U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:31 PM

552 posts, read 726,182 times
FWIW, Concord NH recieved 51.8" of snowfall, which is around 12" under the avg of 63.8". Also, March and April there was no measurable snowfall. Had there been the average Mar/Apr snowfall, the annual total would have actually been above average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 PM

Also, MT. Washington is fairly close to average ( roughly 240" Nov-May), seasonal avg is 260". So anyone saying NNE recieved 50% of snowfall is not entirely true. Still looking for stations that were not close to average.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:44 AM

According to the NWS, Concords long-term running avg is less than 62", although my sources have it at 63..8...

From GYX
SINCE OCTOBER...CONCORD
HAS RECORDED 51.8 INCHES OF SNOW WHICH IS NEARLY TEN INCHES
/9.7 INCHES/ BELOW NORMAL.

Which is only roughly 20% below normal.

Burlington, VT this past winter was actually above normal

Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM

15,128 posts, read 20,421,456 times
^
The average winter temperature was quite a bit ABOVE average. In fact, the warmers have been trending milder as the sugaring season is now much different than earlier in the 20th century. The season starts earlier and ends earlier. Invasive species are becoming an enromous problem in areas of NH due to the fact that the climate is getting warmer and wetter.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM

238 posts, read 320,684 times
Still cant wait to move there! I still love NH winters.

Captjob

Old 05-29-2010, 06:10 PM

15,128 posts, read 20,421,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
Still cant wait to move there! I still love NH winters.

Captjob
If you want an old-fashioned NH winter go north of the notches. My favorite area in that region is around Lancaster and Jefferson. Views of Waumbeck, Cabot, Franconia. Fantastic area and the property taxes are coming down. Littleton and Lancaster have all the basic services. No malls. One can order online anyway.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 PM

238 posts, read 320,684 times
Yup, we spent two weeks in Bartlett this January and missed the "big" snow storm that came through the Mt. Washington valley that week. Literally people were flooding the stores in N. Conway to get provisions and after 2 days all we had was 3" of new snow.

Just the other side of Crawford Notch that area was hit hard and was a complete white out. The entire trip this year was much warmer than the last and the snow fall much less. I think it averaged around 28 degrees everyday and we had very little new snowfall.

Still, compared to SoCal it was heaven to us.

Captjob

Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 AM

232 posts, read 310,385 times
Personally I think winter in NH is more manageable than winter in other places. People here get that it gets cold in NH and snows in the winter. We plan for it. My boss cuts us a break when we have to make weather-related arrangements....one of the few times of the year he does...LOL.

At risk of over-generalizing...I think the buildings tend to be better insulated. I have found that winters up here are a lot more tolerable than plenty of places in MA or CT with less snow and not quite as cold winters because there are fewer places that are drafty and cold. Many builders took the winter in to account as well. I have a corner unit where I am living, yet the corner room only has one window instead of two (one on each outside wall).

The plows set out straight away when there are signs of bad weather. Most of the people up here know how to drive in the yucky stuff...unlike other places that don't seem to know what to do when the snow falls.

There is a lots and lots and lots to do when it snows. Even if you don't know how to ski...simply strapping on a pair of snowshoes makes a simple walk around the neighborhood feel like an adventure.

The snow in April and the like doesn't stick around. I went hiking up in the White Mountains when snow started falling. I came back from my hike a bit early and drove down the Kancamagus Highway...it was almost like leaf-peeping season, so many of us were out looking at the snow.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 AM

8 posts, read 10,532 times
The last few winters in NH were pretty mild...none of tht 35 below zero stuff that happens now and then...the concern should be the possibility of $7 per gallon heating oil if that spill in the Gulf isn't resolved soon...it's not hard to burn thru a lot of money real fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
Yup, we spent two weeks in Bartlett this January and missed the "big" snow storm that came through the Mt. Washington valley that week. Literally people were flooding the stores in N. Conway to get provisions and after 2 days all we had was 3" of new snow.

Just the other side of Crawford Notch that area was hit hard and was a complete white out. The entire trip this year was much warmer than the last and the snow fall much less. I think it averaged around 28 degrees everyday and we had very little new snowfall.

Still, compared to SoCal it was heaven to us.

Captjob

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,793,279 times
Really depends on what part of the state you settle. Here in the seacoast area, I find the winters not that much different than northern NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire