U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,601,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhplanner View Post
I would add one more thing to BF66389's list of factors contributing to our low crime rate--bad weather. People aren't as inclined to commit crimes when they first need to trudge through snow or go outside in a torrential downpour. The highest crime rates are in the sunny southwest and Florida in part because of the nice weather there nearly year round.
I've always said I think the heat drives people crazy. That's why ND was the 4th safest state - with our winters, you'd think it would be #1. They have a saying here "40 below keeps the riff raff out"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
Hmmm! You know, I don't think they ever filmed an episode of "Cops" in New Hampshire!
I did see a lot of episodes of "Cops" filmed in the Seattle/Tacoma area (where I lived for almost 6 years), which goes against the theory of heat contributing to crime. Perhaps it's the ever-present rain and drizzle that drove people crazy...

Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 AM

818 posts, read 1,753,235 times
Steve, I hope it's warmer than 40 below there today. My hubby's headed to your area to look at some work. He left from VT (lots of miles).

Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,776 times
What is the safest, cleanest, nicest and most affordable town in NH? My hubby and I are moving the NE and we need to find a nice place to live. We currently live in Ohio and the rents here are from 750 (for a pit) to 1200 for a really nice condo. What is the economy like and where are the most jobs? My hubby is an IT and I am a law student.

Also- which state is better for jobs and quality of life? Maine or NH?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Steve, I hope it's warmer than 40 below there today. My hubby's headed to your area to look at some work. He left from VT (lots of miles).
54 degrees. Nice, but we also had winds of 25 mph with gusts to 38. A little hard to enjoy the outdoors in gusts like that. Forget the Bakken oil formations that are being drilled right now, I'd put up wind turbines. I think I heard that ND has the country's best potential for wind energy. No trees to block the wind either.

Not suprised to hear about people looking for jobs here. In western ND, there was not and is not any recession. Nothing but growth. Lots of work here. If you can put up with flat, relatively treeless, windblown views of farmland with bone-chilling winters, ND is a great place!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 8,726,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulugirl84 View Post
What is the safest, cleanest, nicest and most affordable town in NH? My hubby and I are moving the NE and we need to find a nice place to live. We currently live in Ohio and the rents here are from 750 (for a pit) to 1200 for a really nice condo. What is the economy like and where are the most jobs? My hubby is an IT and I am a law student.
in general, for safe, clean, nice.. stick a pin in a map of NH, pretty much anywhere is like that. It's easier to ask what isn't (fewer responses). the economy is similar to everywhere else and is pretty tight, jobs are few and the farther north you go, the fewer you tend to find. IT work is usually best found in south-south/central: Manchester, Nashua, maybe Bedford.... and of course if necessary commutable to Mass.There are still very nice areas even in south-south/central in spite of it being more built up than the rest of the state.

Also- which state is better for jobs and quality of life? Maine or NH?[/quote]

well, as this is the NH forum... I suspect most of us are going to tell you Nh!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 AM

8,151 posts, read 20,469,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
New Hampshire is really on the map this week, first the Granite State of Mind song/video that took the Internet by storm, and today, New Hampshire was once again named The Safest State in the country. 3rd year in a row! I'm so proud to live and work here!

That our state is safe is no surprise to most of us, but I'd love to hear ideas on why YOU think New Hampshire is THE safest state in the nation...
Three of the primary reasons for NHs low crime are as follows:

1. Less populated state.
2. The population of the state is comprised of an older generation and/or people moving to the state to retire or 'escape the crime elsewhere'.
3. NH loses a large portion of its young who move out of state to larger cities.

Also, do not confuse safest state with no crime. Just because there is not a drive-by shooting every evening does not mean that it is Mayberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
I have to agree with all of the above reasons.

I'll also add it is my belief the lack of restrictive firearms legislation and open carry helps keep the crime rate down. Criminals are less likely to commit a robbery or burgulary when they know they have a good chance of being shot.
They have a good chance of being shot? This would only be the case if everyone concealed and carried, and most do not.

Not to mention that it would only deter petty criminals and minor crime. Hardcore criminals, the insane, the desperate, and criminals who are armed themselves wouldn't think twice. It is a gamble they are willing to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thats awesome Val! We are aiming to be there by next summer. And my state- Nevada- Las Vegas, ranks the worst! lol. Why? Because of all these Illegal aliens and their street gangs! Sad!
Yeah, LV has problems because of all of the illegals and street gangs? For one, LVs gangs have been around for a long time -don't forget that LV was practically founded by organized crime- and the majority of street gangs are comprised of people who were born in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I've always said I think the heat drives people crazy. That's why ND was the 4th safest state - with our winters, you'd think it would be #1. They have a saying here "40 below keeps the riff raff out"
I dunno, I lived in Minneapolis for ten years and crime definitely slows waaaaaaay down over the winter, but if this were true, then Chicago, Detroit, South Bend, etc., etc. would have a lower crime rate.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 AM

1,903 posts, read 5,441,899 times
Your 100% wrong on the gang issue in Las Vegas. Trust me , when the mob had control of this town you did not have to worry at all. The mob is over-hyped by the lame liberal media. The mob may have killed one another-who cares? But the Illegal gangs are on the rise. My family are on the force, they tell me the true facts on these wicked Mexican gangs. Coming from NY, I also know that when they kicked the mob/mafia out of my old NY neighborhood things got worse, much worse. Either way the illegals are horrible. They are getting away with breaking the law. I have been in Vegas since 1996. From then to now neighborhoods that were once awesome are now deadly to drive through if your the wrong color. So the majority of the deadly gangs in Vegas are Illegals for sure. I'm here, so i'm correct on that, plus like i said i have many relatives working on the illegal situation right here in Vegas. Warning to NH- fight the illegals- why allow them in? Give me a solid reason.

Yeah, LV has problems because of all of the illegals and street gangs? For one, LVs gangs have been around for a long time -don't forget that LV was practically founded by organized crime- and the majority of street gangs are comprised of people who were born in this country.

I dunno, I lived in Minneapolis for ten years and crime definitely slows waaaaaaay down over the winter, but if this were true, then Chicago, Detroit, South Bend, etc., etc. would have a lower crime rate.[/quote]

Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 AM

8,151 posts, read 20,469,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Your 100% wrong on the gang issue in Las Vegas. Trust me , when the mob had control of this town you did not have to worry at all. The mob is over-hyped by the lame liberal media. The mob may have killed one another-who cares? But the Illegal gangs are on the rise. My family are on the force, they tell me the true facts on these wicked Mexican gangs. Coming from NY, I also know that when they kicked the mob/mafia out of my old NY neighborhood things got worse, much worse. Either way the illegals are horrible. They are getting away with breaking the law. I have been in Vegas since 1996. From then to now neighborhoods that were once awesome are now deadly to drive through if your the wrong color. So the majority of the deadly gangs in Vegas are Illegals for sure. I'm here, so i'm correct on that, plus like i said i have many relatives working on the illegal situation right here in Vegas. Warning to NH- fight the illegals- why allow them in? Give me a solid reason.
Paranoid ramblings that have nothing to do with this thread.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM

1,903 posts, read 5,441,899 times
I agree 100%. Just filling the others in on the facts. I stated them. Illegals will destroy your city/State don't fear them As Kev understands " Fight Them"! At least we are all on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Paranoid ramblings that have nothing to do with this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire