Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Read before relocating to New Hampshire, New England people not friendly, unable to drive in traffic, obsessed with antiques, old stuff, history, high tax rates

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I would hate to be the only chubby one there...ha! My biggest fear is that all the ladies in New England are a size 2 or 4...and I'm not nor ever will be.
No worries! People are people and you'll find a full range of sizes (being of the well-padded variety myself)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Fashionablecowboy - Too bad you don't enjoy what New Hampshire has to offer. Sometimes the taxes and weekend traffic get to me as well. I still prefer living here to living in Albany, NY or New York City. I am looking to snowbird to New Mexico in a couple of years because I want better weather and much less crowding. Socorro County NM has a population of 20,000 people in an area almost as large as NH south of Concord. The concept of real dark clear nights really appeals.

In any case I hope you enjoy your relocation to outer La La land but I am willing to bet you are just going to bring your disappointments with you.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM

84 posts, read 370,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
I'm here, and I want out! I'm over the people, pace of life, politics, and winters. Welcome to Massachusetts II!

Okay, the people are so downright cold, and unfriendly. The never smile or look you in the eyes. Some would call this "genuine," but I would call this weather or culturally-inflicted.

People in New England can NOT drive in traffic.. People here think that passing one car in heavy traffic will get them to their destination QUICKER. (TAKE FOR EXAMPLE -101 or Route 16 through Dover, ever tried that on rush hour?) That's all life's about here; Get there and do things QUICK.

The roads are narrow, winding and hard to drive on yet sometimes fun. They are NOT relaxing, and tailgaters are everywhere. You could be in the most rural area in Rochester or Laconia and still have someone 3 feet from your tail.

You want food? Try Dunkin Doughnuts. "NH RUNS ON DUNKIN!" No need to drive far for it... It's in every other town here, and it has a drive-through to get your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's the monopoly here and will make you unhealthy and fat!

I'm here, and I want out! New Hampshire is such an un-motivating environment. The nicest towns are not much different than the worst towns. (You'll find bigger houses, and more detailed landscaping.. that's mostly it.) Rye or Ossipee.. it's all pretty much the same thing. Not many towns are unique.. it's all New England-style. No tudor, no french, no contemporary or your neighbors will have a fit.

People are OBESSESED with old stuff. Antique stores, and history.. I'm not at all. Not many people are fascinated by modern design--although we're apparently a liberal region (New England/Taxachusetts) -everyone likes the same furniture, the same black shutters, and the same clothes.

Despite that, this place is still relaxing with all the nature here(not the drivers)-the white mountains are great! but this states definitly not perfect nor the best. The wages are good, but don't be fooled. This state is no where near worth the money that it costs to live here. I'm here, and I want out!

I will switch places with you super fast I am in TX TX has become so competitive with all of the fancy buildings, People outdoing each others houses super wide roads etc. Myself I enjoy homes and building with a history behind them. Also the only places in DFW that has the old victorian and colonial style homes that do have history are in the worst part of towns and are mainly Section 8 homes. Sorry you feel that way but I have a new england itch that just wont go away!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:21 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
boy everything you hate about NH I love, I came from south florida, where there was no history whatsoever. No seriously, as a child I never went to a museum ever.... Infact we didnt' have one. We had to drive 2 hours to Miami to go to one. We didn't have a zoo, or a mall, or anything else. As I grew all that stuff came in, and all the beauty of the town went out the window.. You talk about all the houses being the same. Try Florida. There is only one kind of house there, Cinder block.. and they all look exactly the same. You can't have wood houses, or basements, or walk up attics. We have hurricanes there. As for food, well its snowbirds mostly there. They like to get in get out. During season Nov-April, you have to make reservations to eat at a normal resurant like Applebee's days in adavance. Sometimes there's no openings. Same for breakfast.

You want traffic, my husband and I sat in 45 min traffic everyday to drive to work 3 miles away.. That wasn't rush hour. In rush hour try over an hour. IF there's no accidents. Don't get me started on drivers. Try driving on the road that by far you are the youngest on there by at least 40 years.. Easy, some can't even see over the wheel. Never use directionals, some forgot to put their lights on at night, or in the rain. They go 40 on a 75 mph highway. Weekly we were getting accidents from the old people coming onto the highway on the off ramp, or driving southbound in the northbound lanes.

The only thing to do there was go to the beachs, which if it wasn't 110 degrees outside and the water 95, literally, and we didn't have red tide, or it wasn't sting ray season, or it wasn't jelly fish season, or baracuda season was fine. Or you can go to the movies.. Thats it. I lived in Golf capital of the world. NO joke we had over 40 golf courses in ONE town. If u didnt' play you were screwed

The crime there, every night a murder, a stabbing, a kidnapping. DAILY we had Illegals landing on the beach. you were guarenteed to see Illegals climbing off a boat at least once in your life living there. NOBODY spoke english, NOBODY. I went to McDonalds once, I could not order a burger because she couldn't understand me. She had to call her manager. You have illegals driving on the roads, LOOKING to hit you, so they can collect on insurance.

You wanna talk weather. Last year my Christmas was 83 degrees.. That was after the cool front came through. You think people don't come out for the cold here. People odn't go out for the heat there. Children cannot play outside durning the summer for camps. Too many were dying or being hospitalized for heat stroke. All the playgrounds down there have to have mandatory tarps over them so kids don't get severe burns on thei bodies. If we don't have hurricanes, we have daily afternoon thunderstorms with horrible lightening, or if its not that its a tornado, or suppresive heat with humidity (its the only subtropical place in the US. Ever been to Mexico in August?? ) If it wasnt tornados it was hurricanes, or tropical storms.. you guys have winter for like 3 months really Dec-Feb is the worst. There we had hurricane season 6 months of the year. Wanna have winter for 6 months?

They didn't put up christmas lights around town. You know you hear of towns where people are offended by anything christmas.. Thats where I lived. No happy holidays, or merry christmas.

People in my town called on a child for having a lemonade stand without a city permit. The police shut her down. They called the police for a kid who had a tree house, without a building permit. He had to tear it down.

There is no perfect place, as you can see I can go on and on and on about crap that I had to deal with. NH is a breeze now. If you dont' like NE then move.. try florida. see how you like it

Old 11-15-2007, 08:29 AM

84 posts, read 370,993 times
Man I think you just described TX too!!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
A long time ago I was riding a motorcycle from San Francisco to NYC (I know it was the wrong direction) and saw a place in California proudly saying it was founded in 1974. Then I rode into Santa Fe - the sign said founded in 1507. I thought, "Now that is history - too bad they were off by a millennia or so"

Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 19,430 times
Default Then go please

If you are so unhappy please go. We won't be offended. It's people like you that have moved here and have the unhappy faces not the people who have been here forever. Good luck to you and God Bless

Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 PM

354 posts, read 1,272,952 times
Default Quote: Denis Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
I'm here, and I want out! I'm over the people, pace of life, politics, and winters. Welcome to Massachusetts II!

Okay, the people are so downright cold, and unfriendly. The never smile or look you in the eyes. Some would call this "genuine," but I would call this weather or culturally-inflicted.
Denis Leary ( a native New Englander ) said: Life is difficult, get a helmet....

That's the way it is up here for those who wanna be in LA and with the "beautiful people". We see right through people like you. You can go to the Left Coast and make $$$ and look good....... who cares....New England and NH will be here long after LA falls in the sea. You will then have to move to Nevada...

Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
Denis Leary ( a native New Englander ) said: Life is difficult, get a helmet....

That's the way it is up here for those who wanna be in LA and with the "beautiful people". We see right through people like you. You can go to the Left Coast and make $$$ and look good....... who cares....New England and NH will be here long after LA falls in the sea. You will then have to move to Nevada...
Well I am in LA, and I cant personally wait to move to Keene with my daughter. I have had enough of the crap out here. So Calif isnt the end all. It is just another place to live. A very crowded, smoggy, rude, congested, materialistic, full of illegals, HOT, place to live. Anyone that wants to move here, come on out, cuz I aint gonna be here much longer, so I dont care. Just add to the smog and congestion. You can have it. OH but we cant have LA fall into the sea, that just isnt nice....I do have family out here still.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:25 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
I second the lack of Victorian or older beautiful homes in Houston, also, being only in the Section 8 or rundown areas of town (txbaker27 said the same is true in DFW above in a post). No respect for them in the metros of Texas, I guess. Pity.
It's the old, antique and historical that draws me to NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire