Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,982,151 times

Advertisements

as you can see, it's an unending debate on the wood v pellet stoves Everyone has their favorite and likes it better than the other. Which says to me that it's pretty much a toss up and go with whatever is better for you, taking all the aspects into consideration. Too bad there's no way to make up a pro-con table and file it somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
IMHO the primary advantages of pellet stoves are less handling of the fuel and ash and thermostatic control. Major disadvantages are they have the ambiance of a black iron box and the fuel costs more.

Environmental advantage goes to the pellet burners because they use waste wood from trees cut fro another purpose more efficiently with fewer pollutants.

My personal preference, if I ever could afford I, would be a anthracite coal/gas stove for the kitchen with separate electric ovens and a free standing small anthracite coal stove for the living area. These stoves burn trees that died 10s of millions of years ago. Besides I grew up with this fuel and kind of like the smell. Nostalgia time.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,297,800 times
My in-laws built a home (3000+ sq ft) in northern NH (Littleton) and had a soapstone fireplace put it. They burn a few sticks of wood in the morning and evening and the soapstone retains its heat and radiates it throughout the day. Last winter they didn't use their furnace but once and that was just to check if it worked.

The house would stay around 70F throughout the day and night in the winter with just a few pieces of wood. Amazing. They get their wood from their land so it's free.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
wheelsup. soapstone = pricy at first but cheap to feed and very nice.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:38 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,101,204 times
"Last winter they didn't use their furnace but once and that was just to check if it worked".

even when I run the stoves, the furnace routinely kicks in to heat hot water.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,046,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
even when I run the stoves, the furnace routinely kicks in to heat hot water.
Just a heads up...there are finally really good instant electric hot water heaters out there that can heat a lot of water with a high temperature rise. The downer of course is you will need your electrical service uprated because the good units pull tremendous power (110+ amps) at full load...but its only momentary of course.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM

148 posts, read 387,904 times
wheelsup .....when you stated your in-laws put in a soapstone fireplace did you mean one of those soapstone stoves or an actual fireplace lined with soapstone?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,218,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer View Post
wheelsup .....when you stated your in-laws put in a soapstone fireplace did you mean one of those soapstone stoves or an actual fireplace lined with soapstone?
I think their actually called masonary heaters. A friend of mine had one built by a mason out of Franklin a few years ago.Expensive to have built,but he really loved it. Build one really hot fast burning fire early in the day, and it just keeps on radiating heat for a long time. He also had a wood heater in the basement for those super cold days so i'm not sure if those masonary heaters could actually heat a whole house.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 AM

148 posts, read 387,904 times
Thanks KenE I had never seen those masonry heaters before. Very interesting. I am going to look into them more.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM

219 posts, read 364,213 times
Thanks everyone for the comments and recommendations. We are going with a propane furnace and pellet stove in the living room.

Does anybody have any opinions regarding pellet vs multi-fuel stoves? As I understand multifuel need to be manually lit. Is anybody burning any of the alternate fuels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire