U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM

247 posts, read 334,605 times

Advertisements

We had mountain lions in our neighborhood when we lived in Colorado. They're pretty common along the foothills (Boulder has a lot of them). I never heard of them bothering humans, but they sure did like to pluck dogs out of people's back yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,322,068 times
a cougar was spotted in Milton last year. There wre pictures taken of the beast and tracks and scat. However....because a F&G official did not take the pictures...it was not relevant.

Considering Milton is not that far from Barnstead, it could be the same cat. IMO there are more than one though. Some of you may not remember, but just a couple of decades ago, F&G denied there were coyotes in NH too.

in the mass of unconfirmable reports, a few stand out. Some are from highly credible people, including a retired director of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Vermont and Maine both confirmed cougar signs in 1994.

100 people each year report seeing a mountain lion or evidence of one.

last year I was hiking Belknap Mt. off the trails. At one point I smelled the extremely strong scent of cat urine. Because I was fairly isolated - no houses in view for miles in any direction, I quickly went down the mountain. It could have been just a bobcat...but I wasn't taking chances. I believe the big cats are here and have always been here.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM

755 posts, read 1,759,189 times
Quote:
We had mountain lions in our neighborhood when we lived in Colorado. They're pretty common along the foothills (Boulder has a lot of them). I never heard of them bothering humans, but they sure did like to pluck dogs out of people's back yards.
Exactly....they are common around most of the major western cities including San Diego, LA, San Fran, and all over CO, AZ, NM, etc etc etc. Sure there might be an incident every few years but overall it's the last thing someone should freak out about. It's like worrying about a shark attack...sure the possibility exists and you should be cognizant of it, but I wouldn't stop going to the beach.

In the eastern US though people just don't seem to be used to living with or near wildlife and freak out if they see it. You have no idea how many times I hear people freak out because they saw a snake, a coyote, a fisher, a skunk, etc. in their neighborhoods.

The Fish and Game's hesitancy to confirm is completely understandable because of the firestorm it would bring. They are already strapped for cash as it is and just wouldn't have the money and manpower to deal with every "concerned citizen".

Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 AM

110 posts, read 216,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There are lots of cougars in New Hampshire. They can usually be found hanging around the popular nightclubs although I have heard some favor high school football games as hunting grounds,

Just kidding, I think?
LOL I thought I was the only one thinking that when I saw the thread topic

Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,979,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There are lots of cougars in New Hampshire. They can usually be found hanging around the popular nightclubs although I have heard some favor high school football games as hunting grounds
Whatever town reports the first confirmed sighting will be forever known as "Cougar-town"...

Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 PM

755 posts, read 1,759,189 times
Quote:
Whatever town reports the first confirmed sighting will be forever known as "Cougar-town"...
....and it will subsequently see an influx of males age 18-25.....

Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,151,423 times
What are you waiting for????....BAG HER!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,931,874 times
Talking I will lock my Son in the house!

Last thing I need is some middle aged cougar chasing after my young son!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 PM

3,720 posts, read 2,924,010 times
Every year,in areas where cougars are common,dozens of sightings are reported to authorities and investigated.In a very large number of cases,when the animal is actually located,it turns our to be nothing more than a big tom bobcat.Could this be what citizens are seeing?Since cougars are not supposed to be in New England and imaginations can play tricks,especially at night,bobcats could be the answer.Most city and town dwellers are not very familiar with wild mammals,and could be mistaken.Am not saying no cougars in NE,they have been verified in the Midwest,so they could be there.Would help if a scat or hair sample could be found and tested,or better still,a good photo.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,204,626 times
Cougar?
What's she doing here
http://www.yuhmm.com/wp-content/uploads/courtney_cox_cougar_yuhmm_12-565x748.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire