U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 AM

425 posts, read 958,653 times

Advertisements

It is sooo nice to find friends in similar places, thanks for all the help
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Default Junkins!!!!!!!

well hot damn im glad someone has a good memory, the surf sweet shop that burned had the taffy pull, I dont know if the other small candy shop has it.
I hear they are trying to get a tax break to rebuild up there,I sure hope they do. I just wish I had more time to spend up there. our place up there needs TLC, and none of us have money really to put into it, we will do what we can to fix it up.
It is a big place and was built almost 100 years ago.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 10,074 times
Ah memorys lol. I lived in Kittery for 8 years over the Flower Pot Florest on rt one. I was there from 1978 to 1985 and worked at Score Board Lounge. Gone is my little apartment where I had my son who is now almost 27 years old. After all these years I am still bartending and so miss Vallys,Yokens, and Hectors. I can still remember my son was 7 months and we had him in an old metel highchair at Hectors and he started choking on an oyster cracker. I couldnt get him out of that stupid highchair so my hubby broke it to get him out. I still hate oyster crackers to this day and my Grandaughter never is allowed them lol. Life goes by so fast as it seems like just yesterday.Glad to see people remember the good old days!!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:03 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,810,515 times
Hector's is gone? For how long? Don't really get down that way much. I usually get distracted by Lago's Lone Oak ice cream stand and never make it any further south on Rt 1.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:14 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,204,940 times
There are so few restaurants left...even Kentucky Fried Chicken went out of business in Exeter. I guess property taxes here have put virtually everyone out of business, combined with the endless lousy economy. What do our local officials do with all the money? We certainly don't have much for social services!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,009 times
You could watch them pull taffy in the window at Hampton Beach, NH also. Right on Ocean Blvd. It was a candy shop called Margaret Junkins. We used to go there all the time because my father liked the caramel corn there so we used to buy it every year. I think it might be still there, but I don't think that it is Junkins anymore. We used to also go to Hampton Beach every year and then go to Yoken's and Marky's Fish Market Restaurant and Newick's all in the same time we stayed at the Beach.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
The Loaf and Ladel Tavern is still in business in Exeter. The building was damaged in the recent flooding but the place is still open.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 AM

Default Lone Oak

ahhhh yes thats another place thats a must stop.I get a small cone and ask for a bowl because they are soooo huge.
glad that is still there. I dont know when I will be able to get up there this year, also there is a small little place up near North Beach called Lupo's.they have awesome homemade muffins that they put on the grill-ohhhhhh yummm and there breakfast's are great. if any of you are around there stop by .
we go to Ray's up in Rye for lobster, just the ride up rt 1a is beautiful.
Hope everyones summer is going well, and as Bob Hope used to say
Thanks for the memories!!!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
Default Hi all

Don't know if anybody is still checking thisold post but here is my 2 cents.

Dogwoman29

Who knows maybe we know each other, use to go to the score board allot late 70's early 80's and my parents owned Hector's. HEctor was my dad and I ran the kichten the last 5 years or so we had the place.

Valle's steak house was smallish chain got it's start in South Portland Me. and that is where the headquaters was. Have fond memories of Valle's.

Yoken's was our main competitor we bought our location from Kevin in 1973 or 73 it was called the "Steak out" at the time with a 40-50 gangster motif.

I still have the recipes for most of the food at Hector's and forthe record it was corn fritters, I made hundreds of thousands of thise things(and I miss them too)

Dave Dionne

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,637,003 times
Wow, this is kinda late, my brother worked at Yoken's in 1966-1967. Back then they had their own bakery. All the bread, bisquits, cakes, pies, they served were made right there. They had 3 or 4 different dining rooms, all had separate names and décor was different in each room. All had table cloths at that time. My family ate there a few times a week since my brother worked there, he was first a bus boy and the owner liked him, so he put him in the bakery to work. My favorite was fried clams. In 2001, I passed through and stopped there, place was empty, they used paper plates, no table clothes, it obviously went downhill but the clams were good,not as good as I remembered them to be. Aaah, memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire