Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times

Advertisements

I disagree - Positiveone's post is not paranoid nor is it rambling. Illegals and gangs are directly related to public safety and are valid discussion in this thread. It is naive to believe that illegals and gangs are not a threat to safety and the quality of life we enjoy in NH. Try living among such a population for awhile. You will change your tune quickly.

Positiveone - same thing happened to our old neighborhood, and it only took a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 04:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
In southern NH i see graffiti on bridges, but have no idea if it is gang related or not. Nothing like that is in the sticks, so if it is gang related it is a city thing.

Rural areas are fairly safe, no place is perfect. Very rural areas are another thing though. There is such a thing here still as a bit too rural, and bad boys get the idea it's the old west.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
You go way up north and to be blunt......there's no a lot of law. Some towns are run by several local families. Mac is right on target about the very remote, rural areas. Yes NH is safe, but it's not anything like it was even 12-15 years ago. Times change

Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Yes NH is safe, but it's not anything like it was even 12-15 years ago. Times change
Yes, I agree

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
Growing up here in the hills of small town NH we never locked our doors. I'm not even sure that we had keys to the doors. I generally threw my car keys on the floor mat (so one of the little kids couldn't turn the key) I would lose them if I took them out of the truck (the keys not the kids). A home invasion was when to many friends and family showed up at the same time.

Now we are like Ft Knox around here. We have two watch dogs outside and one inside. We keep a flock of geese that are louder and often more intimidating the then dogs. We open carry almost always on the farm (though we've always done that) My 3 oldest kids are marksmen and know how to handle firearms.

I had the pleasure of working with the head of the auto theft division here in NH after he retired. He often told me of the stories of different stake outs and under cover work he did. He also told me if it wasn't for Massachusetts we would not need an auto theft division.

Our philosophy is to make a strong defense now as we are here to stay like the 6 generation behind us. Thankfully, I live with like minded neighbors and any bad people would be foolish and indeed unlucky to mess with us.

I can't speak much about south of Concord, but my NH is still a pretty safe place to live.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 AM

I had to laugh bignhfamily cause I have friends who never locked their home up until about 10 years ago......lol, they had no keys even though there was a lock on the door Still....it's great up here north of Concord so I don't want to scare folks.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM

lisa g it's difficult for people who did not live in NH 25 or 30 years ago to understand just how crime-free we used to be. What's happened in Manchester is just unreal to me. It's like night & day from even 15 years ago.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
My son will be 30 with in days, and is Bartlett raised. To me crime came to NH when he was around 4. Before that crime was fist fighting, stealing a car to joy ride, and not wrecking the car, assorted moving violations, some OUI's, but it was legal to drink and drive back then, you just couldn't be drunk. Then and before then anyone out plowing driveways always had a beer going, tips were more beers, but no one was drunk. A few minor incidents up on the Kanc

We used CB radios if we got stuck and who ever was handy came and pulled us out.

One of the first shockers I had as a crime to look on back then was when a Conway officer issuing a OUI and Speeding ticket to someone, the cop was caught up in the window on purpose asnd dragged. If that wasn't shocking enough the OUI operator was a chief of police from Boston!

I didn't own any weapons at all for self defence back then. I didn't see any need untill my time came, you know stuff that happens to other people. That has changed.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:28 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,901 times
"Now we are like Ft Knox around here. We have two watch dogs outside and one inside. We keep a flock of geese that are louder and often more intimidating the then dogs. We open carry almost always on the farm (though we've always done that) My 3 oldest kids are marksmen and know how to handle firearms."

You're either
A) Running a marijuana 'farm'
B) David Koresh
C) Hiding from the black helicopters
D) Lying

Vote Now!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
"Now we are like Ft Knox around here. We have two watch dogs outside and one inside. We keep a flock of geese that are louder and often more intimidating the then dogs. We open carry almost always on the farm (though we've always done that) My 3 oldest kids are marksmen and know how to handle firearms."

You're either
A) Running a marijuana 'farm'
B) David Koresh
C) Hiding from the black helicopters
D) Lying

Vote Now!

I vote D. I think that a few posters like to make NH sound like some Disneyworld for rednecks which it isn't. They don't act like this in public they just like to pretend they are super tough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire