Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 25,991 times

Advertisements

It is December now, so I don't know if you've chosen a place yet, but I love NH. I've lived there my entire life and it is beautiful, but I am from a more rural town. I don't think it is boring, especially if you are looking for a relaxing place. As far as the interracial marriage, only the very rural places will give you a hard time about that. Portsmouth, NH is very artsy and very liberal. It is somewhat yuppie-ish though, but it is a small city and still has a town feel to it and it is on the water. There are some great restaurants and bars there and a lot of crafty art shops. You definately don't have to worry about crime either.

A lot of people put down Maine, but I think it is beautiful too and similar to NH. Portland, ME is a lot like Portsmouth, but bigger. It is artsy and liberal and on the water. Both places have nice winters and mild summers and both places suport the arts. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 36,608 times
Default Well...

Depends on how much you want to spend. NH is VERY conservative as a whole. It's the bible belt in the middle of New England. The only town that I would recommend is Portsmouth (fairly expensive).If you don't have experience living in the sticks, I would not recommend any other towns in NH. Yeah, Bethlehem NH is cool, but it's seasonal. For what you describe, you will feel more at home in VT. The Berkshires in MA are also very attractive and have a vibrant arts community (NY arts go rustic)...it is rural, but feels landlocked. Far from the ocean, as is Vermont. Rockport, MA is a nice little arty town, very touristy, and expensive. I am not sure how "arty" you want it. It's hard to find the combo of art and rural.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Talking NH is Awsome to live and work and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleneclare View Post
Depends on how much you want to spend. NH is VERY conservative as a whole. It's the bible belt in the middle of New England. The only town that I would recommend is Portsmouth (fairly expensive).If you don't have experience living in the sticks, I would not recommend any other towns in NH. Yeah, Bethlehem NH is cool, but it's seasonal. For what you describe, you will feel more at home in VT. The Berkshires in MA are also very attractive and have a vibrant arts community (NY arts go rustic)...it is rural, but feels landlocked. Far from the ocean, as is Vermont. Rockport, MA is a nice little arty town, very touristy, and expensive. I am not sure how "arty" you want it. It's hard to find the combo of art and rural.
We are far from the bible belt. Read the other post in NH and you will see this. You can Make your own mind up. NH is not all sticks either. Bethlahem is not just seasonal either. This poster needs to do something besides trash NH. Littleton and Lebanon and Manchester, and Concord, And Conway, The list goes on and on of wonderful places to live here. Check out the other post in NH and you will see we take great pride in our state and we are not anywhere near The bible belt Mentality. Good luck. Oh there are alot of Libertarians and that is how the State votes even if they are registered under something diff to vote. The views speak for themselves. Again good luck.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:43 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
motherof1,

I read your post about CT and how you feel that "outsider" feeling. Could you please tell me a little more about your experience? I am very seriously considering moving to CT, but I have to admit that I would like to make friends. I don't want to live in a place where I won't have any friends. I couldn't exactly call that home. Anyway, I also noticed that you moved from NH. Why did you move? I ask this because NH is another place I am thinking of moving to. I just can't see myself calling any other place home. I have to get back to the north east. LOL. Thankyou for sharing with me and I hope you have a great New Year.

Becca (That's my real name)

Old 01-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
We are far from the bible belt. Read the other post in NH and you will see this. You can Make your own mind up. NH is not all sticks either. Bethlahem is not just seasonal either. This poster needs to do something besides trash NH. Littleton and Lebanon and Manchester, and Concord, And Conway, The list goes on and on of wonderful places to live here. Check out the other post in NH and you will see we take great pride in our state and we are not anywhere near The bible belt Mentality. Good luck. Oh there are alot of Libertarians and that is how the State votes even if they are registered under something diff to vote. The views speak for themselves. Again good luck.
You say this, but yet just about everyone in this thread told me to go somewhere else when I asked about NH. I never asked for a liberal (or conservative for that matter) place, but yet I am told to go where things are more liberal. Why is that? Arer there no lovers of the arts in NH? Isn't there lots of snow, beaches and other things I asked for in this state? Just wondering...

Last edited by sevdie; 01-06-2007 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-06-2007, 10:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
You say this, but yet just about everyone in this thread told me to go somewhere else when I asked about NH. I never asked for a liberal (or conservative for that matter) place, but yet I am told to go where things are more liberal. Why is that? Arer there no lovers of the arts in NH? Isn't there lots of snow, beaches and other things I asked for in this state? Just wondering...
I noticed that they all are saying you would like a more liberal place. Thinking because you like the arts you must be a liberal that's simply not true. NH is conservative yes. We don't like wasting tax money at all and don't do hand outs. So ppl tend to think Dems are not welcome. We don't care about what party you vote, we care about Our State gov staying out of our pockets and our Biss. Black white chinese we don't care. There are alot of inter racial couples here. And there are alot of Plays and theaters as well. (they just are self funded instead of tax payer funded) But they do good. Manchester alone has over 10 diffrent plays going at any time. But if ppl are not into plays they don't know this. They just think Palace theater in Manchester and that's it. But that just isn't so. I also noticed that the ppl here don't seem to be from NH. As I am. Most didn't sound like a local. Your thread just attracted the wrong ppl. Check the other threads besides yours and see how the ppl talk of NH in genral. You will see we are very friendly. Yes we are Conservative But Far from the Bible belt Mentality. I traveled all over the USA for 4 years when I was younger, And I can say Bible belt is out. And after living here 95% of my life I can say I have never seen or heard of Religious Conflicks in any way shape or manner here. Most ppl here are not relidgious at all. Ya we beleive in GOD but alot don't go to Church. Alot do as well, but just as many don't. We are conservative as less taxes and less spending. Old conservatives. Almost Liberterian in nature. Actually that is how most vote. Just don't register as such. Anyway read the other NH treads and make up you own mind But look where they are from when getting advice. Look at Littleton. Oh and we haven't gotten alot of Snow the last 2 years. Yes we have all you ask for. But if you consider yourself a liberal Than I would stay with The Port. You Don't sound like a liberal to me though. You sound like someone who likes the arts. If that makes you liberal than I would be 1 as well. But I am Far From. Just cause 1 likes something don't make there standing in politics automatic. Unfortunetly ppl do view it that way at times. And because NH Don't support raising taxes for things that should be, and are self funded ppl think we are bible belt when again we are far from. We are just Conservative in Nature of spending.

Last edited by nhyrnut; 01-06-2007 at 10:37 PM..

Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 PM

Why is it that people automaticaly think liberal when someone says they love the arts? I just don't get it. I am all for self funded theaters and am not out to use public funding to run mine. You may be right in that the posters may not be NH residents, I didn't think about that. Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I feel a little better now.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 69,904 times
I was a liberal arts major in college! But I'm a libertarian dagummit!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am a active Democrat but few would call me liberal. I just think the government should do what it has to do (primarily educate kids and supress usurers) and the private sector do what it has to do.

There is a very active arts scene in NH although the gallerys are principally located where the tourists and summer people are. More disposable income I suppose.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,699 times
Question New Hampshire is looking for people to relocate to that state?

I heard that New Hampshire is looking for people to relocate to that state....
Is this true?

If that is the truth, then what are the advantages and inconvenients of that program?

Thank you in advance for your help.

m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire