U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,859 times
Default booking a ski trip to NH

Hi, I am thinking about going up to Maine or New Hampshire to ski for Thanksgiving weekend. What's the best website to use to book packages for this trip? I've looked on the mountain resorts' websites, but they seem to charge a premium in comparison to other independent brokers. Orbitz and Expedia don't bundle their lodging costs with equipment rentals, lift tickets, etc. There are independent hotels and lodges that offer attractive rates and free tickets if you stay with them, but they all seem very obsecure (no online booking, no details about hotel condition). If anyone knows some good websites to book a trip, please do share. Also, please only mention sites that can book trips to resorts that will definetly be open during Thanksgiving. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 PM

72 posts, read 107,364 times
It is really quite difficult to book a thanksgiving skiing trip, in nh or maine, this far out. All the progonosticators are calling for an early start to the season but the thanksgiving weekend can be anything from wide open to one trail (white ribbon of death).

What is important to you? Conditions? Apres? Variety of terrain? Cost? Other activites? Shopping?

If limited to nh/maine and forced to book this far out I would opt for Sunday River. They have been the first to open in the east for a number of years and are the best bet in nh/maine to have more than a handfull of trails open thanksgiving weekend.

Options for a trip include:

-going through the moutain for a package (most expensive)
-slope side condo on craigs list and rentals on the access road (best value)
-off mountain bargain hotel and rentals down in the flat lands

Alternates to sunday river include: bretton woods, sugarloaf, wildcat or killington, sugarbush and mount snow in vt

alpinezone.com would also be a good place to ask your question

i know i did not directly answer your question but i spend an inordinate amount of time following the northern new england ski industry and am not aware of any web site that would offer a good deal on the package you are requesting for thanksgiving weekend, this far out

let me know if i can offer any additional advice

Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 PM

756 posts, read 1,704,391 times
yeah thanksgiving might be a bit early for ski-able snow in NE. I 100% agree with the poster above....Sunday River is your best bet if something will be open that weekend. If it is, don't expect it to be 100% open or have a very deep base. It will most likely be man made and a icey but the tickets will be discounted.

Most of the on mountain lodging will be through the resort itself. Outside you can find plenty of smaller bed and breakfasts or even rent a cabin or a house. Once you pick a resort just google rentals for it. You should find plenty. There aren't really too many chain hotels near any of the northern resorts.

For lift ticket discounts try liftopia.com.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 AM

33,371 posts, read 28,007,444 times
I suggest buying a charter boat package out of Portsmouth or Rye and forget skiing as early as Thanksgiving. If skiing is that important try Mt. Tremblant in Quebec or somewhere else in the Laurentian mountains.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,872,329 times
As everyone has mentioned, skiing is very iffy at Thanksgiving. There will be limited terrain with lots of people packed on it. That said, if you really want to go your best bets will be Sunday River in Maine or Killington or Okemo in Vermont. These places blow tons of manmade snow and try to have as much open as possible during the holiday periods.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,100,347 times
avid skiers here - thanksgiving in NH is too early - we regularly ski at Killington, VT during that holiday. They generally have a trail or two open with snowmaking. (In Killington speak, that equals 10 trails., ie., the name on the trail changes 4 times on the way down..LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire