Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 9,328 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate in southern nh to a public school district / town that has a solid, well staffed special ed department for my young grandson who was recently dx with autism spectrum disorder. Especiallly interested in Exeter or Portsmouth areas but Londonderry is a possiblity as well.
Thanks for any and all ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM

15 posts, read 70,191 times
Hi... I have been researching this also for my 6 yr old son with Down Syndrome. I contacted Cheryl Jorgensen of UNH who runs their Institute for Disabilities. She knows a lot about inclusion and the spectrum. The towns to look at are Rye (small, coastal, pretty, high school goes to Portsmouth) , Amherst, Portsmouth (little harbor school). I heard York ME.... 10 min north of Portsmouth is good, too. Check out town budget issues before making decisions. Portsmouth is good... big budget cuts... not effecting elementary level sped. Ask about programs, options, class size, not ratio. These are good towns..... it depends what you like.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
what about the Greenfield area with Crotched Mountain?? Or Is it closed?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Amherst is an inclusion school system. I do not have any experience with special ed, but have heard good things...

Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 17,008 times
Many people move to Londonderry because of their excellent special ed program. The school district as a whole has a terrific reputation and it is a wonderful town to live in. Great accessibility to Boston, the seacoast, the mountains with a very family friendly environment. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
I live in Londonderry and have direct experience with the Special Education program(s) at the elementary and middle school level, and very soon, the high school level as well. You are welcome to send a DM with any questions. My neighbor has a child who currently attends the LEEP program (Londonderry's Moose Hill LEEP is the only Accredited Public SAU Early Education in New Hampshire).

"Londonderry School District’s LEEP program has earned accreditation from the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) – the nation’s leading organization of early childhood professionals. “We’re proud to have earned the mark of quality from NAEYC, and to be recognized for our commitment to reaching the highest professional standards,” said Lynn Slapsys, LEEP Program Director. “NAEYC Accreditation lets families in our community know that children in our program are getting the best care and early learning experiences possible.” more: http://www.londonderrynh.net/?p=9551

Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,242 times
Exeter used to be well respected, but they really have recently run into a few problems in terms of special ed, but all districts are bound to have some problems here and there. It might be worth checking out. Other places with good reputations in terms of special education are Londonderry, Bow, and Hopkinton.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,668 times
Default Windham

Anyone have any experience with the elementary SPED at windham nh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire