U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:17 PM

10 posts, read 18,393 times
Default Best Schools in Southern NH

Hi,
We have 3 children, 11, 7, 4 and need to relocate from Long Island, NY. From our many trips to southern NH central region I'm having a hard time narrowing down the better schools. From what I can tell there really isn't many bad schools. I already know I don't want to be in the city schools like manchester and nashua. But what about all the surrounding schools? Any advice will be helpful. We are making another trip this week and I am overwhelmed looking at the school reports that are posted online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM

27 posts, read 75,369 times
Best schools include: Hollis-Brookline, Hopkinton, Bedford, Bow, and Exeter.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 PM

I forgot Souhegan Regional (Amherst & Mont Vernon)

Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,887,359 times
yep, that's about right. But doesn't Londonderry figure in there too?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 PM

I haven't heard anything positive or negative about Londonderry, but NECAP test scores weren't all that great. I did forget three other really good school districts in three college towns--Dresden (Hanover), Oyster River (Durham, Lee, & Madbury), and Keene.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:01 AM

34 posts, read 64,445 times
The snob towns with small student populations can manipulate test scores. If your kids are smart, they don't need to hang around a bunch of spoiled brats from the prep school or college towns. Most of these snob schools are out in the woods in expensive neighborhoods, so if you can move from Long Island to anywhere in Southern New hampshire, more power to you. It will be expensive. NH has the highest property in the world when blended in with household income, so you will pay . Knocking the Manchester or Nashua schools strikes me as kind of shortsighted. Londonderry school system is one of the best in the country. Having your kids hang around spoiled preppies isn't my idea of an education, so be carefull . New Jersey would be luckey to have a Nashua or Manchester school system, so don't write them off. Are you really moving ?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,887,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Bush View Post
The snob towns with small student populations can manipulate test scores. If your kids are smart, they don't need to hang around a bunch of spoiled brats from the prep school or college towns. Most of these snob schools are out in the woods in expensive neighborhoods, so if you can move from Long Island to anywhere in Southern New hampshire, more power to you. It will be expensive. NH has the highest property in the world when blended in with household income, so you will pay . Knocking the Manchester or Nashua schools strikes me as kind of shortsighted. Londonderry school system is one of the best in the country. Having your kids hang around spoiled preppies isn't my idea of an education, so be carefull . New Jersey would be luckey to have a Nashua or Manchester school system, so don't write them off. Are you really moving ?

yes, it true that if you have good home support and a kid who's focused on learning, you don't necessarily require 'the best' school system - yet everyone seems to think they need it!

NH does not have the highest property tax in the world, many people from other places have found it's much lower than where they started from. It's all perspective.

How in the world can you consider towns in southern NH to be 'in the woods'? sounds a lot more like North Country description to me! Amherst? Hollis? Bedford?? Yes, Brookline is very woodsy, but Hollis isn't, and is right next to Nashua. Bedford is (by NH standards) fairly built up.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 AM

I would stay out of the woods. Lots of crime . Take for example the Mont Vernon murders. Bunch of high school students from the Souhehan Mont Vernon area murdered a housewife and cut the lig off her kid in a home invasion at Mont Vernon. Nice . Spoiled rich kids going to a good school. Go figure

Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 AM

even AOL ran a feature story which documented the high property taxes in the USA. New Jersey was number one. New Hampshire was number two. When household income figured in, New Hampshire residents spent more of a percentage on property taxes than NJ. So in effect, NH pays more out in property taxes than NJ. When household income is not figured in, NH is second in highest property taxes, go check it out. America has the highest property taxes in the world.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 AM

again, these snob towns have a lot of trouble. I remember up in Lebanon NH , home to a lot of snobs, Dartmouth types or wannabees. TWO squirts, punk kids who were part of the community up there in the woods, these two pin heads STABBED a professor and his wife after the twerps wereinvited into the prof's home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire