U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 AM

32,939 posts, read 26,464,578 times
The NH hunting rules are based on the idea that niether the King or the landowner owns the game. When the fall hunt provided a substantial part of a family's winter food everybody cooperated in the hunting. This is the basis of the cooperative nature of rural New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM

428 posts, read 237,041 times
Old thread, I know... I found it while Googling something related.

I thought I would add a little to it, though. The default state of land in New Hampshire is NOT "current use". Current use has a specific meaning and results in a tax break, but it is separate from the common law "tradition" in New Hampshire of private lands being open for public use unless posted. Some "common use" land is open to the public, but not all of it is. The default state of all private land in New Hampshire, whether in "common use" or not, is that it is open for public use. Perhaps it is the case that where you live, you can hike 20 miles from your property thanks to current use, but it may also just be because the land near you isn't posted. There's a difference.

I say this to point out that there are a lot of private land owners who have not posted their land and who also do NOT get any kind of a tax break. They have just chosen not to restrict access to their land. A lot of people believe that if someone is getting a tax break due to current use, then they should be REQUIRED to allow public access to their land. (In reality there are some practical reasons for restricting use, and a lot of land in common use, such as land used for farming, results in a benefit to the economy so the land owner ultimately pays his "fair share" anyway.) It's important to remember, though, that there may be plenty of unposted land where the owner is, out of the goodness of his or her heart, not posting. So, everyone should show complete respect - leave no trace - when they use the land. Don't feel that somehow you're paying for that land through your own taxes so you "own" it in some way.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 PM

428 posts, read 237,041 times
Also just to add in response to an earlier post... I'm pretty sure that in Texas, you CAN shoot trespassers.

And, you don't need to post your land every few feet... it just needs to be posted at least every 300 feet (100 yards).

We've had major problems with ATVs chewing up the land, eroding slopes, generally being LOUD and OBNOXIOUS in close proximity to our house, etc.. Hikers are not the problem and I don't think hunters are, either, although many may oppose hunting in general. ATV-ers are the biggest problem I have experienced. They like to ride during the spring before foliage and vegetation grows, and the ground is still muddy and soft, and they just tear it right up.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM

369 posts, read 487,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublecheck1 View Post
Let's say you own a tract of land in NH and post it "NO TRESSPASSING", according to state law requirements. If someone ignores your legally recognizable postings to hunt, shoot, cut trails, whatever, can you shoot them?
First I respect posted property, and I'm guessing you're either trolling or just not from NH. But I'll tell ya this: There's a fair number of armed folks out in the woods (even hikers) and I will shoot back at anyone who shoots at me.

I don't enter where its posted but if you don't post the entire perimiter of you acerage your sinage is null and void.

Its in the RSA'a and F&G. Look it up.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM

14,984 posts, read 19,715,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Also just to add in response to an earlier post... I'm pretty sure that in Texas, you CAN shoot trespassers.

And, you don't need to post your land every few feet... it just needs to be posted at least every 300 feet (100 yards).

We've had major problems with ATVs chewing up the land, eroding slopes, generally being LOUD and OBNOXIOUS in close proximity to our house, etc.. Hikers are not the problem and I don't think hunters are, either, although many may oppose hunting in general. ATV-ers are the biggest problem I have experienced. They like to ride during the spring before foliage and vegetation grows, and the ground is still muddy and soft, and they just tear it right up.
Do the ATV-ers stay on marked trails or do they just enjoying destroying the land off the trail?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 AM

64 posts, read 59,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post

Being someone who was raised in Texas for 30 years, I have to point out that in Texas you ca NOT just shoot trespassers. Texas has what is called a "castle" law. You can shoot someone who is in your house at night. You don't go just shooting everyone because you feel like it. Well, some do but they end up in jail for it.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 AM

426 posts, read 364,158 times
Just for the record, current use enrollment does not ensure public access. Only if people take the recreational adjustment. A property can still be enrolled in current use and prohibit public access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire