Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,990 times

Advertisements

I am an athletic director renting on the coast of Maine. Im trying to get ideas on new places to move to hopefully in the upcoming years. I am not native to New England, but I really like the area. I LOVE the scenery, hills, 4 seasons, trees, close cities, and outdoor recreational activities. One area I was considering was New Hampshire. The problem I have with Maine is that it is too far from any major cities. I am not single and in my upper 20s and would like occasionally access to a decent sized city, but do not need to live right in the city.

I figured Southern New Hampshire is a good idea because you still get the small town feel, the coast, the mountains, the outdoor recreation but you also have Boston and NYC close by where in Maine I am 4 hours from Boston and 8 from NYC.

How are the housing prices in Southern New Hampshire? Are there decent houses say no more than 1 hour from Boston in the 250-300 range?? I noticed Maine is a lot of shabby old looking houses. Is there any newer type construction in New Hampshire? I am looking for more newer type properties. Also I am not used to having to pay for oil heat which is really expensive I would rather use natural gas is this available anywhere? or do most people heat using wood or oil?

I would appreciate any information anyone can provide as I am trying to limit my search to where I can still live in New England. If any also has any other suggestions on New ENgland areas which are close to Boston or NYC and have a decent cost of living (under 300,000 for a modern 2-3 bedroom house around 1500 square foot or so).Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Cost of living in southern New Hampshire is a lot higher than southern Maine away from the coast. Citi-data has costs for both places. Just search for the town you are in and a town you might like.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM

30 posts, read 90,621 times
I think you can find decent house in that price range in southern NH that close to 1 hour from Boston. What's your life style? Like big city or small town? But I think if you want natural gas, you'd have to be in well established city. Nashua, Salem might have what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire