Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 AM

557 posts, read 1,348,506 times

Advertisements

Interesting thoughts and questions. I'll try to answer what I can the best I know, some facts and some opinion!

First off, do not know of any sites dedicated to flight patterns of MHT. Although I did live directly underneath the flight path in Hudson, NH. The planes seemed to be at a few thousand feet so it wasn't a big deal. It's not a super busy airport such as Logan or LGA, etc, but I would imagine that areas in Litchfield, N Londonderry and Manchester would deal with some aircraft noise.

Traffic on 101a to route 3 = Difficult, from what I have heard. One commuter from outside of Keene travelling into Burlington MA said the ride was long, however the strip-mall traffic at Nashua heading onto route 3 was simply awful in the AM and PM and made it from tolerable to "too much". That is not my opinion as I never dealt with it firsthand, but something to consider.

Choke points on route 3 - 93 - 128

Firstly (if there is such a word!) Route 3 has a few. First one Westford/Tyngsboro. Sun glare. Secondly is Lowell connector - 495. This usually starts a bit later in commute, towards 7-7:30am. Then it's Treble Cove Rd (or Trouble Cove as I called it) down to 128. This is usually the first problem area, then evolves back towards I495 and route 110.

Route 93 has glare issues (season/weather dependant of course) From Londonderry towards Windham into Salem for several miles. Not a commute-breaker, but enough to cause slowdowns. I93 is not a bad ride otherwise given average conditions etc, until you reach I495 towards Lawrence -Andover which usually hangs up. Then it can be a nightmare, or just slow on other days, further south towards Reading and Wilmington/Woburn as you head towards I95/128.

Overall, given work in Peabody, I personally would stay on the I93 side of life to avoid any over the top commute issues. Although Bedford, MHT, Auburn Londonderry would all be doable as well. Hollis, Nashua basically ensures a route 3 to 128 commute which is a more difficult one, IMO. I93 would be the reasonable option leaving a commute time of an hour or so, rather than Route 3 Hollis - Nashua which would be 1-2 hours.

To give others an idea of a typical route 3 commute in the AM rush; I was living in Hudson NH near Londonderry and commuting to Chelmsford MA, very close to I495/Route 3, around 7:00 am. The commute would take anywhere from 40 minutes to 1:10. 19 miles. Some days were OK, some were an absolute nightmare.

Bedtime for me, I Hope some of this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM

371 posts, read 1,156,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontradeltarebels View Post
I would really like to stay on 'this side' of 93 to be ~ an hour from the keene area.
Why do you want to be on that side of 93?

If you are going to commute to Peabody, I would definitely consider the seacoast towns of NH.

The commute down 95 to Peabody has NO traffic. The traffic begins in Peabody towards Boston. Seacoast NH also avoids much of the strip mall dense population (relative) of the Nashua/Manchester belt.

Let me know if you have specific questions about this area

Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,370,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriInNH View Post
Interesting thoughts and questions. I'll try to answer what I can the best I know, some facts and some opinion!

First off, do not know of any sites dedicated to flight patterns of MHT. Although I did live directly underneath the flight path in Hudson, NH. The planes seemed to be at a few thousand feet so it wasn't a big deal. It's not a super busy airport such as Logan or LGA, etc, but I would imagine that areas in Litchfield, N Londonderry and Manchester would deal with some aircraft noise.

Traffic on 101a to route 3 = Difficult, from what I have heard. One commuter from outside of Keene travelling into Burlington MA said the ride was long, however the strip-mall traffic at Nashua heading onto route 3 was simply awful in the AM and PM and made it from tolerable to "too much". That is not my opinion as I never dealt with it firsthand, but something to consider.

Choke points on route 3 - 93 - 128

Firstly (if there is such a word!) Route 3 has a few. First one Westford/Tyngsboro. Sun glare. Secondly is Lowell connector - 495. This usually starts a bit later in commute, towards 7-7:30am. Then it's Treble Cove Rd (or Trouble Cove as I called it) down to 128. This is usually the first problem area, then evolves back towards I495 and route 110.

Route 93 has glare issues (season/weather dependant of course) From Londonderry towards Windham into Salem for several miles. Not a commute-breaker, but enough to cause slowdowns. I93 is not a bad ride otherwise given average conditions etc, until you reach I495 towards Lawrence -Andover which usually hangs up. Then it can be a nightmare, or just slow on other days, further south towards Reading and Wilmington/Woburn as you head towards I95/128.

Overall, given work in Peabody, I personally would stay on the I93 side of life to avoid any over the top commute issues. Although Bedford, MHT, Auburn Londonderry would all be doable as well. Hollis, Nashua basically ensures a route 3 to 128 commute which is a more difficult one, IMO. I93 would be the reasonable option leaving a commute time of an hour or so, rather than Route 3 Hollis - Nashua which would be 1-2 hours.

To give others an idea of a typical route 3 commute in the AM rush; I was living in Hudson NH near Londonderry and commuting to Chelmsford MA, very close to I495/Route 3, around 7:00 am. The commute would take anywhere from 40 minutes to 1:10. 19 miles. Some days were OK, some were an absolute nightmare.

Bedtime for me, I Hope some of this helps!

This does not sound like fun to me. Don't think I'll be considering working in the Boston area...

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,890,997 times
Default response to KontraDeltaRebel's post

I have to agree with DogNH on KonDelReb's post. If you need to get to Peabody (even if only once a week) you might consider one of the towns along the 101 corridor, to easily access Rte 95. However, if you're definitely wanting to stay west of 93/Merrimack River, but still have access to Rte 3 vs. 93 or 95, possibly Brookline? Shares school with Hollis, but while Hollis has the cute town center, the orchards, etc. Brookline feels more rural, wooded...

Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,890,997 times
Default response to herra_huu's post

Hi herra, what took you so long to post! Glad you made it to the NH board I think it's almost too easy to suggest Manchester or Nashua as the places that you should look. As a real estate agent, I can't make suggestions based on race (that's steering, and illegal) but I can supply stats or at least tell you where to find them... Maybe I need an alter-ego here on city data LOL!

Anyway, there are some terrific neighborhoods in both Manchester and Nashua. There are also some areas that are primarily multi-family/absentee landlord housing where you'd want to be aware of your surroundings, but for the most part, both cities are perfectly safe, especially during daytime/early evening hours. Both have active YMCA, lots of things to do... always something going on at the Verizon Wireless center, etc. but so many other options for you to consider. The word on Manchester's schools is that they're in trouble, financially. There is talk of revamping the entire school district, moving high school students to the middle schools, moving 6th graders from middle schools to elementary schools... Here is a union leader article for you to read:
Kathy Sullivan: Gatsas' school plan is entirely unworkable - Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2009

You mentioned Londonderry and Derry as possibilities, and either of them could work well for you. Derry offers just a bit more diversity than many towns--check the stats at city-data's New Hampshire page: http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Hampshire.html Surprisingly enough, Derry is one of the more diverse towns of Southern NH! Though, as has been said earlier, it's character that matters, not color, at least for most people. I think adults make more out of it than kids do, at least that's been my experience... Your access to Burlington would be route 93. My husband travels to Woburn every day, and most days, it's just under an hour, door to door. Every once in a while, there will be long delays, but for the most part, it's a very doable commute. Given the choice, he'd stay in his present location rather than be moved back to the Hudson NH location he was in previously!

Have fun looking online--have you checked out Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS That's our NH MLS system, lots of info, pictures, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herra_huu View Post
Hi everyone!
I have been reading this forum for half a year now...ever since we found out that my husband needs to relocate. We live in Brooklyn NY.His job will be in Burlington MA, and we do not want to live there. For me that is like highway hell, and would not be happy living there.
After talking to his colleagues, somebody recommended us to start looking from NH. And so we did. Love Amherst, Bedford, Hollis, Derry, Londonderry....All the towns are different, what I heard with good public schools .I love the idea, but here where I have questions that only people who live there can really answer me.

We are truly multicultural family, I'm from Scandinavia, my husband is from NYC, he is black, I am white. We have 2 elementary age mixed children. Is there a town or city in southern NH where we could blend in where there maybe is some mixed families?

Or is there a town we should definitely stay away?

I'm comfortable in snow and ice, rural living ( lived my first 19 years almost in arctic circle!) I know my husband feels more home in town or city. He needs to be able to see neighbors houses .

I haven't have chance to visit Manchester yet. What information I can get from the internet, City looks fine,( I have been living in Brooklyn for past 10 years, so almost anything looks safe and fine to me ) I love the older homes in north end. When I mention this city out loud, I almost heard gasp with horror look ---you surely don't want to live there! So why does it have such a bad reputation? How are the schools?

any information would be greatly appreciated!thanks!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 PM

257 posts, read 616,827 times
I lived in Manchester for four years, and--not to put too fine a point on it--the city gov't has been taken over by Dems--most of whom are insider-crook types. I'm not trying to make any plug for the GOP (I'm a confirmed Bush hater), but as you get into state and local politics up here, it becomes obvious that most of the Dem politicians are just crooked to the core and don't really care if people lose their jobs, businesses--even their lives and livelihoods--because of decisions being made by these committees.

I know that that sounds horrible, but that has been the impression of most of the Dem pols every time I've been in Concord or Manchester City Hall.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,068 times
I understand that the commute from the amherst/hollis area to Peabody would be likely painful unless I went off hours, I'm thinking long-term, and the next job may not be in Peabody, but somewhere else in Metro.

My main motivation of being west of Rt 3 is to keep myself within an hour of the Keene area where the rest of my immediate family lives.

Some additional commuter type questions:

128 trends:
is it equal traffic both ways in the morning/ night or is there a definite commuter pattern.

Is the time to get from say, Bedford [101/3 interchange] down to Nashua area of 3 that much trouble? I guess I'm trying to determine how much more time living in the Bedford area as opposed to Hollis would be.

It also wasn't clear to me when traffic really heats up/ends. It sound like by 7 its a drag. What time does it ease? I would have the ability/luxury to travel off-times [like leave at 9 and stay later or get in for 730/8 and leave early]. I don't know if this would even help my cause.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:40 PM

557 posts, read 1,348,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontradeltarebels View Post
I understand that the commute from the amherst/hollis area to Peabody would be likely painful unless I went off hours, I'm thinking long-term, and the next job may not be in Peabody, but somewhere else in Metro.

My main motivation of being west of Rt 3 is to keep myself within an hour of the Keene area where the rest of my immediate family lives.

Some additional commuter type questions:

128 trends:
is it equal traffic both ways in the morning/ night or is there a definite commuter pattern.

Is the time to get from say, Bedford [101/3 interchange] down to Nashua area of 3 that much trouble? I guess I'm trying to determine how much more time living in the Bedford area as opposed to Hollis would be.

It also wasn't clear to me when traffic really heats up/ends. It sound like by 7 its a drag. What time does it ease? I would have the ability/luxury to travel off-times [like leave at 9 and stay later or get in for 730/8 and leave early]. I don't know if this would even help my cause.
Bedford Route 3 toll to Hollis is an easy ride. No more than 20 minutes, usually 15.

Traffic heats up around 7am from 128 to 495 on route 3 in Massachusetts. It peaks 8-8:30am and begins waning around 8:30-9am.

On the commute home, plenty of traffic until 7:30. That seems to be the magic number. 7:30pm isn't too bad on route 3, especially beyond 128 to 495 and north. 8 to 9pm things really ease with little traffic into NH.

Good/OK commute times- after 8:30am (beginning in NH) to after 7:30pm (leaving Mass/metro)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire