U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 6,758 times
Default relocating from tx

Hi everyone my family is highly thinking of making a huge jump and move to NH next month. We're young parents (both 26). My family is from NH and his are here in TX they seem to think that the cost of living is sooo much higher. That we are not going to make it with the pay he is on now. He works at home depot and my sister in law who will be with us works at good ol wallyworld(walmart) theres so many pluses about nh we just need eassurance that it is livable. how much are average cost of utilities and gas? what about an apartment or rental house in a good area? what about pre3( school for 3 yr olds)? Any advice/ hel would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:14 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,823,240 times
Here was my life in Frisco, Texas.

Rent: 850.00
A/C: 300 per month
Food: 200-300 per month (2 people)
water: 50 per month
Highest Wage: $24.00 per hour

New Hampshire

Rent: 1500.00 per month
Propane: 350.00 per month (wintertime)
Electric: 150-200 per month
Food: 300 per month, and that's ramen noodles and tuna. its expensive up here.
Gas: 2.49 per gallon
No income or sales tax, but property taxes are higher than texas I would imagine.

HIGHEST WAGE: $12.00 per hour. and I was told to be thankful for that!

Good luck to you up here, without a profession, college degree, or knowing someone who's related to someone who can get u a decent job, it takes some great luck to land a good paying job. Now not everyone is paying huge and high rent, we kinda got stuck with pets and had to settle, but I feel the wages aren't enough to afford life up here unless you're a rich tourist sometimes.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 AM

33,264 posts, read 27,429,424 times
Katlakat summed it up. Nice place but decent paying jobs require a fairly high skill level.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 AM

I hope I didn't sound really negative, I'm like a huge optimist with bright and cheery demeanor that makes some people nauseous.

However, in my research and talking to my sister before we made the long haul back home to NH, I didn't get the right facts.

Take into consideration not having any children for example. We end up paying taxes each year to the IRS, we have nothing to claim. Also, we have to pull out of our IRA's and pensions to afford life up here, which is NOT GOOD, and we have to pay penalties.

We all three had to go back to college and earn our degrees, and even that's not any type of guarantee because there are not many jobs from what I've looked at up here, and everyone has a degree it feels like already. They work the job of 5 people because companies are for sale up here, laying off and closing, and they won't hire more people until this economy changes.

It's a bad time right now for anything drastic, because it just feels unstable out there. But, on the bright side, you might your perfect niche, and do just fine. It's all about perspective, and lots of luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 AM

148 posts, read 233,341 times
Katlakat you stated you spend 150 to 200 per month on electricity. Is that during the summer months? Is electricity that high in NH or do you have a lot going? Just wondering. Looking at my current bill here in KY I use about 25 kwh/day and my bills run around $60 a month. If you don't mind my asking how many kwh/day do you average. I am just trying to get a handle on costs for my eventual move. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 AM

MT Dreamer - you have the TVA (a government boondoggle) and we have Public Service of NH ( a private semi regulated boondoggle). Our rate is 0.16 $/kw-hr.

My electric bill for a modest condo is about $100 per month in the summer and close to $300 per month in the winter. We almost heat the place with the very expensive electricity.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM

148 posts, read 233,341 times
Wow GregW. I checked my rate and I pay .05879 per kwH. That is quite a difference. Do you use a lot of AC during the summer?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer View Post
Katlakat you stated you spend 150 to 200 per month on electricity. Is that during the summer months? Is electricity that high in NH or do you have a lot going? Just wondering. Looking at my current bill here in KY I use about 25 kwh/day and my bills run around $60 a month. If you don't mind my asking how many kwh/day do you average. I am just trying to get a handle on costs for my eventual move. Thanks.
I think it is us. Everyone tells me they always spend less than 100 bucks on electricity, but we have three people living in a huge split level 3bd/2.5 bath house.

only the upstairs and half the downstairs is insulated. We run the A/C in the windows when it gets hot and humid, and we have 4 computers running at all times. I shut off lights, unplug stuff, I try like Hell to cut it down, but it gets up there no matter what we do.

I shut off my pc at night, but my husband has to leave his on because he's on call 24/7 for IT Tech work. The others are laptops that power down I think.

We have a washer/dryer that runs constantly because three people are always washing something. We don't have a dishwasher, but something is always going because someone is always here at least 24/7, that's me. LOL

Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 AM

Home heat home

We operate one stand up freezer, a basement dehumidifier, 40 gallon water heater and a kitchen refrigerator/freezer full time. We also use small baseboard heaters in the bathrooms in the winter. We do not have any air conditioning. The house remains reasonably comfortable in the summer with the indoor temperature rarely going above 85 deg.

We have installed a fairly large floor fan in the small bedroom that serves as a full house ventilator in the summer. It sucks the warm air out at night and the cooler air comes in our bedroom window. We use this system from roughly April to mid November. We can sleep comfortably in a 45 deg room.

The condo also has electric base board heat in every room. We have not used these heaters for the last 25 years. Waste heat from the dehumidifier, freezer and cloths dryer add heat the basement. I use a small space heater if I have to work down there on very cold days. The living room/dining area is heated with a 1500 watt directional infrared space heater aimed at us. We also use incandescent lighting that adds another 500 watts or so. We also do a fair amount of baking in the winter so the waste heat from the electric oven heats the kitchen. The main source of heat is the double sliding glass doors facing south east. The direct solar gain on a sunny winter day is incredible. Generally no extras heat is needed between 10 AM and 3 PM when the sun goes behind the building.

Over all we try and wring every possible kW-hr we buy as hard as possible. Our heating bill in the winter is about 1/2 of our neighbors.

If I ever have the time and money to build a new house it would probably be a timber frame wrapped in insulated panels. The windows would face south and east and the north and west sides would be as window free as possible. I would site the house so the NW and NE breezes would ventilate the house in summer.

I would use in floor radiant heating in the basement, first and upstairs bathroom. The water would be heated by a natural gas furnace if gas was available. I would use it as the preferred fuel with electric ovens in the kitchen. I would probably set up a combination of solar voltaic / solar heat collector panels to supplement the fuel fired furnace.

If I really had the time I would design and build (I have been a machine designer, machinist, mechanic and builder in the past) a small co-generation power plant based around a Lister CS diesel running on waste cooking oil. It would supply both electricity and warm water. This would be mostly a hobby with a practical use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire