U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,542 times

Advertisements

hectors country kitchen????thats funny stuff..... hector was like a grandfather to me!!!! i was the boy on top of the flag pole in the middle of the parking lot and broke out all the motels windows, and lived at the other end of the restaurant..... good memories!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,542 times
hi dave... little rickie here...what a small world??? corn fritters...whoa!!!!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM

741 posts, read 1,024,625 times
Just thinking about Goldenrod's and York's Animal Kingdom....

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,429,221 times
I remember Yokens. We stopped there a couple of times on our way from Maine to visit relatives in MA. It was always busy.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,809,960 times
Just drove by there a couple of days ago. There's a 5 Guys Burgers going up as well as a Rite Aid. It just doesn't look right with the sign gone. Like we need another freakin Rite Aid. I just tried 5 Guys in Dover the other day and liked it, so I won't complain about that.

Anyone know who bought the sign?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:30 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,486,348 times
i remember yokens
Attached Thumbnails
Yokens-does anyone remember!!!-454623705_67ba31cd6d_b.jpg  

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,012,848 times
Thar she blows!

I remember taking my elderly grandfather to SAR meetings at Yokens when I was a teen. I hated sitting at the meetings as they were so incredibly boring. The lunch I got for driving him made it all worth it though. Good times.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 436 times
I worked at Yoken's from June '67 to August '68 when I was 15 and 16 years old. What wonderful people that owned and managed the business, and what a place it was. 4 dining rooms, Spouter, Whaler, Twilight Room, and the 4th name escapes me now. 2 Line kitchens, a giant prep kitchen, pantry, 2 dish washing areas, a coffee shop and a bakery. The dinner rolls were very fresh. You never saw a cleaner well organized operation ever. And the front entrance had a beautiful gift shop. Waitress' all wore the same uniforms.
Everyone who worked there was professional and dedicated to the goal of making it a wonderful experience.
I started out at $1.00 per hour and left at $1.20 per hour. It was a learning expierence to learn for a young man. I worked for Kevin in the back doing a lot of different positions. I remember in '67 the radio always playing with the Red Sox games and Yaz and Tony C.
I'm sorry the see that it's gone, there was supposed to have been another one down the road in Mass. but again I do not have recall of just where.
Thank you Portsmouth for saving the sign, it was special and worth saving.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 AM

211 posts, read 150,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Driscoll View Post
I worked at Yoken's from June '67 to August '68 when I was 15 and 16 years old. What wonderful people that owned and managed the business, and what a place it was. 4 dining rooms, Spouter, Whaler, Twilight Room, and the 4th name escapes me now. 2 Line kitchens, a giant prep kitchen, pantry, 2 dish washing areas, a coffee shop and a bakery. The dinner rolls were very fresh. You never saw a cleaner well organized operation ever. And the front entrance had a beautiful gift shop. Waitress' all wore the same uniforms.
Everyone who worked there was professional and dedicated to the goal of making it a wonderful experience.
I started out at $1.00 per hour and left at $1.20 per hour. It was a learning expierence to learn for a young man. I worked for Kevin in the back doing a lot of different positions. I remember in '67 the radio always playing with the Red Sox games and Yaz and Tony C.
I'm sorry the see that it's gone, there was supposed to have been another one down the road in Mass. but again I do not have recall of just where.
Thank you Portsmouth for saving the sign, it was special and worth saving.
Yoken's was a customer of mine from the early 1980's until they closed. I knew Kevin Macleod, worked with Harry Macleod, his wife two daughters at the gift shop selling product to them and I remember the son was a cook. That was a while ago now, but great memories. Businesses come and go, but that place cannot be replaced it was an icon.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 PM

100 posts, read 57,763 times
For those of you still curious about the sign, the city moved it temporarily during the construction so it would not get damaged. As of November when I was up that way, the sign is back in it's original spot and the shopping area there is called Yoken's Plaza. I believe the sign now has "landmark" status with the city.

The bowl-a-rama is gone and a walk in health care place is in there now which is pretty ridiculous since there is one on the opposite side on the street as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire