Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

The trouble is there is no ideal place.

I've lived in suburbs and in rural (now) and right now we're ready to get out of here basically because there is little opportunity in rural areas. It's fine if you have a great economy to have your piece of land and a house and your dog but in reality now, most people can't. (unless you are a farmer, retired or rich).

I've live in parts of the Northeast and in the UK.

I think it's beautiful here but just too rural and like I said, there is that little thing called money you need to earn.

I like traveling and do not like to stay in one place too long.

Go and see the world. If what you want is here, it will call you home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Yeah there is that little problem called money, which it seems we must worship as a god, and we 'need' more and more, while it becomes worth less and less. This is a big beef of mine.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
Yeah there is that little problem called money, which it seems we must worship as a god, and we 'need' more and more, while it becomes worth less and less. This is a big beef of mine.
Oh I dunno about that. I certainly don't worship it as anything, but I do enjoy my comforts and amusements, and money is necessary for all of those to happen. and in order for those to happen in the future... money needs to be saved now.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 AM

104 posts, read 467,198 times
Money is a neccessary evil, unfortunately. There is no way around that unpleasant fact unless you're OK with living like a caveman. No matter where you are, if you don't have a way to get enough of it, your quality of life will be severely compromised. Gone are the days when we could be pioneers, settle a piece of land, and build a life with our own two hands. We all feel an inner urge to pioneer - to explore and discover, hoping to find something better. There are some awesome places in the US, but most of them will leave you wanting, if you're from NH. I've learned over the years that NH has what I've been wanting al along. Somehow it has retained that "old fashioned charm" in most of it's small communities. You just don't find that in other states, except maybe Maine and Vermont. But NH has the best laws of all the New England States, far and away. Although the Prop. tax is oppressive, I'll take that to sales tax any day. Trust me, you don't want to live in a state where there's sales tax. It is the most annoying thing ever, when you're not used to it. You think your cash disappears too fast now? Just wait!

If you are lucky enough to have land, keep it! You're young, explore now while you have no other commitments or strings holding you to one place. Get it out of your system and learn all that you can! But keep your land to come home to. You will appreciate it so much more when you have a family! If I had a nice piece of acreage I could call my own in NH I never would have left! That is what I spent 30 years trying to afford there, and never could. You are very fortunate to have that - DON'T take it for granted!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Just now in the north country money is becoming sort of scarce. If you are a nurse, or a social worker getting paid by the state, then there is tons of jobs, maybe to the point there is a lower earning rate than there should be. Maybe not, and I am neither.

I do machine repairs, cars, boats, motorcycles, and can be a wood worker and none of these are in demand right now. People here are holding on to money and putting off repairs.. The tide will turn, but right now things for many are somewhat rough.

Things in Md can be very different.

Due to many things I like lots of different part time work, a sort of many baskets to add to be one earning, over a job that you do the same thing a lot, and if the job fails you are stuck totally.

Living here in the north, means you must diversify, and be many things, or at least that has historicly been the way of it.

I could create a long list of places that are no longer around, dealing with things from factories car shops and dealers, to fooderies of all kinds and more. The fault of putting all of the eggs in the same basket.

In the past I drove teams and hauled sleds filled with tourists as a basket, and did carpentry, while the main job was a foreign car tech. More than 3 times i went to work on a given pay day as a car tech and found the doors basicly locked the managment gone, long gone, and still todate owing the pay to the crew, of which i am one, and being greeted by the Sherrif to gather up my tools.

I did too, and gathered my my tools which isn't so easily done, and took them somewhere to get on the sled and then go bang nails. Seek out something else..

Pretty much right now, anything being built has a line of carpenters in the wings trying to get in, and slews of painters or roofers... etc..

This is the first time in my life I haven't been able to find work in less than 3 days.

Money is just a tool, but these days one with a bit too much emphasis if you ask me.

I got this old car, and had it a very long time... Used to be at around 40,000 miles the rear brake pads wore out and then they were $14.00, another 40,000 miles passed and the prive was near the same, and another 40,000 miles and the price went to 45 bucks a set for the same thing, and I put in 3 more sets of these, and there isn't a thing different about these brake pads other than the price.

I about had a heart attack the last time i looked at the price of sheet rock screws! What was around 3 dollars and change, is way out of sight! over 20 bucks for the same thing..

I can recall when a 2x4 was under a buck and no more I guess...

But I am old and my first job was at 65 cents an hour... I am so sure my SS will reflect that too.

I don't really care, since man and man's ways seen kinda silly to me, and I can and do start fire with a bow drill. In some ways i am the freeest living man in the Nation. Other wise I am dead busted flat.. Oh well not to worry.

Besides money the thing that bugs me most is being told "Go forth and re-invent yourself!" As if this is a cake walk, and I do and then something happens like Columbine, and that means I need to re-invent myself again, and I do, and teach myself to be a silversmith and that goes thru the roof too!

Seems ta' me some body never heard old dawgs don't like to learn new tricks every few years and old dawgs get a little snappy.

last and only since I have been out looking for work is the new job apps, and these have 3 places for the 3 last names you used and a great big section for how many times you were convicted for felonies!

I don't have 3 different last names and I don't have any felonies either, but it looks like I might need to invent some of each!

Maybe Kidd, as a last name since i am stricken with PPS (Peter Pan Syndrome)
Felony Conviction Ginger Snap mutilation with intent to eat..

AKA Gingersnap Kid

Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Sounds like a good time to go ice fishing. You want to see some out of work housebuilder's, you should see it down here. It's sickning.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Hey Mac, and your point in all this was.....?

That's great that you have the skills and are able to do all these things, and are able and willing to live that life if you need to. good for you, it lets you live happy. but that means that people who don't have these skills or aren't willing to live in the national forest are wrong/bad? that's how it's sounding.

I'm sorry you're out of work right now. Lots of people are. Lots of people in MD are. I have friends in construction who have been out of work for months and about to lose their house. I have a friend in DC who's about to be living in her car because she can't find work.

No, money is not a god or even God. but some of it does help to live more comfortably when you can get it. otherwise you wouldn't be caring about it either.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM

17 posts, read 99,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
Some other things that were foreign to us:

* Kudzu, which is this predator vine that has taken over most of the south, enveloping trees except for a few months in the winter when it goes dormant. You like it less and less the longer you live there.

* Fire ants. These little critters look just like our little red ants, but they're actually in the wasp family. Their mounds spring up all over the place but you can put pesticide down to kill them easily enough. Unfortunately, they take the fun out of going barefoot, or even in sandals.

* Bible thumpers. Granted, it's the Bible belt, but it is unsettling to find that people's initial greeting on meeting you is "What church do you go to?"

We kept an eye out for Brown Recluse spiders, and did find a small Black Widow spider under one of our mulching bins, but these were very minor concerns.
Fire ants?! I hate ants, and I've only seen the black ants that we have around here, the ones that get in your house in the summer time and you have no idea how they're getting in. Where do you find fire ants? Do they get in your house? Are they on the beaches and stuff? Should I worry while walking in the grass?

Ugh... Bible Thumpers... I know there is a lot of religious people down south, and I am a soul believer in "Keep your religious mumbo-jumbo to yourself." I hope that people don't hate me if I go down south because I'm not religious, or believe in God. I don't mind religious people, but when they try and convert me, or tell me I'm going to hell because I do not believe [which has happened so many times] then they become annoying.

Do Black Widow's and Brown Recluse spiders get into houses? Could I ever find one in my bed or shower? I already hate the spiders we have around here, but I know they're nothing compared to other ones around the world.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:55 PM

17 posts, read 99,822 times
I've had jobs before, and they always end before school starts up again. [I travel from Farmington to Concord every day, and people always think I don't have time to work so they don't even consider me for a job, even though I get home before 1pm every day.] I've applied to about 20 jobs in just this past week, and I've only heard back from 2 people. One of them actually wished he had read all of his e-mails before he choose some punk kid to work on his computers. I have a decent resume, and lots of skills and experience from previous jobs, and college classes. But its just so frustrating and depressing to be qualified but still turned down. I'm trying to save up as much money as I can to contribute to me and my boyfriends move, even though we can do it on just his salary alone. [He has the best job I have ever heard of. He is an internet tech person, who takes calls when people's internet isn't working. He gets maybe 1 call a night, and the majority of the night he plays xBox or does his homework. He gets paid 9.45 an hour, and put himself through college with out any financial aid.]

I've been looking in the Rochester - Dover area for a job, even if its just 8 dollars an hour. But nobody seems to be hiring, or if they are, they don't want me for some reason; or thats at least how I feel.
Job hunting these days is very depressing and frustrating. There are probably less jobs in SC. *sigh* I wish you didn't need money to do the things you wanted, or to try new things. I feel like life is passing me by before I get a chance to experience things because I have to save up for everything. I understand I am young, but I just hate being so "sheltered" in NH, and not being able to do anything about it.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM

WCH, sorry.... maybe some of my frustration is leaking thru, mainly it is in Nh one needs to be varriable, and have more than one skill set. I do and the tools, and still can't find work.

I alter waiting for pages to load from NH jobs security, where I collect a list of contacts, then come here, and just say how it is.

sick of re-inventing the wheel so many times.
Sorry

ASLeathe, it isn't you. No one is hiring right now, so far as i can tell. I have been out to a lot of NH jobs security places taking apps, and finding that ahead of me that day 25+ people were where ever I went. It isn't just NH either..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire