Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times

Advertisements

Regarding the flooding. I just thought that it is important to point out. New Hampshire had 3 massive flooding events in between October 2005 and April 2007. If you search on the internet you can find specifics. During all three, homes were literally washed down the road and numerous roads were completely washed out. I was just thinking if I were coming from out of state, I would want to be aware of this.

Granted, Florida has hurricanes all the time and there is crazy weather all over the country. By no means am I saying not to move here, I think you will love Keene and the Monadnock region. I would just keep in mind that this crazy flooding has gone on. If you are buying a home, ask how that was affected during the flood. NH has a lot of dams. Not sure exactly where in the Keene area, but maybe look for a home above the dam as opposed to below it.

This flooding was amazing. Not in Keene, but in towns like Goffstown and Allenstown, people were literally still rebuilding from one flood when another flood happened and wiped them out.

Just something to think about when you are picking the location of your new home. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
I don't live in or even near Keene, but I can say that flooding was severe all over the state of NH in those storms. Having not one, but two 100-year storms within such a short time is unexpected by any standards. Just not something that we expect in NH. Check out this link from Fosters to see that while Keene was particularly hard hit, there were no areas that were spared. In my area of southern NH, several bridges washed out, etc and roads took months to be reopened. Here is the link:
Foster's Flood of 2007

Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 PM

Default New Hampshire Seasons

Countrylv22, here in New Hampshire, we have several seasons, mud season being one of them!

Mud Season comes WAY after "Oh look, the FIRST SNOW of the season. Isn't it just beautiful (magical, wonderful.. insert lovely descriptive term here)".

Several weeks after "PRETTY SNOW SEASON comes DIRTY SNOW Season. That's when the snow piles up on the sides of roads, and becomes a dark gray/black from the tons of salt, sand, pollution, etc.

Next usually comes DAMN IT'S COLD OUTSIDE Season, this comes and goes (sometimes we have a day of 75 degreez in January, just enough to get our perennial bulbs excited, only to be frozen to death hours later...

Eventually, we come to I'M THROUGH SHOVELING SNOW Season (that's when you notice your neighbors have begun to trudge through snow knee deep instead of trying to keep up with that white lumpy rain that just keeps falling...

MUD SEASON comes between I'M THROUGH SHOVELING Season and WHEN WILL THIS RAIN END Season (you've heard that April Showers bring May Flowers... well they also bring the first of New Hampshire's state bugs, black flies. Luckily they're also known as "May Flies", which means that they MAY be here through the entire month of MAY. They are especially fun when they fly up your nose and even MORE fun if you happen to be digging in the garden when this happens... the excitement never ends.

When the cute little black flies go away, we're sometimes into June. June is wonderful. We can work in the garden, spend time hiking, biking, enjoying life in and outdoors. June is all about flowers blooming, grilling salmon on the grill, setting up the lawn furniture and playing a game of lawn jarts (I think we bought the last set before they were outlawed!) June is wonderful.

Next in the seasons come MOSQUITO Season. Warm summer days and nights seem to kick off this season, and it co-mingles with DAMN IT'S HOT Season and IT'S NOT THE HEAT, IT'S THE HUMIDITY Season. Don't let these seasons get to you--Summer is the shortest season we have, so ENJOY that HEAT! Soak up that HUMIDITY! Because all too soon... it's BACK TO SCHOOL Season, when we have to listen to whiney kids lament how it's just not fair (but hey that $150 pair of Nike sneakers might help...) Within a few short weeks, this season becomes LEAF PEEPING or FOLIAGE Season. Crystal clear blue-sky days mixed with sugar maple reds and oranges, birch bright yellows, brilliant burning bush everywhere. Columbus Day may be the celebration of the explorer who got lost, but explorers from the other 48 states drive up Route 93 (all 2 lanes of it) to see the show...

Just a few weeks after the Mother Nature shows her colors, the leaves turn brown and crispy, fall to the ground, making way for LEAF PILE Season, and in some areas, this is also LEAF BURNING Season. Enjoy it, because guess what... sometimes even before the kids have had their pilgrim play at school, it comes again, yes FIRST SNOW OF THE SEASON Season... and so it goes

This is sooo not what you were asking, but I had fun with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

you hear several people complaning about too much rain, 'mud season', too many floods.... I am just wondering why???
<snip>
And what tends to be the rainy season, from what month to what month??
Anyway, I believe the entire state of NH is quite beautiful!
And the people are very friendly!
So I am just wondering about FLOODS , and why???
Thank you,
Take care,
Countrylv22

Old 08-01-2007, 09:29 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,996 times
I live in Keene for most of the year as I'm a college student at Keene State College. Keene is a fun little town - I think you'll enjoy it.

Regarding the floods: Don't be too concerned. Yes, there was some damage done, but you just have to be smart about where to buy a house. The areas hit hard by the flood were the really low-lying areas and the areas along the rivers. Just do your research about the land you're buying on, and you'll be fine.

Also be advised: the areas closest to Main St/the downtown area are mostly college houses. Don't buy in that area for sure! There are plenty of nice neighborhoods around Keene that aren't lived in by a bunch of college kids.

Also, I wouldn't advise living TOO far out of Keene. In the wintertime, getting over the large hills outside of Keene will be difficult (and the surrounding towns aren't too good about plowing). If you do plan on living outside of Keene, make sure your car can handle getting up big hills with lots of snow on them!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,641 times
Thumbs up I Laughed So Much!! Ha Ha Ha!! Thank You !

HELLO VALERIE C!

THANKS FOR MAKING ME LAUGH SO MUCH!
I was having a bad day, until I read your post! I truly enjoyed it!
Its too funny!

Well, I can tell you, I am not looking forward to the bugs, or humidity, and hopefully the flooding will stop when we get there HA HA HA!!

And MUD SEASON will be SPRING TIME IN PARADISE! HA HA HA!
Yeah, I know that I am probably dreaming! RIGHT!! HA HA HA!

Take care,
Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Countrylv22, here in New Hampshire, we have several seasons, mud season being one of them!

Mud Season comes WAY after "Oh look, the FIRST SNOW of the season. Isn't it just beautiful (magical, wonderful.. insert lovely descriptive term here)".

Several weeks after "PRETTY SNOW SEASON comes DIRTY SNOW Season. That's when the snow piles up on the sides of roads, and becomes a dark gray/black from the tons of salt, sand, pollution, etc.

Next usually comes DAMN IT'S COLD OUTSIDE Season, this comes and goes (sometimes we have a day of 75 degreez in January, just enough to get our perennial bulbs excited, only to be frozen to death hours later...

Eventually, we come to I'M THROUGH SHOVELING SNOW Season (that's when you notice your neighbors have begun to trudge through snow knee deep instead of trying to keep up with that white lumpy rain that just keeps falling...

MUD SEASON comes between I'M THROUGH SHOVELING Season and WHEN WILL THIS RAIN END Season (you've heard that April Showers bring May Flowers... well they also bring the first of New Hampshire's state bugs, black flies. Luckily they're also known as "May Flies", which means that they MAY be here through the entire month of MAY. They are especially fun when they fly up your nose and even MORE fun if you happen to be digging in the garden when this happens... the excitement never ends.

When the cute little black flies go away, we're sometimes into June. June is wonderful. We can work in the garden, spend time hiking, biking, enjoying life in and outdoors. June is all about flowers blooming, grilling salmon on the grill, setting up the lawn furniture and playing a game of lawn jarts (I think we bought the last set before they were outlawed!) June is wonderful.

Next in the seasons come MOSQUITO Season. Warm summer days and nights seem to kick off this season, and it co-mingles with DAMN IT'S HOT Season and IT'S NOT THE HEAT, IT'S THE HUMIDITY Season. Don't let these seasons get to you--Summer is the shortest season we have, so ENJOY that HEAT! Soak up that HUMIDITY! Because all too soon... it's BACK TO SCHOOL Season, when we have to listen to whiney kids lament how it's just not fair (but hey that $150 pair of Nike sneakers might help...) Within a few short weeks, this season becomes LEAF PEEPING or FOLIAGE Season. Crystal clear blue-sky days mixed with sugar maple reds and oranges, birch bright yellows, brilliant burning bush everywhere. Columbus Day may be the celebration of the explorer who got lost, but explorers from the other 48 states drive up Route 93 (all 2 lanes of it) to see the show...

Just a few weeks after the Mother Nature shows her colors, the leaves turn brown and crispy, fall to the ground, making way for LEAF PILE Season, and in some areas, this is also LEAF BURNING Season. Enjoy it, because guess what... sometimes even before the kids have had their pilgrim play at school, it comes again, yes FIRST SNOW OF THE SEASON Season... and so it goes

Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 77,522 times
Default The many seasons of NH

Wow, Valerie C, that seemed to help me... I think... with my decision whether or not to move from NH to NC. I don't want to be a person looking for a greener grass, if you know what I mean, but I couldn't agree with you more about the seasons you have described. I can't wait to read your message to my husband. We've been on the fence. I love my family very much (my parents and siblings), but my immediate family is my number one priority and I know that I need to be a happy person to be a happy mother, etc., and I curse the cold and mosquitoes and all the rain and gray days a lot here in NH. It would be so hard for me to leave because it is so beautiful and I love the land soooo much. I'm not sure if I could get used to another state being my "home". NC would be a culture shock... I wonder how long it would take me to feel like I'm "home". Anyone's opinion on this is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post

Old 08-08-2007, 05:36 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,175,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtoNC? View Post
Wow, Valerie C, that seemed to help me... I think... with my decision whether or not to move from NH to NC. I don't want to be a person looking for a greener grass, if you know what I mean, but I couldn't agree with you more about the seasons you have described. I can't wait to read your message to my husband. We've been on the fence. I love my family very much (my parents and siblings), but my immediate family is my number one priority and I know that I need to be a happy person to be a happy mother, etc., and I curse the cold and mosquitoes and all the rain and gray days a lot here in NH. It would be so hard for me to leave because it is so beautiful and I love the land soooo much. I'm not sure if I could get used to another state being my "home". NC would be a culture shock... I wonder how long it would take me to feel like I'm "home". Anyone's opinion on this is greatly appreciated.
NHtoNC - My husband and I moved from NY to NH in April of 2006 - Our move was not as "drastic" (in terms of distance) as yours, but we also left parents and siblings, as well as children and grandchildren "behind" so to speak. I had my doubts about being in NH and when we first moved I still wasn't sure. Heck, I'm 54 and had never lived outside the area we came from

I decided to more or less practice what I preach - "Bloom where you're planted" It took awhile to get used to this area, heck I'm still getting used to it, but I love it. We stay in touch with our family still in NY - we visit them, they visit us, not as often as we'd like, but still, it was worth it. In my case, it was a bit harder, as my mom is in a nursing home and can't come to visit us, but we go to visit her, talk to her frequently, etc.

If NC is where your heart and "gut" are telling you is the place you will be happier and more content go for it. You can always move back to NH if you find that NC is not what you expected, or if you and your family are not as happy and content as you thought you'd be. Try renting for a year to see if it's all you thought it would be.

I was undecided when we first moved and frankly, I was scared to death and afraid I was making the biggest mistake of my life, but deep inside, this area "spoke to me" (I know that sounds corny, but it's a fact). I decided that if I didn't make the move, I'd always wonder if I did the right thing by staying in NY. If you and your hubby want to try NC, I say the best thing you can do is to do it - make an effort to learn "they ways" of NC and the people there, and if that's where you're meant to be, you'll know it fairly quickly if you "listen to your innards"

Best of luck in your decision!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,641 times
Thumbs up Hello Thekiwi!

HELLO THEKIWI!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!
I for one apreciate your help!
GOOD LUCK in school!

Take good care,
Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I live in Keene for most of the year as I'm a college student at Keene State College. Keene is a fun little town - I think you'll enjoy it.

Regarding the floods: Don't be too concerned. Yes, there was some damage done, but you just have to be smart about where to buy a house. The areas hit hard by the flood were the really low-lying areas and the areas along the rivers. Just do your research about the land you're buying on, and you'll be fine.

Also be advised: the areas closest to Main St/the downtown area are mostly college houses. Don't buy in that area for sure! There are plenty of nice neighborhoods around Keene that aren't lived in by a bunch of college kids.

Also, I wouldn't advise living TOO far out of Keene. In the wintertime, getting over the large hills outside of Keene will be difficult (and the surrounding towns aren't too good about plowing). If you do plan on living outside of Keene, make sure your car can handle getting up big hills with lots of snow on them!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 PM

NH to NC, I hear what you're saying... and I love Windchimes motto of "Bloom where you're planted"!! Speaking as someone who relocated 1200 miles away back in 1998, I missed New England every day (I lived in Mass at that time, and moved to St Louis MO). I cursed everything about MO, the heat, the UNBELIEVABLE thunderstorms, the threats of tornados, the hailstorms, the subdivisions. There were really ALOT of good and positive things about the area (reasonable housing!!! lots of FREE family oriented activities like St Louis zoo, art museum, science museum, community theme pools and much more) but I couldn't appreciate them for wanting to be back in New England. That greener grass thing, ya know? It would probably take you awhile to become acclimated to NC (we wondered why all those checkout people in supermarkets were so friendly! What was up with THAT??) I imagine that homes are WAY less $$ there than here (check REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale for prices in the area you're thinking of settling). Only you can make the choice that's right for you and your family

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtoNC? View Post

Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 AM

32 posts, read 131,722 times
This may be a little late, but I wanted to add my 2 cents about the floods.

The severe, houses-washed-down-the-road flooding in October '05 happened in Alstead. East Keene just sort of turned into a lake. In fact, I have pictures of my fiance walking around in it, along with half of our neighbors. The "flooding" the happened in Keene in March was pretty much a big puddle. Other areas had more problems, but Keene was fine.

Also, the flood in Keene was described as a 500 year flood, meaning it shouldn't be a problem again in this lifetime.

Keene is great town, don't let a few rumors steer you away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire