Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM

9 posts, read 16,954 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am currently considering a job transfer from Charlotte, NC to Londonderry. I would like to to be near a city that offers culture, but is also close to the outdoors. I am an avid hiker, mtn biker, and photographer. Is it feasible to live on 45k for a single person? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganlak View Post
Hi all, I am currently considering a job transfer from Charlotte, NC to Londonderry. I would like to to be near a city that offers culture, but is also close to the outdoors. I am an avid hiker, mtn biker, and photographer. Is it feasible to live on 45k for a single person? Any help is appreciated.
Well of NH is the outdoors (most of it). As for affordability remember that NC has a 7% income tax (which is pretty high) and sales tax of around 6.75%-7% depending on area. NH has neither one. That's a pretty big deal.
We do have higher property taxes if you own a house but if you (as a single person) could care less about schools, etc- you could buy somewhere with low taxes (not that high taxes always mean good schools, of course- but you'd have more selection at lower costs if schools don't matter).
The nice thing is that while Londonderry is commutable to Boston (and hence pricey in itself) the areas commutable to Londonderry may be much more affordable.
As for city, Boston isn't far away, Portsmouth is a tiny coastal city that's great, Manchester is nice, Concord is nice, Nashua is nice (but reminds me more of a big town- so I don't call it a city).
There really is a lot here.

I will say one big difference vs the area around Charlotte is that while "the Christian Faith" is pretty big around Charlotte and inter-twined with who gets elected or not; here its more of a "live and let live" culture. IE- there are plenty of Christians and whatnot; but religion isn't the basis of group political decisions, etc... People here also seem (initially) less nice to your face...but also talk less behind your back (if someone hates you, they'll let you know it, as opposed to being all polite and then stirring trouble). That said- once you meet people- people are really great/helpful/trustworthy in general.
I know Charlotte (the city) is really different from the surrounding areas (which I describe more above than Charlotte itself); but just wanted to put that out there. Big switch- for better or worse depending on your views.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
If I were you I would take that transfer in a second. If the job is in Londonderry there are some less expensive places to live to the east of town. Everything else is within an hour.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 16,954 times
It seems that the highest concentration of rentals in the area are in Manchester. Does Manchester have direct access to trails for hiking or biking? From what I have read, Manchester seems like a good fit for me with the city-life and proximity to Londonderry.

The point about Charlotte's Christian Faith is not something that would affect my decision. I would be happy to live in a more conservative place, which thrives on independence.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:27 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
Manchester DOES have access to bike/hike trails. Lake Massabesic (Manchester's drinking water) has lots of marked and maintained trails that are very nice.

There is also the Tower Hill Pond loop.
Tower Hill Pond Loop | Manchester New Hampshire Mountain Bike Trails | Trails.com

if you're looking for an all-day ride/hike - consider the Newfields- Manchester rail trail. Of course, you'd be going from North Manchester TO Newfields.
Newfields-to-Manchester Rail-Trail | Manchester New Hampshire Mountain Bike Trails | Trails.com

I was told once, that riding the old railroad beds will take you all the way from Manchester to the White Mountains. I've never done it myself, by I know people that claim to have done the trip by snowmachine.

If you don't mind traveling a LITTLE bit, consider Bear Brook State Park in Allenstown or Pawtuckaway State Park in the Deerfield/Nottingham area. You won't be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire