Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,536 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first post here, I just have a few questions about NH building codes. A close family member had fire damage to his home, and is in the process of rebuilding. There was extensive damage but due to financial reasons, he's trying to salvage as much of the home as possible. The problem is that between the fire damage, the design of the home (very old home), and precious damage (rot in the sills, and some mold) in my opinion, more repairs are needed than what is being done.

This is a small town, but it does have a building inspector. I pointed out a few of these things to the inspector (a cracked beam, the rotted sills, and a few other things) but he didn't seem concerned. There are also some other issues, such as the new staircase to the basement not being to NH code (code seems to be 36", this looked to be around 30"...I would barely fit down it!), floor joists don't seem to be to code (#2 fir, 2x8, 16" oc spanning nearly 15 feet), and the worse...the walls that will end up being load bearing for the new roof design, holding the trusses, are nowhere near code for a load bearing wall. There are no jack studs for the windows, for example.

I'm not one to worry about the details of laws...I'm a pretty laid-back person. But when it comes to safety, especially of an elderly couple, I pay attention. I really don't care about the basement stairs. But I do want to make sure the floor is strong enough, and that the walls will support the roof. The local "good ol'e boy" inspector seems to be ignoring a lot.

Basically, I want to know if state code trumps what the inspector allows, or if by the local inspector signing off on this, all will be fine. I don't want anyone in trouble over this, and sure don't want to make lift difficult for the family member, but I want to make sure they are safe.

Any info will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Hiring an independent inspector is not very costly. I had an awful inspector so I can't suggest him; but I've heard good things about Criterium-Turner (supposedly all licensed professional engineers...but I'd make sure its in a relevant field), especially for more "involved" work.

Be aware NH has no licensing requirements for home inspectors. I could say "I'm a home inspector" if I wanted (though this may have changed in the last year or two- I know they were pushing for it...mainly to collect fees though). There are however professional organizations/accreditation available. So do your research!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Jthibodeau, who is sometimes on here, is a wonderful home inspector out of Weare, but I think not all towns have inspections???

Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Most new homes built to code might manage to last 30 years (many won't). Older homes may not meet code but the builders usually knew what they were doing. A house that's 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 or even 200 or 300 years old may not meet code, but if it's survived that long, it should tell you it was built right. I'd only worry about the rotten sills. The staircase? The farmhouse my family owned for over 200 years before selling off the farm in the 80's had a staircase that was maybe a couple inches wider than 2 feet that wound its way up to the second floor (size made necessary between the front rooms and the big central chimney taking up space). 2 foot center or even wider used to be fairly common with floor joists spanning the length of a house sometimes so I wouldn't worry about those floor joists being over 15 feet and 16 on center.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
That is another consideration. There is a tremendous difference in wood density between "new growth" and "old growth" wood. This is actually why on a lot of older homes you'll see 200+ year old cedar siding with more limited maintenance whereas today's cedar will start to have issues without maintenance every few years.

Of course there is also a function of the material size itself. A beam that's 4x9 is obviously going to be much stronger than a 2x10.

There are inspectors/structural engineers out there who specialize in old homes. Worth looking into. One did a study on the Town Hall in Hollis NH; it may be worthwhile to get his name because he seemed pretty decent.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,471 times
I see this thread is quite old, but hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.My family and I are planning a move to NH in the next couple years and plan to build our own home.

Is there a State standard in regard to minimum and maximum size a house must be?

Are there any standards for a living roof?

Any direction or assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the time folks, have a great day!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default Living roof + 4' of snow == roof collapse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.path.to.natural View Post
I see this thread is quite old, but hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.My family and I are planning a move to NH in the next couple years and plan to build our own home. Is there a State standard in regard to minimum and maximum size a house must be? Are there any standards for a living roof?
There is a state building code. I'd be concerned about attempting a living roof in New Hampshire, any particular reason for interest in that feature?

I don't recall a statewide minimum house size; each town sets their own rules for minimum lot size/frontage/living space. Towns vary greatly in their zoning and enforcement.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 PM

176 posts, read 298,857 times
Yeah, remember in addition to the huge weight of dirt and water, you'd need to add the weight of snow, the constant stresses of freezing and unfreezing... And god forbid you get a hornet nest up there, or coons, or a maple key gets entrenched before you can get it out? Ugh, give me shingles Amy time.
If you can blow a few thou a season on home repair, go for it I guess?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
When 80% of the state is forested and air conditioning is optional, are any of the advantages claimed for "green roof" construction really an issue here?

Even if they are permitted by code (unlikely), If I wanted to be green, I'd spend that money on a 50-year steel roof, solar hot water, and rainwater collection.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 AM

346 posts, read 358,481 times
Here's a house for you. We saw this last year on an art tour. The guy's house is much the same, pretty neat place.
Good Luck Thomas Meyers Studio // studio :: earthsheltered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire