Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 04:40 PM

223 posts, read 540,082 times

Advertisements

hello

we are long time dog/cat owners (indoor pets) - looking to replace our dog which died (age 13) last summer. Our other dog is a 6 yr old standard poodle.

We are looking for a short haired, med sized, female pup, under 1 year old. We've been visiting the shelters for the past few weeks, looking for the right dog. - good with cats, good with dogs, etc. We work from home and are with our pets (all indoor pets) 24/7.
Thought this might be a good place to try looking too... A mixed breed mutt is fine with us!

We could come visit/see your puppies on the weekend

thanks

paul
pauloman@pauloman.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Hi Paul. Hopefully somebody here on CD will be able to help. It's a tough time of year to find puppies, except for planned litters, as most puppies of accidental breedings are born in May/June. I would continue to visit the shelters, and have you tried petfinder.com? Most shelters are tied to that site, and provide lists, pictures, etc. In the next several months, many young dogs will likely become available, the result of "Christmas Puppies" who haven't worked out quite as well as parents who gave in to the "can we have a puppy" plea... Good luck, and if I come across something, I'll let you know

Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
This post caught by eye and I wanted to ask a question. I live in South Texas and there is no shortage of unwanted dogs and cats. Shelters are overflowing and I hate to think of the number of animals that are euthanized (Sp?) at the city pound ever year. I'm sure it's thousands. One no-kill shelter here said in their newsletter that they are actually placing dogs up on the east coast--I think one of their volunteers had moved from New York. So here's the question: Is it really difficult to find a dog to adopt there? It's so hard to imagine, given the problem we have with homeless pets down here.

P.S. I love New Hampshire! We spent some time there two summers ago...beautiful!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Hi Marlow - the shelters are full here as well. Quite often, though, the animals are older than just a few months. The OP is looking for a young animal good with cats and other dogs. sometimes that makes the search a little more difficult.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Hi Marlow - the shelters are full here as well. Quite often, though, the animals are older than just a few months. The OP is looking for a young animal good with cats and other dogs. sometimes that makes the search a little more difficult.
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to hear the unwanted animal problem is universal.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Are they? Every website I've visited has only had *maybe* 3 dogs at most and perhaps a few "courtesy postings from our southern friends".
...or is there just not enough time to keep websites updated? I figured they were more crowded than that...but I was hoping the websites were correct and they were indeed fairly empty...

Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
NHSPCA Dogs available for adoption 1 (http://www.nhspca.org/animals/dogs.html - broken link)

dogs currently available^through the spca....

NHSPCA Cats available for adoption 1 (http://www.nhspca.org/animals/cats.html - broken link)

cats currently available ^

other shelters also have an abundance of animals. Every shelter claims that more than 4000 animals pass through their doors annually.

and they all say "[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Not all of our animals are posted on our website.
To see all of the pets available, come visit our facility![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
"

Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Buck- thanks; I was hoping there were less

<I type this while petting my rescued wonderful dog>

Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
NH SPCA is a great facility. I'd check there. I never fail to send a donation several times a year and every trip to Sam's brings them a big bag of dog food. They are outstanding people.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 AM

223 posts, read 540,082 times
Hi Folks
thanks for the replies. Still have 1 cat in the family (3 cats - 2 dogs - new puppy!- 3 chickens) from when we lived in Houston area.

We did get our puppy from the shelter in Dover. Lots of pups. Cocheco Valley Humane Society.
Our new grandpuppy! Bella - 6 month old beagle mix. Came north from a shelter in Florence, IN.

thanks All

paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire