Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 AM

132 posts, read 356,342 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Halloween.

I was also wondering what people do to celebrate. Since the homes aren't very close together in many communities, do the local towns have fall festivities. Maybe the schools or some localized parties at homes?

I know in our area that door to door trick or treating is not as popular as when we were kids-mostly due to safety concerns. More and more people are hosting parties at there home or going to organized parties held be the city or local churches.

Whatever your plans to celebrate fall, I hope you have a happy and safe time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:11 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
there is an annual pumpkin festival in Keene and a couple of other towns. 25,000 carved and lit pumpkins make for a spectacular display.

a lot of towns held trick or treat LAST weekend...go figure. Our town has traditional celebrations. I will greet the kiddies this year dressed as Elvis, only Elvis has been dead for 30 years. So the face is horrific, but I still have the hair and the cape.

My son is dressing as a terrorist - no costume, just holding a 4 oz. bottle of shampoo.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM

263 posts, read 859,278 times
buck, that's a riot!!!
Where I am, the houses are spread pretty far apart....so trick-or-treating door to door is nearly impossible unless you drive the kids from house to house and that just isn't the same!! So, a bunch of us meet up in one of the neighborhoods in town where the houses are closer together and the homeowners are great - they go all out. One of the houses is decorated like X-Mas!! It's awesome. I dressed as a witch today for my daycare kids. They all came dressed up. 2 pirates, a "poodle princess" and Darth Vader. LOL But trick-or-treat hours ARE tomorrow evening 5-8 pm here in town and I will bring my own son.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
I also live in a part of town that isn't too densely populated, but all the kids go into the center of town to trick-or-treat.

Halloween's my favorite holiday

Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
<scoffs> it's all a matter of what you're used to. growing up, sure the houses weren't all clustered together (course not in Nh!) and Mum drove me basically down the bus route to go trick or treating. My last few years I went out with some friends - as many as could pile into their station wagon, and then we went out together, but still in the car. So what? don't be a halloween snob. It's not just running around a cul-de-sac.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:07 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,572 times
I think I'll just stay home with the missus , heh heh!

YouTube - Alice Cooper: "Cold Ethyl" ORIGINAL VERSION. #5

Old 10-31-2009, 03:38 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,163 times
Manchester had their Trick or Treat day last Sunday but here in Nashua we are doing it on the real Day!
This morning we took our daughter to the Pheasent Lane Mall where she joined hundreds of other kids in costume as they went to the shops getting candy and even coupons. We ate in the food court then went to Toys R Us for more candy, a gift bag and kids activities (dancing and coloring pictures) while waiting for the hourly "Kid's Parade" around the store. We stopped in a Halloween store to see what's left then we took her to perform in a piano recital in a senior's home. (more candy cookies and juice)
Home now where she is playing with her goodies and getting ready to go out in the neighborhood for the 6 - 8 P.M. neighborhood Trick or Treating. I will carry a bag to hold her plastic pumpkin's overflow for her.
The weather was unbelievably good since 11 AM and it is about 65-70 degrees now but very windy.
At least no rain!
For the Mall indoor Trick or treating we saw many kids from newborns in strollers on up in costume. and the toddlers were so cute struggling to walk in their costumes! At the Seniors home, families came in costume to cheer up their relatives.
Halloween comes but once a year - enjoy it!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:07 PM

well, we did have a nice night! The weather was good. We took 2 trucks - drove to one of the larger neighborhoods here in town, then we ALL piled into one vehicle...the adults in seats, all of the kids in the back with the back open. We drove through the neighborhood and the kids would all hop out, go to a few houses, hop back in and we'd drive down a bit further. It was nice. Plus the fire dept. "mascot" was there, with 2 of the volunteer firemen and their dalmation. The chief of police was driving around the neighborhood in his truck handing out candy to all of the kids. It was VERY crowded, but the kids loved it and we all had fun. : ) It didn't start to rain until just about an hour later - and by that point the kids were happy with their "loot" and we left. It was a great night had by all - adults and children alike.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,163 times
Well! This morning our daughter is still sorting through all her loot from last nights Trick or treating! At 6 P.M. when it was time to head out we had a few raindrops but only a few. It was quite breezy at times and I see by today's paper that last night in Salem, N.H.,about 6:30 a 10 year old boy was struck and killed by a tree felled by the wind!
The temperature was remarkable in 65 - 70 degrees but perfect for the kids who didn't have to wear coats over their costumes as they sometimes had to in the past.
Three times I had to offload some candy from her pumpkin bucket as it got heavy. I had a shoulder bag with a jacket rolled up in case of rain and we put the extra candy in with the jacket.
Last Thursday the Telegraph Newspaper sponsored a free Kid's Halloween festival in a big hotel ballroom and on Friday night the City parks Dept. employees put on a Halloween celebration in Greeley park with bounce houses, haunted hay ride, crop maze etc.
It is nice living in Nasua as there is always something to do. You just have to keep an eye on the papers for events!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Say a prayer for the family of that poor little boy in Pelham who was killed last night while trick-or-treating. : ( A friend of mine was there and saw the whole thing right before her eyes. She said it was absolutely horrible and she is still very shaken by it. She has children that are around the same age and she was trick-or-treating only feet from this accident. : ( It could've been her children...
Give your children an extra hug and kiss and be so thankful for them every day. My heart goes out to that family. I guess he would've turned 11 in the next couple of weeks. So tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire