U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,231,938 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking public transportation to the airport to avoid driving/parking. I was thinking of departing Westmont Speedline Station into Center City. Not sure where/what train I would need to transfer though to get from there to the airport. Anyone ever do this? Is it a really bad idea?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM

13,146 posts, read 13,178,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I am considering taking public transportation to the airport to avoid driving/parking. I was thinking of departing Westmont Speedline Station into Center City. Not sure where/what train I would need to transfer though to get from there to the airport. Anyone ever do this? Is it a really bad idea?
Buy a SEPTA transfer in Westmont & transfer to the El at 8th & Market. You need to go to 30th St to connect to the airport. I haven't done it, so maybe someone can pick it up from this point.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 PM

679 posts, read 1,899,871 times
Septa's R1 Regional Rail is the one that goes to the airport. You can pick it up at the Market East Station (12th and Market St) - no need to go all the way to 30th st station.

Now to get from the PATCO speedline to 12th and market - you will either have to get off at 8th and market and walk 3-4 blocks - or transfer at 8th and market to the Market-Frankford El and hop on a westbound train for one stop to the Market East Station. Hopefully, you won't be carrying too much luggage.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 19 days ago)

13,669 posts, read 17,522,791 times
JerZBoy has it dead on. It's definitely not the easiest way to get to the airport.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:02 PM

12,344 posts, read 13,942,640 times
How about taking the Atlantic City line form Cherry Hill to 30th Street and then hop on the R1 to the Airport.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,231,938 times
Yeah. Seems like Rapid Rover or parking in an long term lot is the much easier way to go.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM

250 posts, read 584,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Yeah. Seems like Rapid Rover or parking in an long term lot is the much easier way to go.
If its an afternoon or evening flight departure, and the return reaches PHL before 9, then PATCO/SEPTA or NJ Transit/SEPTA to PHL, and back, is still doable.

If its an early AM flight, driving and parking in long term parking is easier and safer, or getting someone to drop you off even better.

From what I've seen Rapid Rover is expensive.

Another option for an early AM flight (if goal is to reach destination around early-mid afternoon), is to fly out of ACY. The parking is inexpensive for the close to gate, long term parking. The downside is likely a 1-stop itinery, w/ stop in ATL, if flying AirTran. Also, AirTran doesn't cover the country fully (no Portland, Salt Lake City). The other choice is flying Spirit.

Last edited by subwayfan; 06-28-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 AM

13,146 posts, read 13,178,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Septa's R1 Regional Rail is the one that goes to the airport. You can pick it up at the Market East Station (12th and Market St) - no need to go all the way to 30th st station.

Now to get from the PATCO speedline to 12th and market - you will either have to get off at 8th and market and walk 3-4 blocks - or transfer at 8th and market to the Market-Frankford El and hop on a westbound train for one stop to the Market East Station. Hopefully, you won't be carrying too much luggage.
Thanks! As I said, I haven't done this. I have a friend who has done this a couple of times & went to 30th St Station, so I'll pass the word to her that she can go to the Market East Station.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 AM

97 posts, read 141,648 times
Take PATCO to 8th St, walk thru the Gallery to Septa's Market East Station and catch the R1 to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia