Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,183 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

Could anybody give me a breakdown of the positives & negatives of Deerfield New Hampshire in Rockingham County?

How are the schools?

Crime Rate?

Property Taxes?

How far to Concord and Manchester?

Would you say its a good , safe place to raise a family?

Any info helps!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,333 times
I'll be first. Can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I can offer.

Deerfield is a small town about 30 minutes to Manchester and 20 minutes to Concord via 2 lane roads. Real estate is affordable and is safe place to raise a family.

But don't let distance fool you. Unless you come here you can't really get a feel for whether Deerfield or any town is located where you want to be.

For example, if you're gonna work in Concord and don't mind being 20 minutes from stores etc, then Deerfield is probably fine. If you work in Mass or like going to the seacoast on weekends, it's kind of a haul.

Deerfield is in the middle of nowhere 30 minutes from the city. If that makes any sense.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
the taxes are high compared to similar homes in surrounding towns. I think it's because they are assessed at a higher value, because the rate is only $20/1000. It's a small town with small town quirks - the population hovers around 4K.

the roads are typical country roads, barely maintained and rough to travel. There are still quite a few dirt roads.

Every summer, the Farmer's Market opens from June until the Deerfield Fair. This year it's located in the Arts & Crafts building at the fairgrounds. It saves a bit of time in grocery shopping because the nearest supermarket is at least a 1/2 hour drive - whether you choose Hooksett or Raymond to shop.

The parking area for the Deerfield fair grounds was built on the old town landfill. Something to think about, if purchasing a home in the area is to remember, back in the '60's and prior, landfill and ground water contamination was not discussed.

There is no high school, so students are transported to Coe-Brown in Northwood, or Central HS in Manchester. There is no football team, but there is youth flag football. 4-H and Scouts are still popular clubs.

Pleasant Pond is a nice swimming area that is limited to Deerfield residents. You have to show proof of residency to get past the gate.

There is no public water or sewer system. Everything is private.

There are no factories or places that offer employment, so it's mostly a bedroom community for people that work and travel out of town. It's very pretty, with multiple farms and horse properties, large, antique homes, open fields and wooded areas.

The downtown area (tongue in cheek) has been dressed up in the past 30 years with a gazebo for gatherings. The old George B. White school is now the town offices and a new school was built on the other side of town. K-8 grades. There is a coffee shop/bar also in the vicinity as well as pizza shops.

It's not totally isolated, but definitely rural.

Edited to add that there were some areas that experienced repeated problems with flooding - a branch of the Lamprey River flows through Deerfield. One road, (that I know of) is still closed to traffic....there may be others.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
I lived in Deerfield for 10 years and really liked it. I didnt have any kids in school when i lived there but had friends who did.They didn't seem to have any complaints. I knew a lot of people who lived there all their lives and they grew up fine. I would say crime is pretty much non existant, at least it was when i was there. Taxes were probablly a little higher than some other areas but it was well worth it for me. I believe it's one of the better locations in the state.Your 45 minutes to the ocean,your 45 minutes to the lakes regeion, a little over a hour up to the mountains. I suppose where some people come from it would be considered rural but your actually close enough to anything you would need.I would consider Deerfield an extremly safe place to raise kids. Pleasant Lake in town has a town beach and last i knew had the second cleanest water in the state. Overall it's a pretty nice place.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
Pleasant Pond is a lake now? LOL things HAVE changed.....

Pleasant Pond Deerfield, NH

Old 04-29-2010, 04:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
N.H. Fish & Game has always classified it as a 485 acre Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire