Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 06:06 PM

132 posts, read 355,100 times

Advertisements

Hi Gang,

Well I have been looking for a house to rent(3 bdrm/2bath) in the seacoast area and I have had no luck so far. Do you know if rentals are more readily available later in the year, say around June?

We would love to get into a place where we can stay maybe a few years to build up some money to put down on a house later on.

Maybe I am looking too early in the year?

Also should we ask for assistance from a realty company or just hit the newspapers and craig's list? What is the difference?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,865,482 times
What do you mean by seacoast? On the beach, with in sight of ocean, or upto 40 miles inland?

Summer rentals will be out of the question..

NH has 17 miles of coastline, so if you mean the beach your too late right now, as that was all booked by last July probably.

With in sight is pretty pricey too, but might be possible if you command that kinda' dough.

A realty company in or near what ever towns you are interested would probably be a good move to make for a starter on research.

Quaint old New Hampster isn't as quaint, and for sure isn't cheap anymore. Quickely we are becoming the next neon blaze in the night.... No more little cottages with a fire place and a hot plate either. Now it is motel hell, fast food, and chain store gas, with box malls, near the seacoast.

Old Rt 1 is traffic jam city in summer and you can forget Rt 1a, for that matter look out for the tolls on I-95 in summer weekends.. They get 2 bucks to pass, and to rent the highway for the few hours while you wait. While I mind the fee, it seems to even out when you take the realestate into account since it comes pre paved...

That's a joke, since it is possible to be stuck at the tolls 20 miles back in stop and go traffic on weekends.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Just looking for a town within a 30 minute commute to Portsmouth(d/t DH's on call responsibility) with a good school system for the kids. Looking at Exeter, Newfields, Stratham, Madbury and a few others.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,892,166 times
Hi Cindy
Are you out here yet, or just DH for now? How is he doing with dealing with winter??? (though it's been pretty mild until these last couple of days...) You might see some rentals open up once the UNH students (and possibly faculty/employees) head home for the summer. I know when I had a house listed in Lee for sale a few years back, I had several calls from faculty asking for the possibility of renting during the school year. Rental housing in that area (Lee/Madbury/Durham, also Dover, Barrington, etc) does not last long once listed.

On the coast (Rye, North Hampton) there's a chance that you could get a winter rental which would bring you through to June. Has he looked into Dover at all? or Greenland?

You could find something that is listed through a realty company. Private owners who chose not to pay an agent (generally a month's rent) will be more likely to be in the newspaper. Check fosters.com and seacoastonline.com. Unionleader.com might have listings, but though they are a statewide paper, they are more specific to the Manchester area.

BE CAREFUL with craigslist. Lots of scams going on, lots of hopeful renters lost money... Anyway, keep us informed on how the search goes!!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM

HI Val,

DH is in Portsmouth renting an apartment. So far so good but today has been the first day he has complained about the cold.

Hoping to be there in April.

Thanks for the info. Also replied to your PM.

Cindy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire