U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,120,060 times
On Elivios..to me Elvios is the best pizza in recent or long term memory ( meaning I can still taste it in my mind) The only competitor to me was the old Luigis when it was on what I believe was Hall street. I remember Elvios when they were set up on the Wiers, good stuff, it makes even me a die hard pepperoni boy lust after white piizza

Let me preface the next by stating that I loath the 99 although a great many people like it, but even they do a turkey dinner better then Harts. This place ranks in the top five of the all time worst places to eat to me. To those of you who like it, well we agree to disagree I guess.

Theos, a tiny little hole in the wall landmark on Elm street is THE place to go for bbq lamb. In fact most anything you get at Theos, apart from the fish imo is going to be good and filling. Theos is like eating at home, the staff and diners are familar and happy with each other for the most part, and Esther is a local celebrity .

In the Concord area? Pull into Beefside on route 3 I love the French did sandwich or their Rubens ( there was a time I could eat both, but not anymore)

Sadly this thread reminds me of the many good dining establishments. Angelos. There were and are better Italian restaurants then Angelos, but few that made you feel more at home. This recurring theme is as important to me as the food. Some places make feel like a cog on an assembly line, others make me feel like nothing at all, but the few, then enduring ones make me feel at home. Whether chain or independent matters not. In fact the hallmark of a good chain is that they make you feel at home, and your local franchise is just that..local! Anni Etellis in Merrimack was a close second, better food wise but less homey
I currently do not have a local favorite for Italian, I guess the best in the region at the moment would be Mama Leones in Hampton.

Pablos. If Pablos were here I would go to Margaritas, La Carretas, Cancun, Shortys, and Crazy Gringo lot's less.
La Carreta and Cancun are currently my favorites though, rumors abound as to why they are similar ( read almost carbon copy) but each has it's slight nuance, I believe La Carreta makes better use of anise in particular and Cancun employs a better use of spices overall.

City Flame ..BBQ . It can be hit or miss, that's bad..But even the misses are better bbq fair then you will find at most bbq joints around here.
This is the closet thing this city has had to Down and Dirty , well since Down and Dirty. The pulled pork sandwich is loaded with well rubbed, sweet smoky pulled pork with plenty of bark to sink your teeth into. The ribs are so so, but I don't come here for the ribs, I come for the pulled pork. MAke it sopping wet if you like, or leave it bone dry, or perhaps somewher in between, it is good eating.

Hit or miss is part of bbq, I know from personal experience, even the most proficient pit master has no control over the meat itself, they can marinate, rub, and smoke it perfectly, but if the meat ain't up to par the que won't be.

Which leads me to KC's rib shack. This place bounces all over the place, I have had great que there and I have had BLAH! that ain't que there. This means enter at your own risk, you could leave satisfied beyond your dreams or disappointed beyond compare.

I have more but I have rambled long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM

15,204 posts, read 20,751,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
In the Concord area? Pull into Beefside on route 3 I love the French did sandwich or their Rubens ( there was a time I could eat both, but not anymore)

I love Beefside in Boscawen. I was just there a few weeks ago.

The other good BBQ place I like is Yankee Smokehouse in West Ossipee.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM

2,139 posts, read 2,601,025 times
Is The Muddy River still in Portsmouth. I haven't been back in a while.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 PM

257 posts, read 379,743 times
In Seabrook, we have Jasmine's Roast Beef and Seafood, Tripoli Bakery, Brown's, Butcher Shop & Seafood ($3 steakburger and fries, right now), Prime Time Sports Bar & Grill is reasonable, and even the Wendy's here is surprising good for fast food. You might also try Seabrook House of Pizza or the Hot Dog stand in front of Home Depot around lunch time.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 AM

680 posts, read 1,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Is The Muddy River still in Portsmouth. I haven't been back in a while.
It is still there.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 AM

137 posts, read 189,358 times
For cheap seafood, I like Tinker's in N. Manchester. It's in a strip mall just south of exit 9s, I-93, next to Bonneville car dealer. Sure wish they'd clean their bathrooms better, though.

Mark

Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 AM

282 posts, read 776,243 times
Second Tinkers....great seafood! Right next door is La Caretta's....a great Mexican restaurant...really nice on the inside! For Italian in Manchester, you gotta go to Picola's on Elm Street.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM

1,771 posts, read 2,932,173 times
Ok...I think I'm missing something. Do I need to order my food with some special code-word or "spicy" at La Caretta? I've had it several times and its always been decent at best...not particularly flavorful or exciting.

I love Mexican...so I feel like I'm missing out.

I would also add that while Shorty's is not authentic in any way...they have some great food!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 PM

282 posts, read 776,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Ok...I think I'm missing something. Do I need to order my food with some special code-word or "spicy" at La Caretta? I've had it several times and its always been decent at best...not particularly flavorful or exciting.

I love Mexican...so I feel like I'm missing out.

I would also add that while Shorty's is not authentic in any way...they have some great food!
hhhmmmmm???don't think there is any code word....not sure?!! Maybe I think it is ok because I don't like wicked spicy things??? And, yes...I like Shorty's a lot, too!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I second Hart's. Although it is in the Lakes region and not southern NH, if you are ever in Meredith check it out-good food, real homestyle feel. I love their stuffing.

just to add to this, Hart's opened a secondary place in Manchester where hooters used to be , exit 6 rotary off 293. so know we can get our turkey fix in Manchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire