U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,006 times
Default Exeter -vs- Portsmouth

Hi all,

I grew-up in Peterborough, but have lived away since 1989. We plan to move back to New Hampshire next year, and are looking at both Exeter & Portsmouth. Both are VERY walkable, which is important to us, and seem similar in size, etc. We're leaning towards Exeter at the moment because my memory of it is that it's a bit smaller, and quieter in a good way.

Any advice, feedback, or thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 PM

680 posts, read 1,433,073 times
Exeter is definitely smaller. The downtown is very cute and walkable but tiny compared to downtown Portsmouth (which isn't exactly NYC, but is bustling by NH standards.) Both are really nice. To me, Portsmouth seems to have a lot more going on - restaurants, film festival, ocean views, great historic architecture. I would visit both and see which you like!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,006 times
Default Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the insight ... what about the schools? Exeter seems to have a good reputation, but there's also been some controversy lately. Are Portsmouth schools similarly good?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 AM

680 posts, read 1,433,073 times
I think Exeter schools are rated higher, if for no other reason than that Exeter doesn't have the socio-economic diversity you find in a city, which tends to bring scores down. It also has the private boarding/day school Philips Exeter Academy, which attracts a lot of brainpower. I've always heard that the public school was considered solid but not stellar.

Greatschools.net Search: portsmouth

In terms of best public school systems on the Seacoast, New Castle and Hampton Falls are really highly rated through middle school but then go to less highly rated high schools. York, ME has a really highly rated school system all the way through and is just a few minutes from Portsmouth.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM

46 posts, read 65,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastasia View Post
Thanks for the insight ... what about the schools? Exeter seems to have a good reputation, but there's also been some controversy lately. Are Portsmouth schools similarly good?
I'm reading through this thread with interest and gratitude for any insights I can gather.

I'm not privy to enough information to be able to read between the lines with regard to Bastasia's point about recent controversy in the Exeter schools.

Can anyone elaborate?
I'm getting the idea that Exeter schools might be good, but the message is mixed.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire