Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 PM

26 posts, read 135,920 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, does New Hampshire really retain any of it's motto "Live free or die" in everyday practice? "Live free or die" seems to lend itself to a rather libertarian existence and I'm curious to find out whether or not good ol' New Hampshire actually follows this. Small government, low taxes, very hand off approach to personal freedoms/rights. I mean during the Revolutionary War NH was the definition of gung-ho in terms or liberation and personal freedom. I'm really asking because I recently read an article about The Free State Project and it seemed kind of interesting, even if it isn't exactly practical, accurate or possible. Figured this would be the best place to ask...have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Of the 50 states...yes, very much so. I'd put it in the top 2-3 in regards to personal responsibility and freedoms. However- as with all 50 states, has some of that been lost? Yes.

Identifying it as affiliated with one political party is tricky though. This is not a black/white- vote for "our guy" all-the-time-everytime state. People hated Bush so they voted for Obama...now people don't like who they voted for so we'll see what happens in 2010.

There is a fear of "people from MA are invading", but some research into this has yielded these are generally those leaving MA with conservative leanings (not conservative as in neo-con); so its not really what has impacted the state as much as is commonly thought.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The NH electorate will let you freeze in the dark if you run out of money to pay for fuel or electricity. That same electorate will climb all over your A** if you plan on building a very small house or moving a trailer on your own property that might "hurt" property values or possibly cost the town more to educate your kids. Then they will tell you exactly what you can or cannot do.

They will let you ride a motorcycle without a helmet but prevent you from living on your own land as cheaply as you want. We wind up with a "Live like ME or die" polity.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:01 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The NH electorate will let you freeze in the dark if you run out of money to pay for fuel or electricity. That same electorate will climb all over your A** if you plan on building a very small house or moving a trailer on your own property that might "hurt" property values or possibly cost the town more to educate your kids. Then they will tell you exactly what you can or cannot do.

They will let you ride a motorcycle without a helmet but prevent you from living on your own land as cheaply as you want. We wind up with a "Live like ME or die" polity.
Very well put and accurate .
NH has a toxic mix of Yankee and Yuppy that combines the worse of both, which is saying a lot.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:38 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,803 times
No Helmet Law seems to be the purest for of 'Live free of Die'

I agree with the other posters, comparatively speaking NH has more freedom than other states, but regulation regarding "private" property rights are disturbing.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
No income tax
No sales tax
2nd lowest tax burden of any state
no seatbelt law
no helmet law
Pro-2nd amendment
3rd largest representative government in western culture (state reps. btw make almost no money...i.e. no career politicians)

I'd say it does a better job than most. People here support personal responsibility and personal freedom instead of government intervention and the nanny state.

As far as the property issue, I currently rent and have no personal experience with matters like that. I would imagine that is more of a town by town issue rather than the state issue however.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The property tax and land use zoning are entirely local issues. The catch is the town councils and zoning boards are elected offices without pay. The realty and banking industries are way over represented and control the agenda.

In Londonderry they are discussing the State mandated (from our 435 member conservative representatives) requirement that town provide zoning that allows builders to provide lower (around $150K) apartments or condominiums so the people that actually work in or for the Town can afford to live there. I support this idea but the public hearings have been a talking zoo of recriminations, slander and economic bigotry along the lines of “You know THOSE people” and “you don’t want them in YOUR neighborhood.” These people will destroy property values and they won’t be like US. Apparently these people think that anyone not able to afford a $250 to $600 k house is some form of contaminating economic failure.

This is Suburban Human Nature at its finest. Fortunately, I live in one of the preexisting lower income condominiums and don’t have any trouble with the neighbors. I would prefer a state that forced folks to wear motorcycle helmets but let me live in a used cargo container while I was building my own house the way I wanted. So I repeat, New Hampshire is, at least the southern section is, “Live like me or die” because we don’t want less then clones of us living here.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:23 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
Quote:
The property tax and land use zoning are entirely local issues. The catch is the town councils and zoning boards are elected offices without pay. The realty and banking industries are way over represented and control the agenda.

In Londonderry they are discussing the State mandated (from our 435 member conservative representatives) requirement that town provide zoning that allows builders to provide lower (around $150K) apartments or condominiums so the people that actually work in or for the Town can afford to live there. I support this idea but the public hearings have been a talking zoo of recriminations, slander and economic bigotry along the lines of “You know THOSE people” and “you don’t want them in YOUR neighborhood.” These people will destroy property values and they won’t be like US. Apparently these people think that anyone not able to afford a $250 to $600 k house is some form of contaminating economic failure.

This is Suburban Human Nature at its finest. Fortunately, I live in one of the preexisting lower income condominiums and don’t have any trouble with the neighbors. I would prefer a state that forced folks to wear motorcycle helmets but let me live in a used cargo container while I was building my own house the way I wanted. So I repeat, New Hampshire is, at least the southern section is, “Live like me or die” because we don’t want less then clones of us living here.

I have to agree that this type of mentality is common and can be seen in various communities, not just Londonderry.

IMO there is a need for low-income housing and affordable housing for middle class residents. Time and again, they are voted out and never get to the planner's table.

I worked with a fella' from Weare who inherited his mother's 200 year old colonial home. He was the first to object to an old folks 'assisted living' home in his neighborhood AND a multi-unit apartment building. Yet, if it were not for his inheritance, he would have been one of the needy people with no affordable place to live.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:14 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I worked with a fella' from Weare who inherited his mother's 200 year old colonial home. He was the first to object to an old folks 'assisted living' home in his neighborhood AND a multi-unit apartment building. Yet, if it were not for his inheritance, he would have been one of the needy people with no affordable place to live.
Sounds like a typical lib. The rules I support are for everyone "else".

The rub with "affordable housing" is that on the "extreme" end we've seen what government/cheap/subsidized housing has produced. Nothing good.

However, if it's a zoning change that says for instance, you can build sub 2000sf, on .5 acre lots to keep costs down - yea, go for it!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
I'm sorry Greg, but that's hogwash and you know it. It has nothing to do with what you term "THOSE people" and everything to do with the high number of rental units that the developer(s) will shove down the throats of the taxpayers. The townspeople do NOT have a problem with townhouse condos (like yours) or with modest homes (small ranches, capes, etc.) or with elderly housing units. What they have a problem with is the big block housing. The 16-24 units per building that has been proposed. We already have a couple of those in town. Derry has even more...

I've heard the same question repeated at each meeting I've attended, with no definite answer thus far:
How much "affordable housing" does Londonderry require?
How much "affordable housing" does Londonderry presently have?
Does Londonderry really need more multi-unit rental/apartment units?

Workforce Housing as it has been presented will serve to do nothing except attract people who don't make enough to live in Massachusetts (sound familiar) yet want to retain those liberal "values", and in the process, turn NH into the a clone of our neighbor to the south...

So what is "workforce housing"? According to the last meeting I attended, it can be a home (single family or condo) with 2 or more bedrooms, that is valued at less than $289,000. There is PLENTY of "workforce housing" currently for sale. My entire neighborhood could be considered "workforce housing". We are neither Windham, nor Bedford. Take a look at the MLS sometime...
I'm through. Sorry for the rant... couldn't help myself...

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire