U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM

425 posts, read 958,653 times

Advertisements

My family has a place in Hampton that has been in the family for almost 100 years, and Yokens was just a hop ,skip and a jump up beautiful 1A,went there until the time it closed, so miss walking thru the gift shop, having the name heard over the loud speaker and off to dinner we went. I dont know if anyone out there has the recipe for the house salad dressing, Oh how I miss that, I would soooo appreciate any responses on the recipe and your memories of Yoken's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM

4,541 posts, read 11,745,815 times
Thumbs up Thar She Blows!

I remember Yokens and wish it was there to bring my kids to. I think I've read something about the city of Portsmouth buying the sign... maybe? Anyway, here's one for the memory!

Did anyone ever get THE WINNING KEY? I never did get anything from that darn treasure chest...

Last edited by Valerie C; 02-11-2010 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM

313 posts, read 358,789 times
Thar' She Blows! - It has been a few years since I drove that part of US1, is the sign still there?

Yoken's was one of my Grandparents' favorite places to go (along w/ Hector's Country Kitchen in Rye - just showed my age!) Bought quite a few items over the years from the gift shop. Can't help on the salad dressing though

I also remember there was a steak house on the US1 bypass in Kittery, before the Piscataqua River Bridge on I-95 was completed in the early 70's (we had to take the bypass bridge to get to Pease AFB and the commissary). I think it's a motorcycle dealership now - anyone remember the name of that restaurant?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,516,947 times
the sign is still there.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM

425 posts, read 958,653 times
Default hey fishnfool

where are you up there? I love it up there I wish I could get up there more often

Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,367,188 times
The sign is still there? maybe, but I was there this week and have been near where I thought it was a few times, and haven't seen it. Rt 1 heading south via the by pass to Hertiage Road, should have me driving by that sign right?

I have to go there again in a few weeks, so I will look harder.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,625,146 times
We made sure we went just before it closed it's doors. It was a bittersweet visit, Somewhere in my non digital archives we have a picture or two of the event.

Yokens will be missed, like Pablos in Hooksett, or like Angelos on Hanover street. The original Little Mexico on Elm street and so many other eateries that have disappeared from NH's landscape anyone else remember Pennywit?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,810,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
Thar' She Blows! - It has been a few years since I drove that part of US1, is the sign still there?

Yoken's was one of my Grandparents' favorite places to go (along w/ Hector's Country Kitchen in Rye - just showed my age!) Bought quite a few items over the years from the gift shop. Can't help on the salad dressing though

I also remember there was a steak house on the US1 bypass in Kittery, before the Piscataqua River Bridge on I-95 was completed in the early 70's (we had to take the bypass bridge to get to Pease AFB and the commissary). I think it's a motorcycle dealership now - anyone remember the name of that restaurant?
That steak house on the Rt 1 bypass was Valleys Steak House. I went there many times as a kid while growing up in Kittery. What a great place.

As for Yokens, my wife worked there from 1998-2000, so we ate a lot of discounted meals there. The owners were very good to her. It's about the only place my parents liked to go out to eat (they go to the Weathervane now). I must have tried hundreds of keys in that treasure chest to no avail. They don't make restaurants with that kind of character anymore. At one point, I worked for the company who had the janitorial contract with Yokens, so I dealt with Kevin (the owner) extensively. He was very picky about the cleanliness of his restaurant.

As for the "thar she blows" sign, last time I saw it, it was covered with a tarp and still in place in front of the former restaurant site. What a shame - it needs to be preserved as it's a Portsmouth landmark. Speaking of signs, I also grew up with the "bowl a rama" sign in front of the bowling alley on Lafayette Road. I hear that's being torn down and a new sign replacing it. I think that's kind of a Portsmouth icon too, and a little retro to boot. I'm 40, and that signs been the same as long as I can remember it.

God, I sound like an old person talking about the "old days"....

Old 02-12-2010, 03:08 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,810,515 times
Oops, not Valley's, it's Valle's Steak House. I didn't know this, but it was a chain that ran from Florida to Maine - there were 34 of them. The Kittery location closed in 1991.

I still feel old....

Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 AM

758 posts, read 2,516,947 times
Quote:
where are you up there? I love it up there I wish I could get up there more often
I live near north beach on the Hampton/N. Hampton line but I drive to Portsmouth probably 2-3 times a week.

As far as I remember Steve is correct and the sign was covered by a tarp last year. Honestly I drive that route so often that I sort of zone out....it could've been taken down and I probably would not have noticed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire