U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,660 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I currently reside in NJ and me and my husband are looking to move in the next 4-5 years. We usually go to Franconia to visit once a year and the country is beautiful. I would love to know anyone who currently lives in Franconia, Littleton, and or in the surrounding areas that can give me an idea of what living there is like.

We are looking to go into a development and looking for about a 3 acre lot. Is there hospitals, medical, shopping malls, ect in that area without driving an hour away to get to a bit of civilization? How much snow does this area get in a season? How long are winters? How is summer there. Horrible humidity here. We love the snow, and southern jersey doesn't get the snows it use too. We seem to get more dismal days, mostly rain, cloudy or wintry slop.

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. It is nice to get alot of information before settling there permanent.

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 AM

53 posts, read 109,413 times
I'm "north of the Notch" and enjoy living here. Personally, it seems like the people who are happiest here are those who enjoy the outdoors and have at least one outdoor activity that they can partake of at any given time, whatever the season. Skiing, hiking, biking, etc.

Littleton has a hospital; a few folks are critical of it but I've had only good experiences with it.

If a mall is a prerequisite, though, the Littleton area isn't for you. The closest true mall is in Concord, well over an hour away (80 miles). Littleton does have shopping opportunities on a neat Main Street downtown, and also a "strip" area with a few national chains, but definitely no mall.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM

4,551 posts, read 9,859,296 times
Malls are certainly not around in the Littleton Franconia area I do have plenty of nice places to dine, buy some nice clothes and hob nob in that area. Franconia has a most amazing coffee shop called Mojo's right next to the Franconia Village Store...that place just makes my day Littleton has an amazing hair salon Fresh! You can buy great clothes at Bella Funk and Art to Go as well as unique pieces for your home. TJ Maxx is also a great place to clothe your body and put stuff in your home. You can fill your prescriptions at Osco Drug and buy groceries either at the Co-Op or at Shaws. I do think that the hospital is pretty good although finding a primary care doctor that doesn't leave after a bit can be a challenge.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
starlightvisions , Not trying to pick on you directly, really I am not, but the reasons you like Franconia and Littleton, are because there isn't malls and a city life..

I can recall the Kanc as a dirt road, and the cops directing traffic in North Conway standing on a box that looked a lot like a pop corn machine.

North Conway was a beautiful sceneic rural north country town once. Now it looks like Sodom and Gomorrah and the golden mile.

The airport was taken over by the Settlers Green, and now they want an airport... Sorry no room.

There no nice views like there once were either..

So I ask is the malls that important you would bring it with you?

Many locals just kinda get used to watchin the grass grow, or about the same in snow..

The last thing NH needs is more malls that sell junk, made in some foreign country.

Yell at me if you like, but don't bring Mass, NY and NJ to NH... mac

Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
My in-laws live on the family farm in Landaff. This town of 900 is about 4 miles uphill of Lisbon. The scenery is spectacular. I suggest you look on a realty site because AFAIK there are a couple of old farms splitting the house off from the land and selling it separately. This would be an ideal "This Old House" experience. There are no malls but there is the Lahouts clothing and sports conglomerate in Littleton.

I suggest you do some more investigating. Take a couple of week vacation in summer as well as winter to get a better feel for the area. It is a wonderful place to live within its environmental constraint of very long and cold winters.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
Mac - I remember taking flying lessons at that airport back in the day. I miss it too.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:37 AM

I live in the area and I suggest Franconia over Landaff....in fact I'm headed off to Franconia for my amazing cappaccinoo right now

Old 01-26-2010, 12:17 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Mac - I remember taking flying lessons at that airport back in the day. I miss it too.
I recall that airport , but took flyin' lessons over at Fryberg.. Unfortunatley the lessons were as far as I got... Having little people takes a gob of money ya know? he has his own little people now, so's gramps still don't get flyin lessons. Close as i can come is my kawii Nomad.. a BIT SLOW MAYBE, BUT SLOW IS A GOOD SPEED...

Is there some way to kill that caps key?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,917,647 times
N Conway is a mall, essentially. Just no climate control. Franconia and Littleton are really nice but compared to most of the NE, you really need to make your own fun and be able to handle a limited selection of places to eat, shop etc. There is one Thai place in Littleton, one or two great restaurants and a few odd chains and big box stores. There is a Shaw's (supermarket) like you'd see in a Boston 'burb and an Applebees. Like a previous poster said, most people up that way have a passion for something outdoorsy. Just don't yours be trout fishing cuz it ain't too good.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
N Conway is a mall, essentially. Just no climate control. Franconia and Littleton are really nice but compared to most of the NE, you really need to make your own fun and be able to handle a limited selection of places to eat, shop etc. There is one Thai place in Littleton, one or two great restaurants and a few odd chains and big box stores. There is a Shaw's (supermarket) like you'd see in a Boston 'burb and an Applebees. Like a previous poster said, most people up that way have a passion for something outdoorsy. Just don't yours be trout fishing cuz it ain't too good.
Littleton also has a Coop Supermarket that is very nice. There are three very average Chinese eateries that are popular with the locals. There is a totally AMAZING Italian place that is authentic plus another good Italian that offers outside dining in the good weather. There is a nice Mexican place that has some killer drinks and I do mean killer! The Beal house is super good. Timber Alley seems good although I have not been there myself. I totally love love Baliwicks and they are having once a month raw bar that I have heard is good. I frequent Fresh Salon and Day Spa in Thayers Inn that can do one heck of a color so look alive for that place. In other questions.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire