Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:57 PM

31 posts, read 66,653 times

Advertisements

By the way, yes I will be making several trips out to narrow down where I want to settle. Seen the area several times to get general ideas, subsequent ones will be to narrow down to specific towns and/or counties, and then neighborhoods. May even rent for a short while at first, and get a more of a real world feel for the specific town or neighborhood on where to settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:33 PM

264 posts, read 615,107 times
Hi Leavingcalbye,

My family too will be leaving the peoples republic of California for New Hampshire. I have 7 years and counting until the retirement date so traveling to and from New Hampshire several times a year has become the norm for my family.

We have become very familiar with the New Hampshire landscape and made several friends along the way. We just booked our 3rd winter trip and as usual will stay from the day after Christmas to mid January. We love the winters in NH.

Suggestions would be to travel as often as possible and discover as much about the state as you can while there. We have been in New Hampshire in the spring, fall and several winters now but our longest planned stay will be this summer as we plan to say for a month this time and do New Hampshire summer. Each time we come we learn a little more about the area and what it has to offer. Our choice for a home state is now confirmed and we consider our last 7 years in California only a temporary work assignment.

Good luck in your discovery. I think you'll find NH is everything Cali is not and just what your looking for.

Captjob

Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM

586 posts, read 1,502,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGCALBYE View Post
Thanks for the comment, WannaComeHome. You gotta remember, even the wildest, most congested, crazy parts of southern NH by your standards, are a serene vacation by my standards, where I come from and what I have to deal with daily. While the Seacoast and the Southern NH may be too urbanized, if you there is such a thing, it's light years from what I'm living in. Remember, NH's total state population is barely 1.3 million. I work in the Bay Area, popualtion, conservatively 6.5 million, 5 times the entire population of NH. I live near Sacrmento, population: nearly 2 million for the area.

Its all relative. The seacoast, and mildly populated NH areas are still quite quiet compared to our current home area.
Amen, brother. I grew up on Long Island and then spent 15 years in the DC metro area. The worst NH can throw at you is child's play compared to what I came from! If you can adjust well to small-town living you will LOVE IT here.

If I was going to move to the Seacoast I'd try Portsmouth if you want (relative) hustle-bustle and restaurants, etc. Smaller towns -- Durham, Newmarket, Dover, Madbury...you might check those out, too.

On the Lakes region -- *gorgeous* area. Drivable for a day trip to Boston but realistically, not for dinner (1.5-2 hours one-way depending where in the lakes region and where in Boston.)

On flying - MHT is a great little airport, and often cheaper than Logan. That said, Logan is much less painful than many other major airports that come to mind (e.g., Atlanta-Hartsfield, Newark, JFK, O'Hare, Miami)

Southern Maine coast may be worth looking at especially if you won't be working...NH of course has no income tax but Maine has lower property taxes so if you aren't really paying income tax anyway...

Good luck - Jackie

Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
Hi Leavingcalbye,

My family too will be leaving the peoples republic of California for New Hampshire. I have 7 years and counting until the retirement date so traveling to and from New Hampshire several times a year has become the norm for my family.

We have become very familiar with the New Hampshire landscape and made several friends along the way. We just booked our 3rd winter trip and as usual will stay from the day after Christmas to mid January. We love the winters in NH.

Suggestions would be to travel as often as possible and discover as much about the state as you can while there. We have been in New Hampshire in the spring, fall and several winters now but our longest planned stay will be this summer as we plan to say for a month this time and do New Hampshire summer. Each time we come we learn a little more about the area and what it has to offer. Our choice for a home state is now confirmed and we consider our last 7 years in California only a temporary work assignment.

Good luck in your discovery. I think you'll find NH is everything Cali is not and just what your looking for.

Captjob
Captjob,

Glad to hear there is someone out there from cal. that has similar ideas. I'd love to visit NH as often as you do, but I just can't swing it. I will be visiting more frequently and with longer stays, especially in the year prior to retirement. I've got a little over 4 years to go.

As you've probably read by now, I'm stongly considering the Seacoast/southern area. Where do you have in mind when you make the move? Also, where have you been staying when visiting?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
Amen, brother. I grew up on Long Island and then spent 15 years in the DC metro area. The worst NH can throw at you is child's play compared to what I came from! If you can adjust well to small-town living you will LOVE IT here.

If I was going to move to the Seacoast I'd try Portsmouth if you want (relative) hustle-bustle and restaurants, etc. Smaller towns -- Durham, Newmarket, Dover, Madbury...you might check those out, too.

On the Lakes region -- *gorgeous* area. Drivable for a day trip to Boston but realistically, not for dinner (1.5-2 hours one-way depending where in the lakes region and where in Boston.)

On flying - MHT is a great little airport, and often cheaper than Logan. That said, Logan is much less painful than many other major airports that come to mind (e.g., Atlanta-Hartsfield, Newark, JFK, O'Hare, Miami)

Southern Maine coast may be worth looking at especially if you won't be working...NH of course has no income tax but Maine has lower property taxes so if you aren't really paying income tax anyway...

Good luck - Jackie
Thanks Jackie,

Good info. Yes, not to be criticizing, but "childs play" is a good way put it. The mess out here, everywhere, everyday is just mindnumbing.

I'm definitely ready for the small town pace. They say cal. is so mellow and laid back. I don't see it. Everywhere you go, until you hit the Sierra's, is a mad house. It seems like everyone is out for themselves out here, all the good values have gone out the window. I've never experienced the amount and saturation of rudeness and selfishness anywhere else beyond the borders of cal. Looking forward to being your neighbor.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,603,637 times
I would like to retire to New Mexico to get out of the overcrowding in Southern NH. When I have to wait for a dozen cars in each direction to make a left turn onto a main road, I call that overcrowded. This has been happening in Londonderry for the last few years. As an example or reasonable population density consider that Socorro County, NM has an area equal to all of New Hampshire south of Plymouth but a total population around 18,000 and most of them are in the Town of Socorro.

Please consider that most the New Hampshire tax system is not, unless your income is not from wages, like retirement payments, based on income but on possessions. NH, in addition to very high property taxes, does have an "Unearned Income Tax". I suggest checking with a local tax accountant before finalizing your move.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

Hi Greg,

It really does depend on your perspective and what your used too. 12 cars waiting to enter a main street in my community would define a Sunday morning.

Just today I was sitting in traffic on the main road through my town and was amazed at the level of traffic. Our main road is three lanes in both directions and the average traffic backup is defined by degrees of miles. The average traffic light counts are 50 to 60 thousand cars per day. That's everyday.

By California standards I live in a small bedroom community. The population of my "community" is over 200,000. The population of my county alone is 2.1 million compared to the entire state of New Hampshire of 1.2 million and you can see it is a major change for us.

If leaving Taxifornia, any tax burden short of New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont etc. is still going to be huge decrease in total tax burden. California is literally off the charts with taxes and almost bankrupt to boot.
Good call on confirming numbers with a CPA in New Hampshire for total confirmation.

Some good friends of ours moved to New Mexico 2 years ago and love it. They purchased a small ranch with fruit trees galore and are very happy there. They also like the solitude etc. They would never come back to California. They don't even like to visit anymore....I don't blame them.

Captjob

Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGCALBYE View Post
Captjob,

Glad to hear there is someone out there from cal. that has similar ideas. I'd love to visit NH as often as you do, but I just can't swing it. I will be visiting more frequently and with longer stays, especially in the year prior to retirement. I've got a little over 4 years to go.

As you've probably read by now, I'm stongly considering the Seacoast/southern area. Where do you have in mind when you make the move? Also, where have you been staying when visiting?

We have spent most of our time in the White Mountain area. So far we are partial to the northern area; however remain open minded about the rest. We stay in Bartlett/North Conway during our winter trips and will spend this summer in the lakes region and travel around some more.

Still have plenty of time to narrow down our choices for a final "resting place" we may even move and rent for a year until we are sure we have considered all and make the right choice.

Captjob

Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,319,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
We have spent most of our time in the White Mountain area. So far we are partial to the northern area; however remain open minded about the rest. We stay in Bartlett/North Conway during our winter trips and will spend this summer in the lakes region and travel around some more.

Still have plenty of time to narrow down our choices for a final "resting place" we may even move and rent for a year until we are sure we have considered all and make the right choice.

Captjob
Other favorite areas of mine are the Newfound region, Sunapee region, and eastern Lakes Region- northeast of Wolfeboro.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,225,283 times
Exeter. I'll give you a great deal on a sprawling colonial. PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire