Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM

20 posts, read 65,829 times

Advertisements

My job is relocating me to work in Northern MA (Andover) but I am likely going to be living in Southern NH due to the more affordable homes and good schools. I've had a chance to visit the area for a few days and thus far I have narrowed it down to the following areas (Note that I am trying to keep my commute to Andover to within 25 miles or so).

Hampstead
Derry
Londonderry
Pelham
Windham

My upper limit for purchasing is in the $350K range so my question is are there any other areas one would add to my list or even remove based on good schools and affordable living? I'm only concernced about middle and high school and the Pinkernton school seems very appealing to us (though I'm a little leary with the higher taxes in Derry vs Hampstead serviced by the same Pinkernton high school).

With respect to homes I think regardless there will be an adjustment (not necessarily a bad thing) as we are coming from the midwest and used to modern colonial type homes with gas heating/central air, small lots, densely populated subs, close to shopping. Most of what I have seen in these areas is probably the opposite, 80's builds with oil, no central air (wall units maybe), big lots, more rural setting. Again the changes is not necessarily a bad thing (homes definitely have more character - gas/central would be a nice to have but you accept certain realities about each area one moves to)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
You have a lot of choices. I would suggest Londonderry for the excellent schools. Most of the houses are on 1/2 to 1 acre although there are denser areas. I suggest avoiding the High Range Road area unless you like the sound of jet engines.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM

Seems to be good bang for the buck in Londonderry which is why it is on my short list, will keep in mind your High Range road comment when I'm searching for homes. Just want to make sure I haven't excluded any other city/town.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:35 AM

557 posts, read 1,348,773 times
I enjoy living in Hudson, NH at the time and maybe worth considering. The rural part which I live, on the Windham/Londonderry line , is quiet and reasonably affordable (more bang for the buck than Windham or Derry, that is for sure)

It is also close to route 3 and 93 (7-12 minutes each highway), unlike the other towns which favor 93. It is around 25-30 minutes to Methuen, and around 35 to Andover. Hudson is a fairly conservative town with a decent school system, average taxes for SNH (similar or mostly lower than any towns mentioned), close to shopping and also close to Massachusetts.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:36 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,103,221 times
check out Chester, Sandown, Newton and Atkinson as well.

Atkinson is more affluent than other towns mentioned above, but still quite doable to commute to Andover.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Sandown and Chester are too rural and remote for me. Atkinson or Plaistow might be doable (not sure on the schools though). Newton is a little further than I would like to commute. Hudson seems fine but only if it is closer to the eastern border (again don't know much on the schools, definitely more bang for the buck there but I don't want to be near Nashua).

Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,826,097 times
Of the ones listed, Windham is the best choice. Check out Atkinson as well. Check www.nneren.com for houses.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,894,319 times
It's great, rnarco, that you've been able to get out to southern NH to check out the area. It sounds like you've really been doing your homework and have found the towns that offer a good mix of (relatively) reasonably price housing with good schools and conveniences nearby. Taking all that into consideration, along with a daily commute that you'll be able to handle is so important. When we relocated back to this area after some years spent in the midwest (St. Louis area) we were reminded at how much higher the cost of living in this area can be (in comparison).

Most of the towns that you are considering have school systems that are recognized as being highly desired. Each has their various strengths and weaknesses. Londonderry established their high school in 1978 (previously was Pinkerton) and so have grown many of their extra-curricular programs, sports and more particularly, an extremely active and well-traveled Marching Band). Windham, on the other hand, has build a fabulous brand new high school, but at present, only is teaching the 9th grade. Grades 10, 11 & 12 are continuing at Salem HS, and as each class graduates out, the incoming 9th grade will populate the new school. Thus, there are more limited offerings for classes and extra-curricular activities.

Hudson was mentioned in a couple of posts, and just want to add in that it's across the river from (but very convenient to) Nashua. There would be no need to go over "the bridge", but access Route 3 from Lowell Road, you can be on the DW Highway (major shopping areas) in under 10 minutes. This is well away from the downtown area of Nashua, which people either love it or hate it... (some very good restaurants, limited walkable area).

The nice thing about Hampstead, Plaistow or Atkinson is easy access to Andover away from the traffic/road construction going on for the next several years on 93 (south of Manchester). There is a major road widening going on, much bridge work, and while New Hampshire typically does lane closures and road work in the overnight hours, sometimes there is day blasting that may close lanes for a period of time. Be sure to check Plaistow's taxes though--quite a bit higher than many surrounding communities.

You've found a great place to ask questions, and everyone here is familiar with the area and happy to help with passing on any info that you may be needing. Take care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire