Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Read before relocating to New Hampshire, New England people not friendly, unable to drive in traffic, obsessed with antiques, old stuff, history, high tax rates

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:58 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times

Advertisements

I absolutly looooveee NH and NE.. I lived in FLA for 23 years.. thats borning, dull and just plain horrible.. NE has a history to it.. I hear people in the town I live in because 2 blocks are under construction on Main Street. It was just started a month or so ago and will be done by fall. There were streets were I lived in FLa that were underconstruction for 8 years.. The SAME street constant nostop construction, one day its one lane, then next lanes shift the next you don't even see anyone working on it.. That's misery. Sure its cold up here, but its also beautiful some days, you have a change of season. I'll take taht any day over the eternal sunshine I just had for 23 years. That gets old too, people don't think it does but imagine having a constant winter for 23 years.. Thats how I was only summer. Hot sticky muggy bug infested year round summer.

Be happy about what NE has to offer, you have mountains, lakes, beaches, museums, citys, towns skiing, festivals and so much more. The people are friendly as long as you are friendly to them .Remember you moved in on their town. You don't own the place so don't come in and try to tell them well this is how we did it in CA so you should do it like that here. Thats not what they're about here. Things are slow and chilled. Things will get taken care of , they always are , just no used in flying down the road like a bat out of hell to do it. So chill out, relax, sit back, look at the views NH has to offer take it in and enjoy it.. You'll live much longer with a more relaxed laid back happy lifestyle.. And if you can't do it and the only excuse you can say is its too cold, well then that was your fault for moving here knowing full well that well NH is UP NORTH and it snows anywhere north of south florida..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 AM

57 posts, read 244,890 times
Could you tell me more about NC. Live in NH now and want to relocate South, what part do you live in, jobs and housing, and neighborhoods.

thanks

Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I love NH.
I also think people drive BETTER than where I live (kill or be killed Long Island). The drivers in the Concord area this week were so polite compared to here. There are left turning arrows nearly everywhere and no one beeped us if we didn't move 2.1 seconds after the lights turned green.

Yes, it's almost as expensive as here and you have to earn a living, but man those views..(and no more driving through NYC to escape anywhere.) That's my dream.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,320 times
I live in Raymond NH and I would say it has the worst of the NH stereo types. The taxes are HIGH. Please don't be fooled by the no income tax the property tax, auto registrations and other misc. taxes more then make up the difference. I have family and homes in NH and MA and their is litte if any difference in taxes they are just distributed differently.

Raymond has one of if not the worst school system in the state. The school buildings are falling apart. Education is not valued by the majority so things will not change until new blood comes in.

There is little for children to do. The skate board park is a dirt pit with a broken ramp. Lots of alcohol abuse and domestic violence,more then average for any town. The police are oddly unfriendly for such a small town
. If you drive in town with out of state plates expect to be stopped.

For the high tax rate hard to see what you get.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times
I have found that age made all the difference for me.

I left NE at 18, sort of feeling the same way the person who made this thread felt. Not entirely, but I felt constricted in NE. I got out and lived in several large US cities, and now I'm in the smaller towns of the mid west. I can't wait to return to NE-after 14 years of finding only new problems in the all the old places. Every place will have its pro's and con's-and perhaps you're like me and just needed a fresh reminder of what our idea of happiness truly is?

Go out there and see for yourself. Especially now when then economy is radically changing in some areas. Perhaps I'll be reading a post from you in 14 years titled, "Coming back home".? They say you don't know what you got until it's gone. I can relate to that. I've done the fast paced, contemporary lifestyle, where tailgators are the LEAST of your worries. I'm ready for the colonial style homes on every corner, because to me, its a symbol of childhood comfort. Consistency, trust me when I say, sometimes you're glad things don't change over the years. That's completely 100% the appeal for me to return home.

If someone appears rude upon my return, is in a hurry to get to their destination and tailgates, I simply slow down, let them go around me, give them a big smile, and wave. That serves for me a reminder that I have been there, done that, and got my tee-shirt. And it actually makes me giggle a bit. I hope you find what you're looking for. I know its out there, just perfect for you. I only hope it doesn't change once you find your happy spot-things tend to change fast these days.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 32,574 times
Live in Clemmons and looking to move to Laconia, NH. 13,000 salary increase. Will that be sufficient for NH? I know the cost of living is high but I am originally from the great North NH mountains and want to go home, just a little shy about finding a house to rent. Will buy later. Would appreciate any ideas.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 32,574 times
this was such good information for me to read. I was raised in Northern NH, moved to West Palm Bch Fl in 1981, moved to Wiston Salem , NC in 2006 and now I want to go home. Crazy, but I miss NH. Many say I will hate the winters but...I love snow. The cold will be difficult for me but I have a New Englend soul and I can adjust. My biggest concern is for my birds, and finding a place to rent (3/2) until I can buy. My birds are Floridians.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,584 times
Default Wow.

Seconded. You should really research an area before moving there.
That's pretty offensive to us New England folk. It isn't fair to stereotype everyone as fat, dunkin' donuts consumers who cannot drive. Not everyone is like that, certainly not myself, or many others I know. Also, people will treat you how you treat them, if you give off negativity, you'll most likely get that in return. That said, no matter *where* you go, there will always be rude people,poor drivers,and fast food joints around the corner. It's America. I hope you find someplace you will be happy with.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
I'm here, and I want out! I'm over the people, pace of life, politics, and winters. Welcome to Massachusetts II!

Okay, the people are so downright cold, and unfriendly. The never smile or look you in the eyes. Some would call this "genuine," but I would call this weather or culturally-inflicted.

People in New England can NOT drive in traffic.. People here think that passing one car in heavy traffic will get them to their destination QUICKER. (TAKE FOR EXAMPLE -101 or Route 16 through Dover, ever tried that on rush hour?) That's all life's about here; Get there and do things QUICK.

The roads are narrow, winding and hard to drive on yet sometimes fun. They are NOT relaxing, and tailgaters are everywhere. You could be in the most rural area in Rochester or Laconia and still have someone 3 feet from your tail.

You want food? Try Dunkin Doughnuts. "NH RUNS ON DUNKIN!" No need to drive far for it... It's in every other town here, and it has a drive-through to get your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's the monopoly here and will make you unhealthy and fat!

I'm here, and I want out! New Hampshire is such an un-motivating environment. The nicest towns are not much different than the worst towns. (You'll find bigger houses, and more detailed landscaping.. that's mostly it.) Rye or Ossipee.. it's all pretty much the same thing. Not many towns are unique.. it's all New England-style. No tudor, no french, no contemporary or your neighbors will have a fit.

People are OBESSESED with old stuff. Antique stores, and history.. I'm not at all. Not many people are fascinated by modern design--although we're apparently a liberal region (New England/Taxachusetts) -everyone likes the same furniture, the same black shutters, and the same clothes.

Despite that, this place is still relaxing with all the nature here(not the drivers)-the white mountains are great! but this states definitly not perfect nor the best. The wages are good, but don't be fooled. This state is no where near worth the money that it costs to live here. I'm here, and I want out!
You wanting to avoid misery, try living in FL and dealing with the traffic jams here. In a hurry to get anywhere? Good luck and be careful someone doesn't pull out a gun on you in traffic because your in their way. Don't forget to deal with all the tourists here who have no idea where they are going. Rude people, we got plenty from all over the world of all races and culture that sometimes don't always mix very well. Dunkin Donuts, mmm. i wish we had more around. The closest one to me is an hour away. we have Nasty Krispy Creme donuts here. Everyone here shops at the same stores too. Beach themed homes are everywhere afterall we are the sunshine state. Point being, everyone has their own likes and dislikes of an area and instead of complaining about it, try moving on somewhere else. I grew up in a small town in northern NH and though that small town is way behind in the times, it's still a much safer place to live. I moved to FL and was quite suprised there was another way of life outside of that small town but i sure miss the slower safer pace of life now and hope to get back there before too long. I've had my experience with the big city life and it's just not for me just as NH is not for you. Try getting away from New England all together and see what else is out there.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
I've been hanging on this board for a little while as I am thinking very seriously that this will be my next home area when I am thru with my current job.
A few things: If antiques and history are not your thing, there are many States to choose from. Personally, antiques are my thang...so that is one major positive for me.
Done enough homework on various States and major cities to know that NH has a fantastic educational level of its populace overall. I'm impressed, frankly, by how educated NH is. Another big, big positive to me.
Third, I hope many of the people of NH go to the Dunkin Donuts. I would hate to be the only chubby one there...ha! My biggest fear is that all the ladies in New England are a size 2 or 4...and I'm not nor ever will be.
And last, I would rather people are reserved with me until they know me than the fakey Dallas smile and grin and--when I turn around--stab me in the back (they call it "Dallatude" in Texas). I can deal with reserved. I cannot deal with two-faced people.
Ahhhh....this is the old "one man's trash is another one's treasure" story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire