Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 12,419 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking to move to either Portland, Maine, or Manchester, NH next year. I am applying for grad school at University of Southern Maine and Southern New Hampshire University. Obviously, a good part of my decision will be based on school but I was curious to know others' opinions on the two areas.

Also- any info on the schools and their reputations would be much appreciated as well. I have applied to a few other schools also, but it would be great to be in NE!

Thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
I really like living in NH. Love it and would highly suggest it.

For college though, I would prefer to be in Portland.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,381 times
Portland is a MUCH nicer town than Manch...and it's not so much because manchester is bad, but Portland is so great....especially for someone in their 20s or 30s.

For me it would be a no brainer....Portland.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 PM

21 posts, read 58,982 times
I can't say too much about the schools because I didn't go to either one of them. I do know people who went to both though lol. I am from Manchester originally and moved from Manchester to northern NH about 4 years ago. I'm not a big fan of the city anymore. I feel like it has gotten so congested traffic-wise and has also gotten quite costly to live there. Actually that's all of NH it seems. I never lived in Portland but have been there numerous times and loved it. It's a much hipper town in my opinion and it's on the water which is nice. Both have crazy snow and very cold winters, both have beautiful foliage, NH doesn't have a sales tax while ME does. That's one difference. It may come down to the schools in the end. I just personally think that Portland is a nicer town. You'd think I'd stick up for where I've lived for almost my whole life lol. Guess that's not the case!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Portland is a MUCH nicer town than Manch...and it's not so much because manchester is bad, but Portland is so great....especially for someone in their 20s or 30s.

For me it would be a no brainer....Portland.
Yup. Portland has a great food scene (check out the recent article in the New York Times online), it's on the water, Old Port is really cute, there's a train to Boston. You'd be going to school so taxes shouldn't be much of an issue. It's a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire