U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 AM

18 posts, read 36,957 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where a good place to live in New Hampshire would be. I am a 30 year old, single female with no kids. I was also wondering if there are any ghettos up there, or bad areas? I live in Port Saint Lucie Fl and it has become really congested in the last 5 years I have about 130,000 where I live and that's before all the snow birds come down, so about half that would be nice. I miss the seasons but I am wondering if the winters up there are as bad as I have heard??And how long does winter last? I appreciate any comments... Thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 AM

17 posts, read 59,202 times
My husband and I are considering the move to NH also. We have been researching all over the US and traveled from LA (the state) to AZ to NE and to New England. We found this neat website called ****.com...you answer all the questions (climate, town size, religion, lifestyle, etc) and on the last page it asks for personal info but you don't have to put any legit info.... and it gives you 20 "Your Top Spots". My husband and i had a couple of cities that matched each other. Littleton, NH was on of them. We since then discovered from the city-data forums that it may be hard to find jobs in that area. So we are now looking at or around the coast.....towns like Dover, Somersworth etc. We are taking a trip there in a couple of months to check out all the areas. So if you are still on city-data i will keep you posted. As far as we can tell NH doesn't really have "ghettos". Not like we do in the south. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 AM

4,425 posts, read 10,766,360 times
Welcome fairie A good place to live in NH... hmmmm. While New Hampshire doesn't have "ghettos" as you may be referring, there are always going to be certain areas in a city of any size that you're best off not venturing into alone, especially after dark.

Besides the raw data of population, it's important to know what else is important to you? Entertainment, cultural events, fine dining? Night clubs, higher education? Jobs, shopping opportunities? Sporting events, open spaces, outdoor recreational areas?

A population center the size you are asking about (65K +/-) will only be found in one of our 'major cities'. Manchester has a population of approximately 110,000, Nashua approximately 90,000. After that, the population drops sharply to the next 'tier'. Our state capital is Concord, with approx. 35,000. Then there is the 'densely populated areas" of Salem (aprox. 30,000), Derry (approx. 35,000) and Portsmouth (approx. 29,000). While these numbers will seem ridiculously low to folks from other areas of the country, New Hampshire is actually becoming congested by New Hampshire standards, especially in the southern and/or eastern areas of the state.

To answer your other questions... I guess I would have to wonder what you have been told about our winters. They are probably "bad" as compared to a winter in Port Saint Lucie. We have temps well below freezing starting in December, and continuing through February and sometimes into March. Our 'growing season' is from Memorial Day Weekend to approximately Columbus Day Weekend. Killing frost us usually mid/late October (southern NH). The last few winters have been particularly snowy, with well over 100" of snow received even in the southern areas of the state. We had a well-publicized ice storm early last December, that left much of the state without power for more than a week (lots of generator sales!!) Not trying to scare you off, but just telling it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairie0025 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could tell me where a good place to live in New Hampshire would be. I am a 30 year old, single female with no kids. I was also wondering if there are any ghettos up there, or bad areas? I live in Port Saint Lucie Fl and it has become really congested in the last 5 years I have about 130,000 where I live and that's before all the snow birds come down, so about half that would be nice. I miss the seasons but I am wondering if the winters up there are as bad as I have heard??And how long does winter last? I appreciate any comments... Thank you....

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM

758 posts, read 2,321,465 times
Anywhere in any state can be good a place to live depending on what you're looking for. It really depends on you, what your hobbies are, and what your preferences are. Need WAY more info before we can recommend anything.....

None of the state is really congested when compared to major metro areas so don't worry about that. Parts of the state are "congested" relative to others though.

Winters, again, are relative. They weren't much worse for me coming from Ohio (in fact much better because of the many winter activities in NH). Someone from FL will have a different impression I'm sure. They are cold, there is a lot of snow, and it lasts a long long time. If that in your mind is bad, then you won't like it. If you ski, hike, snowshoe, ice fish, snowmobile, hunt, are homebody in general, etc. then you might love it.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 PM

ELLeS...... Thank you so much for the info. I'll be on here, so when you get back let me know how it went.. I live in Florida, so we have a lot of bad areas so that was a big consern of mine. But I will check out that website you told me about... Thanks again..

Last edited by fairie0025; 10-10-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM

***fishnfool..... I am not that adventurous but I would love to be able to go for walks in nature and ride my bike outside without having a heat stroke.. lol.. Florida is too hot.. I love kayaking. I like Zoos, museums, anything like that. Never skied or snowboarded in my life, I like water sports. So I guess a place that I could do all of things would be a nice place to live. Also a place that has a nice downtown area with shops and restaurants would be nice. If you thinks of anything let me know...Thanks for your help.. And it's good to hear it's not that congested up there.. It takes me 45 minutes to get to work and that's only 15 miles from my house... Well thanks again...

Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,155,201 times
Based on your interests I would give a serious look at the Portsmouth area. Sounds like you might enjoy it.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,561,635 times
Default Ghetto

I am new to the area. In 2008, we considered moving to Florida or other southern states. We highlighted several concerns that we wanted to avoid and crime was one of them. I pretty much checked every state and city. My research slowly migrated us north. As I have stated in my other posts, I wanted to live in the south really but it just did not work.

Over the past year, I have managed to travel the majority of state except resort filled north and I have not found a ghettos. Coincidently, yesterday, I went to one of the "bad cities." My conclusion, NH does not have a ghetto. In my opinion, even Boston's ghetto pales in comparison to those southern ghettos. Yes, Boston has crime but I think its alot cleaner and safer than any city I've visited in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire