Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:48 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times

Advertisements

I know that NH does not have state income or sales taxes, but I'm curious, the state must get money from somewhere. Anytime I've been there, it always seems to be a well-maintained and well-run state. Infrastructure is not crumbling as it is here in Maine.

What do New Hampshire residents pay for taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,561 times
property taxes and tolls (of which many Mass. and Maine residents also contribute to).

Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM

257 posts, read 619,136 times
New Hampshire generally spends a lot less per ca pita than its neighbors, favoring private and local spending and investment over state. Overall, state and local taxes are some of the lowest in the country because most activities are taken care of at the local level, where people want things done cost effectively.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
NH property taxes are high...

Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
In addition to the aforementioned tolls and property taxes (which seem to go up every year...) many fees have also been created or raised these past few years. The cost to register your vehicles and fees for renewing and maintaining professional licenses have increased. The interest and dividends tax in New Hampshire was extended to include profits of LLC's, and the business profits tax filing threshold was changed. All businesses, regardless of their income level, are now required to file a return.

The cigarette tax increased to $1.78 from $1.33 per pack, and the excise tax on hotels and meals jumped from 8 percent to 9 percent, and the tax has been extended to campsites. A new 10 percent tax on gambling winnings was enacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
I know that NH does not have state income or sales taxes, but I'm curious, the state must get money from somewhere. Anytime I've been there, it always seems to be a well-maintained and well-run state. Infrastructure is not crumbling as it is here in Maine.

What do New Hampshire residents pay for taxes?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
oh, and one other tax that most of you don't encounter: if you rent a car at the airport, it has quite a tax on it - more than if you rent a car at a city location. This doesn't impact residents, but anyone flying up for business or visiting relatives (or house hunting...) will get hit with it.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Oh, and real estate transfer taxes. Highest in the nation at $15 per thousand and paid equally between Buyer and Seller unless negotiated otherwise...

Here's an in-depth look at New Hampshire fees, taxes, and the rest of the story:
http://www.jbartlett.org/files/pdf/N...ndFees2009.pdf

Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I suggest taking a taxi to the down town rent a car location. Most airports have a special car rental tax.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM

113 posts, read 245,176 times
I really hate state income taxes, but it seems to me a sales tax is better than property taxes. New Hampshire is making a mistake with high property taxes. Retired people should be able to live in their homes without having to pay property taxes every year, especially to pay for schools burdened to some extent by children of parents that are on welfare. In the old days there was a stigma to being 'on the dole' - we need to stop putting the ne'er do wells on a pedestal. Property taxes force the savers to pay for the irresponsible.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Vilmer, the property taxes aren't necessarily higher than anywhere else, and sometimes cheaper than other states! At least in NH, your taxes go mostly to your own town instead of being sucked up by the state and portioned anywhere they feel like raiding (or into their pocket)!

Speaking as a soon-to-be retired person, I'd love it if that category was exempt, but I honestly don't see why it should be. Retired people drive on the roads and need them maintained, plowed... Retired people often use a library or other town service. And if someone retires and then moves to NH (as I will be, though I did grow up there), they haven't paid they dues before hand!

Speaking also as one who has no children and therefore isn't terribly concerned with the schools... it would be great if we were exempt from paying the school fees. But I understand why we still pay them: it's all part of sharing the burden of society - you need to educate your young ('you' being the town's young, not necessarily yours personally), and if you have a better school with decent programs, your kids are less likely to become delinquent in other ways. It's a good thing. Plus, why should the parents then face an undo hardship of shouldering the entire burden - running a school is expensive!

I'd say in NH there still is a stigma for being on the dole: and NH has very little dole! There are very few social services to help those who need it (and be abused by some who like to live that way) - say, compared to VT??? I don't see how that much of your taxes are going towards that, the majority really stays in your own town. And the towns vary.. don't like your taxes? so move somewhere else, or work to change the selectmen who are spending your tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire