Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:51 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Could you use the old woodstove flu to vent a small propane heater. I saw a propane heater for sale on Craigs List yesterday in Belmont. Isnt that near you.
Yup I'm in Belmont. The woodstove is incredibly small. I can only fit twigs in there, it has 1880 printed on the front. We decided on a small electric fireplace.

We can always take it back if we have to, but last night in 30 minutes, it heat up the entire addition rather comfortably!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
One idea is to look for electric heaters with very low current draw or an adjustable current draw. For example the Delonghi TRD0715T can operate at either 600, 900, or 1500 watts. While 1500 is about 12.5 amps and is basically the draw of operating a powerful vacuum cleaner all night; 900 is only 7.5 and much more reasonable. Do you have any way to check what kind of wiring is run in that circuit? Make sure the breaker will trip properly if the load the wire can handle is exceeded (ie- that they didn't just install a 15 or 20 amp breaker to feed some very tiny ancient wiring)

Likewise you could also get a GOOD extension cord (read: indoor/outdoor heavy-duty) and run it to an outlet for another circuit elsewhere in the house in order to run a second heater.

Most importantly- watch the amperage/wattage used by the heater and if you do run extension cords make sure they are designed to handle the load.

I honestly wouldn't push it with fuel-based heaters inside, get something with some safety features and no fear of carbon-monoxide.
Thanks for this information! I have no idea how to check ampage-I'll ask the man in the house about that one.

We purchased a small electric fireplace and nothing tripped. However, the space heater would heat up the plug in seconds and not put off as much heat into the air.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
like:
Fahrenheat at Lowe's: 120-Volt Portable Hydronic baseboard Heater
but you'd likely need to run it 24x7 to keep that exposed room warm. If you can get an electrician in, a 240v permanent baseboard hydronic heater will do pretty well.
I have been shopping since October for products that would fit my needs and not blow out my circuit box every time.

We picked up an electrolog compact fireplace and it heat up the room in 20 mins or so. We left it on for 4 hours, very quiet, little licking flames, and there was no hot plug and no power outages.

So far I'm pleased, but I'll give it until January to see if it handles well on windy nights. The wind wips up here in gusts to 90 mph. We're at the top of a hill that has been cleared for the mountain view, and the side of the house that room faces, b/c of the wind and whether, has no more house paint. That's how bad it gets beat down.

This room was so drafty until we put heavy drapes up and plastic. If the fireplace does not work during those wind storms, I'll keep your suggestion in mind, and check our ampage in this room.

I do know when half of this room's power goes out, I have to go outside to the patio and click the reset button on the CGI outlet. CFI? CGI? the one like my bathroom when I use the blow dryer. LOL

<--an electrician I do not make. LOL

Old 12-19-2009, 07:05 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,029,292 times
Quote:
This room was so drafty until we put heavy drapes up and plastic.
that's why those castles and oldhouses had tapestries on the wall and heavy drapes: to keep out drafts! also why canopy beds had curtains and bedskirts (the bedskirts keep the drafts out from under the bed). Stay warm!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire