Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 AM

21 posts, read 73,743 times

Advertisements

Well...we spent most of the day looking at homes in Raymond, Epping, and East Kingston... we like 2 homes in Raymond. The areas seem similar, doesn't seem like much of a travel to malls and such. I just wish I could get closer to civilization...but for what we are looking for it's out of our price range...not too sure how I feel about the school systems in Raymond though, we did drive by them, rather small...sometimes a child's progress has to do with parent involvement too. I am going to put some more thought into this...my hubby on the other hand has already fell in love with a house, and is ready to make an offer for Raymond...we'll see! We are going on Tues. to have a second look, this time I am wearing my boots!! hehe...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,103,221 times
I grew up in Candia and attended Raymond high school as a senior. I transferred from Manchester schools and never looked back. I truly enjoyed the experience of a small school with the attention and opportunity that comes with it.

back in the '80's, there were eight (8) superfund toxic waste dumps in NH. These sites were located in Greenland, Barrington, Conway, Epping, Raymond, Peterborough, and Londonderry (2). A little research would be in order before purchasing any properties or lands in these towns. The government has declared them as safe....(as far as they know).

The site in Raymond was the Blueberry Hill road area (pig farm) and the old tannery.

the town was still having water problems as recently as this past September.
Contamination Forces Raymond To Avoid Water - New Hampshire News Story - WMUR Manchester (http://www.wmur.com/news/20824301/detail.html - broken link)

I'm not slamming Raymond in particular. AS you can see, the surrounding towns have also had superfund waste dump sites. When one is purchasing properties, the history of the location must also be researched.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 PM

I'm glad you had a nice experience with Raymond High...That was my take on it too.
The broker was honest with me, and did inform me of the waste sites , and info on radon...the home isn't in Blueberry hill, but I did see the new homes there. I'm not sure if it's the old tannery, but I will ask... The home did has 2 filter tanks for the well water, so I'm thinking that they did have an issue at one point...we do intend on having any home inspected and the water tested also to be safe...I might try talking to a neighbor or 2 also.

Hmmm...so, if the site was contaminated...is it ok to live there if I have the filter system and such...or should I find something else?

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful! I am going to check that site...and do a search for the address that the home is in.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM

219 posts, read 364,351 times
The raymond school districts do not have a good reputation. This may be one reaosn why the prices are lower.

We currently live in exeter and are building a house in nottingham. The primary reasons are the low cost of new construction, low taxes, excellent neighborhood and opportunity for the children to attend coe brown.

For the above mentioned reasons I would recommend looking in nottingham, along with northwood.

As a reference chester attends pinkerton which is very highly regarded and has moderate taxes.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Hi, we currently own property we intend on keeping...we can really only afford to spend no more than 285.000 tops...and that's stretching it. It's the best move considering my husband's commute. He really likes a home in Raymond, it's fairly new and in our price range...my concerns are as mentioned, school systems, and pollution in the area...I an trying to find reasons to like the area...I am getting mixed feed back on the schools...some people have had positive experience, and I have heard that the schools are improving... maybe it's personal oppinion too.

We are going to check out Chester, and Nottingham also. Thanks for sharing this info with me!
I think Northwood is too far from route 1...

Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Pinkerton Academy in Derry is phasing out attendance by surrounding towns. They started in 2000. Auburn has a lottery to decide which students can attend. Windham no longer goes there because they have a brand new HS. Hampstead, Aubrn and Chester will be dropped entirely within a decade or so. The goal is ONLY Derry students to attend.

Chester is nice and rural, but is not close to anything.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 PM

557 posts, read 1,348,773 times
I personally would pass on Raymond. It is not one of the nicer towns in that area. Chester, Derry, Londonderry, Hampstead, Auburn, Brentwood, Atkinson all are more desirable (and more pricey)

The median income for a household in the town was $48,829, and the median income for a family was $50,889. Males had a median income of $35,493 versus $26,778 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,430. About 5.3% of families and 6.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.8% of those under age 18 and 15.8% of those age 65 or over.

Median income for a household is $48.8k, $10k under the county average and easily one of the lowest.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM

We have looked around, and have have searched on line...I can't find any 3 bedroom homes that are in decent shape for under 300...we are looking at a few more homes tomorrow, a couple in Nottingham, one in Chester...how far is Derry from route 1, or some of the other areas you mentioned...we haven't looked at Auburn, Londonderry, or Atkinson...I will have to take a look, my husband would like a short commute to rt. 1 North Hampton. Any advice would be great!

Finding a good school is so hard, very confusing...I don't think the Raymond schools would be too bad, I would just keep an eye on things, and keep involved. My main concern is safety...and also that I don't want my kids in a polluted area...we will be testing everything though...it's just that the house my husband like is in Raymond, nice sub division, houses spread apart nicely...I am thinking about talking to a neighbor or 2 if I can...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM

It's always good to talk to neighbors and get the local's input. They may know stuff that nobody else does.

I think you will be fine in Raymond. There are some real pretty spots.

There is no easy way to get to route 1 from Derry/Chester/Auburn - there are back roads through Fremont, or take 102 to 101E. Nottingham will hook you to Route 4.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Yes, it is looking like we might settle down in Raymond if the inspection and tests go well...I think we are looking at a home in Fremont also...we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire