Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 01:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times

Advertisements

We're considering NH and leaning toward Littleton but we haven't come across many jobs. I would think there are more jobs are in the Concord area but we have a school aged child and I don't know if I want to send him to a 'city' school (again I realise it's not a city like a NY city school). Can someone give me more information on some safe suburban areas where we can live if we got jobs in Concord?
Also what are the traditional routes for hooking up jobs? Agencies? Try the paper? (info seems scarce on places in NH and so do the jobs).
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 03:03 PM

28 posts, read 132,093 times
Default Concord

The area you are looking at are more remote towns with not much of a job base, even Concord does not really have a huge business presence. But that all is relative to what you want and do for a living. What type of work are you looking for and I can give you a heads up on some areas. I live about 40 mins. southwest of Concord in a very rural area, but commutable to other larger cities.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 AM

157 posts, read 564,434 times
The Upper Valley area has a low unemployment rate. The Dartmouth College and hospital are 2 big employers around here with some high tech jobs too. They both post jobs on their sites. The Valley News is the local paper which has has listings. The area is growing but still a lot of country in the suburbs such as Enfield, Canaan, Grafton. Taxes are high, house prices are starting to drop with too many properties for sale. Good luck, NH is a beautiful state if you like 4 seasons (sometimes 3)!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,112 times
Default In the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22
We're considering NH and leaning toward Littleton but we haven't come across many jobs. I would think there are more jobs are in the Concord area but we have a school aged child and I don't know if I want to send him to a 'city' school (again I realise it's not a city like a NY city school). Can someone give me more information on some safe suburban areas where we can live if we got jobs in Concord?
Also what are the traditional routes for hooking up jobs? Agencies? Try the paper? (info seems scarce on places in NH and so do the jobs).
Thank you.
I am in the same boat and would love any info, news papers, home buying guides, web links that you all have.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMT
The area you are looking at are more remote towns with not much of a job base, even Concord does not really have a huge business presence. But that all is relative to what you want and do for a living. What type of work are you looking for and I can give you a heads up on some areas. I live about 40 mins. southwest of Concord in a very rural area, but commutable to other larger cities.

Is Concord a big city? I have read so many different things about it, but it seems like the best source would be from someone who lives in the area. I read that the crime rate there was almost non exsistent and that the town was pretty small. Is this really true?

Old 08-20-2006, 04:28 PM

104 posts, read 467,117 times
Concord is a fairly small city, about 43,000 people. We've lived within 20-40 minutes of Concord for many years and raised our family here. We love it because it is just the "right size" and yet still has plenty to offer. The surrounding towns are small or larger, depending on where you go. Each has it's own distinct personality. We currently live in Antrim, and absolutely love it here! It's about 35 min. from Concord or Keene (a great college city), and just the right size to have what you need yet small enough that you know everyone (almost!). Antrim has real old-fashioned charm. It is within an hour of all the major cities in NH, and Brattleboro, VT. It is 90 min. to Portsmouth, Boston or Springfield, MA. There is Mt. Monadnock nearby, two lakes for recreation, great schools, and a nice town park with gazebo and summer concerts by the brook. Like everyone we know, we never even lock our doors... My husband now commutes to Durham (seacoast area) every day, a 80-90 minute drive so we have to move soon to that side of the state, which will be new for us. I will really miss it here, and hope I like it in our new town.

Manchester and Nashua are much bigger cities, and have more jobs and large companies, but also more "big city" issues. House prices are higher there, yet within easy commute to these cities are still many nice little towns. I love New Hampshire because it still has an unspoiled way of life that hasn't changed too much compared to many other places (except in the cities, but even they are much safer than major cities). Southern NH is beginning to become much more ethnically diverse as many people of different origins are attracted to the low cost of living and peaceful way of life here.

You can get papers full of job listings by contacting the Dept. of Employment Security in Concord. Many jobs are also listed in the local papers. The major ones are The Concord Monitor, The Manchester Union Leader, The Keene Sentinel and the Nashua Telegraph. All have web sites which include classifieds.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Thanks for the info Earthangel!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:24 PM

104 posts, read 467,117 times
Other towns nearer to Concord are Hopkinton, Pembroke, Bow, Loudon, Chichester, Dunbarton, and Penacook. They all are nice, but some tend to be more "bedroom commuties" while others have a distinctly appealing small town feel. I percieve Bow, Penacook and Pembroke to be more in the "bedroom community" category, as they are quite spread out, have a lot of commercial/industrial zoning and seem to lack a distinctive town center and "town green". Boscawen is another nice area, but a little farther north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire