U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM

371 posts, read 668,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
good thing I know what I 'm talking about. I have family that lives in MA. We have basically the same house. My property taxes are $5K....my fIL's is $2.5K...( note that I live in northern NH - the same house in Derry would cost roughly $7K in annual property taxes).

His income tax is 5%. He is retired, so his state income tax runs around $2.5K. Therefore, the conclusion is that his state income tax is 1/2 the average property tax bill in NH. I stand by what I said earlier.
Never said every example was the same. In the end, what do I care. The more people that stay in Massachusetts the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM

369 posts, read 548,122 times
When one looks at "The Big Picture" of all the costs associated with living in NH compared to Massachusetts or New York everything pretty much evens out. Throw in less nannyism by the state and what I have found to be a higher degree of civic pride and moving here becomes a no-brainer.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,315,123 times
"Throw in less nannyism by the stat"

if only that were true - we are protected by a governor that always votes opposite of the people's choice, for our own good, of course.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM

247 posts, read 334,071 times
The cost of property taxes is all relative. The property taxes here are higher than they were in northern Colorado, where we lived before moving here, but significantly lower than Long Island, where my brother-in-law lives. He's paying $13K a year for a tiny house with no yard. We have a decent-sized house on 1.3 acres and we pay $5K. In Colorado, we had a fairly big house with practically no yard and paid $2,800.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM

369 posts, read 548,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
"Throw in less nannyism by the stat"

if only that were true - we are protected by a governor that always votes opposite of the people's choice, for our own good, of course.
I grew up in New York and spent 19 years living in Massachusetts, believe me its better here.

Don't forget to vote in November !

Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM

24 posts, read 32,542 times
I lived in NH for 8 years and would love to move back, but can't afford to. My old house in Lebanon is for sale and the property taxes when I lived there were around $5K--now they're $11K per year. I'm a single mom, teacher, and it would take 1/2 my salary just to pay the property taxes. :-(

Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 PM

11 posts, read 39,151 times
We are in Epping and pay about $7,000 in property taxes for our house on 1.25 acres. It is high, but we don't pay income tax so that helps. I think it about evens out comparing if we lived/worked in MA.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,014,202 times
At least we have local control here - you can go to your town's board/committee meetings throughout the year or watch them on tv. You absolutely should take advantage of the ability to attend your annual town meeting and school board meeting and VOTE on issues directly affecting your taxes.

Pay attention, educate yourself and VOTE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire