U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM

96 posts, read 571,785 times

Advertisements

Our family had our summer tradition,go to Hampton or Wells beach and then go to Yokens or Newicks.Sigh....wish I could do that now,what passes for seafood here in Idaho is Red Lobster.A little off topic,but wasn't there a place in Hampton Beach where you could watch saltwater taffy being made?The name Goldenrod comes to mind but my memory is a little fuzzy on that one,don't feel bad Steve I feel old too,and I'm only 43.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM

96 posts, read 571,785 times
Ok, answered my own question,it was Goldenrod kisses in York,my memory must be getting bad.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,750,312 times
The old machine at the candy store at Hampton Beach was still there a year or two ago. Nothing like FRESH saltwater taffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
Our family had our summer tradition,go to Hampton or Wells beach and then go to Yokens or Newicks.Sigh....wish I could do that now,what passes for seafood here in Idaho is Red Lobster.A little off topic,but wasn't there a place in Hampton Beach where you could watch saltwater taffy being made?The name Goldenrod comes to mind but my memory is a little fuzzy on that one,don't feel bad Steve I feel old too,and I'm only 43.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 AM

313 posts, read 358,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Oops, not Valley's, it's Valle's Steak House. I didn't know this, but it was a chain that ran from Florida to Maine - there were 34 of them. The Kittery location closed in 1991.

I still feel old....
I'm 44, so I understand what you're saying! I think there was a Vallee's in Westbrook, ME, too. Going out to eat was a big deal when I was a kid (maybe once or twice a year) - we had to get all dressed up for the occasion!

Yoken's was usually near the top of the list since they had a huge menu and I thought the sign was neat to watch (yep, I was easy to entertain!). Hector's was a close second because they served an Apple Fritter (I think) before your meal. You definitely don't see that style of restaurant much anymore!

I do remember one time we all piled into my Grandfather's Pontiac Bonneville (what a boat!) and made "the journey" to Saugus and the Hilltop Steak House on a Sunday afternoon. When my Mom saw the line going around the building and not knowing that the line moves quickly, she absolutely refused to wait. We ended up at Kowloon instead. Reading about Yoken's brought back that memory.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,342,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
We made sure we went just before it closed it's doors. It was a bittersweet visit, Somewhere in my non digital archives we have a picture or two of the event.

Yokens will be missed, like Pablos in Hooksett, or like Angelos on Hanover street. The original Little Mexico on Elm street and so many other eateries that have disappeared from NH's landscape anyone else remember Pennywit?
I remember the Pennywitt Snack Bar on the "old" 101 in Candia. That used to be quite the drive- in. The Tailgate Lounge was right down the road.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,811,464 times
At least we can still go to the Goldenrod in York Beach and see the salt water taffy being made, and go to York's Wild Kingdom. That's one thing that hasn't changed since I was a kid. And that skee-ball/arcade on short sands is still there - I love York Beach! (although Hampton was more fun when I was a trouble making teenager!)

Old 02-13-2010, 06:29 AM

1,396 posts, read 2,928,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Oops, not Valley's, it's Valle's Steak House. I didn't know this, but it was a chain that ran from Florida to Maine - there were 34 of them. The Kittery location closed in 1991.

I still feel old....
As a child, I remember Valle's for their fried clam dinners! Delicious! We used to eat lunch there while on our way to Wells for the weekend.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:00 PM

425 posts, read 958,909 times
Default salt water taffy

Im trying to put a finger on the name of the candy shop at hampton beach that made the taffy and homemade fudge,but the name escapes me, I will ask my dad he would remember.
Still after all of this nostalga, no one has the recipe for Yokens house salad dressing huh?I wonder who the owners were, maybe I could find them, and see if they remember.my dad is 81 and he has been going up to H.B all his life as I have.
When my time comes, I will be cremated and I want my ashes scattered on Plaice Cove Beach,because that is the beach where i have grown up and brought my own children and my grandaughter.I have a green glass jar that was made into a lamp, that is full of sea glass that my mother collected over 50 years of walking that beach, she has been gone 10 years ,but I still see her stooped over picking up glass.many many very happy memories there, and walking up on the boardwalk in rye after getting an ice cream cone at Pope's(the beach plum)there ice cream is great by the way.going whale watching out of rye harbor, watching fireworks every weds night all piled in the car in are jammies.
going down to Salisbury beach amusement park,way back in the day when it wasnt all bars,with a real carosel,a wooden rollercoaster and a fun house.I will be 50 this summer and I have to say I couldnt have asked for a better childhood, and wonderful family, I am truly blessed.
In this day and age with the wars raging,tsunami's, floods, mudslides,earthquakes and basically all hell breaking loose its nice to go back and remember a simpler place and time. And Yoken's was that for me.
if anyone has a way to contact the prior owners please tell me how. thanks for letting me remenice

Last edited by grandmallie; 02-14-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,750,312 times
grandmallie, I'm only a couple of years behind you, and I also have good memories of both Hampton Beach and Salisbury Beach. You must have watched the band concerts (even though we would rather be at the "penny" arcades Do you remember that ski ball was a dime per play?? I think the name of the candy and fudge shop was Jenkin's but could be wrong on that. I'll ask my mom

Salisbury was where we went for beach pizza (which is/was best--Tripoli, Christy's or Christaldi's?) So many summer nights there, watching the crazy daring people ride The Sky Ride and that wild wooden roller coaster. Do you remember there was one place where you could win a live puppy?? I wanted so badly to win that ultimate prize (and can you imagine such a thing these day?) Fun times, great memories...

Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,811,464 times
"I wonder who the owners were, maybe I could find them, and see if they remember"Kevin Macleod was the owner. Not sure if he's still local, but a search of any internet white pages comes up with a name or two. I bet he'd remember. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire