your input it is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire