Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 AM

744 posts, read 811,852 times

Advertisements

My family tells me they are really high in NH(prop taxes), is this true or false? Are they much higher than central Massachusetts or massachusetts as a whole for example? That is where I live now, when I decide to buy I wish i could move to An area of NH bordering MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Taxes are high in NH, just do a search in NH "Search this Thread" on the upper right hand section for 'taxes' (no quotes) and it'll bring up lots of posts about taxes (property and more).

Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Relative to our neighbors our property taxes are quite high but we do not have any sales or income tax (except on lottery winners). If you are making a lot of money, say over 200k/yr, NH is great. If you are making 50K/yr or less then any of the surrounding states are better deals taxwise.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 AM

680 posts, read 2,440,407 times
The overall tax burden here is one of the lowest in the country. People here call MA "Taxachusetts" for a reason. Some towns, typically the ones with high-performing schools, lots of subsidized rec activities, etc have high property taxes, others don't and offer less services. They need to charge SOME taxes and property tax has to be higher than it would be in MA because residents here don't pay income or sales tax, and someone has to pay the police, the snow plow, etc.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,803 times
NH property taxes are high, but there is no income tax, no sales tax and many other fees are lower.

Also, property taxes vary by town. and there are some towns with super low taxes like Newington for example.

My suggestion is to pick the area you want to live and then check the tax rates of the towns in that vicinity.

Also, keep in mind the bigger the house the bigger the tax bill - so an average 2000 sqft - 3000 sqft house will never be completely out of control, even in the higher tax towns.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
spend a little time on the computer with a map. Go to Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS and click on the names of border towns in the section of state you might be interested in, and then look at various listings and see what the taxes are like. Or, you can simply go to the tax index (http://www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/municipalservices.htm - broken link) and see what the rates are for the different towns. Some towns are higher, some towns are lower, a lot depends on the location. Border towns are higher than towns up north.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,955 times
NH has the 3rd or 4th lowest tax burden in the United States.

The whole "HIGH TAXES!" b.s. was started by the commies to our south since they were losing tax payers by the thousands to NH because their taxes, laws, crime, and bans are out of control.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
NH property taxes are almost double MA property taxes. However, when considering sales tax and state income tax in MA, it breaks even. We are all paying about the same.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
NH property taxes are almost double MA property taxes. However, when considering sales tax and state income tax in MA, it breaks even. We are all paying about the same.
Not even close. If you live in Mass you're income tax alone is probably already double the average property tax bill in NH

Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
good thing I know what I 'm talking about. I have family that lives in MA. We have basically the same house. My property taxes are $5K....my fIL's is $2.5K...( note that I live in northern NH - the same house in Derry would cost roughly $7K in annual property taxes).

His income tax is 5%. He is retired, so his state income tax runs around $2.5K. Therefore, the conclusion is that his state income tax is 1/2 the average property tax bill in NH. I stand by what I said earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire