Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,760,437 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what towns have the lowest property taxes. You can't determine that by the mill rate, or the assessed values... because those numbers can be massaged. A town with a low mill rate could have high assessed values to make up for it, and a town with low assessed values could have a high mill rate. Also, the assessed values might be completely out of step with the prices for which the properties could be sold.

So please tell me:

1) the square footage of your house (if you have a house on your land)
2) how much land you have
3) approximately how much your property is worth
4) what town you live in, and in what county that town is located
5) how much you paid last year in property taxes (total)
6) anything else that might help me understand why that number is what it is (for example, "my town doesn't provide a lot of services and our snow plowing tends to be slow, so we have low property taxes") or how that number stacks up against taxes on similar properties in other towns

I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM

18 posts, read 36,792 times
Look into any town that has lots of open space and no kids... or strictly seasonal residents if you want low taxes. Stoddard has very low taxes compared to many towns... but there is really isn't much there.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM

686 posts, read 1,762,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
So please tell me:

1) the square footage of your house (if you have a house on your land)
2) how much land you have
3) approximately how much your property is worth
4) what town you live in, and in what county that town is located
5) how much you paid last year in property taxes (total)
6) anything else that might help me understand why that number is what it is (for example, "my town doesn't provide a lot of services and our snow plowing tends to be slow, so we have low property taxes") or how that number stacks up against taxes on similar properties in other towns
This will be great information to have and it begs a shared spreadsheet online. I don't know if City Data has that feature. If it doesn't, I don't know if it permits linking to something like Google Docs, and then I don't know if people can create/edit the spreadsheet without losing too much privacy.

I know, too many IFs and BUTs

Old 08-22-2012, 05:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,998,173 times
you can also browse around the towns on nneren.com and see what they paid last year in taxes. Many of them list that. I would suggest looking at the tax rate by town chart and if you find a town or two that catch your eye, then look on nneren.com to see what's available and what it has to say for taxes. that can give you a bigger sampling than here.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by over40 View Post
Look into any town that has lots of open space and no kids... or strictly seasonal residents if you want low taxes. Stoddard has very low taxes compared to many towns... but there is really isn't much there.

Any vacation town town where there is property to tax but no kids in the school system will have lower taxes.

Im in Amherst
$225k or so value ( town likes to think its a lot more)
1800+ sq ft
6.3 acres
$6500 taxes

Old 08-23-2012, 05:11 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,603,637 times
I live in Londonderry. The town provides excellent schools for my neighbors kids, very good library, keeps the roads in fair condition, has good police and fire departments and arranges for garbage pickup.

Condo worth about 100 k
Cars worth about 3k (on the high side)
Motorcycles worth about 5 k

Total Taxes about 3k including Veteran's exemption.

I also pay a similar amount in condo fees. These cover all outside maintenance on the building and grounds. It also includes water supply and waste disposal using septic systems. This is why we are relatively low density. We have 150 town house condos in 20 buildings of approx 1200 ft sq on 65 acres of land that is about 35 acres of lawn as well as woods and fishing ponds. I also consider the condo fee a good deal as lawn care, painting, roofing and snow removal of a detached house would probably cost a lot more.

I do not feel I am over taxed even if I do not directly benefit from the excellent schools. I believe paying for excellent schools is part of my duty, as was serving in the Navy, as a citizen. I also feel my Duty to pay Federal Taxes has been abused by my government with their thoughtless support of the military profiteers and foreign wars.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,002,360 times
Nashua
2200 sqft, 0.3 acres, $300K value, $6200 taxes.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM

299 posts, read 254,817 times
Londonderry
2,500 sq feet, 1.0 acres, ~ $360k assessed, $7,800 in taxes.

Greg, don't mean to nitpick, but you do benefit from the excellent schools - they increase the resale value of your condo. I'm sure the increase is not equal to the taxes you're paying but it does help.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:13 AM

477 posts, read 897,141 times
Bristol.
1,500 square feet.
2.3 acres.
$175K assessed
$3,200 taxes

Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 21,438 times
Exeter,

1500 square feet, .10 (small town lot), 225K assessment, taxes are $5100.00

Towns in my area that have low taxes are Seabrook, Rye and Greenland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire