U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 PM

86 posts, read 203,502 times

Advertisements

I believe this is a good idea. Think about it, the reason why the interstate system was originally created was to allow military vehicles to pass in a rapid amount of time, in case of wartime. This was originally created by the former president Eisenhower, who studied the autobahn system in Germany. It makes a lot of sense, as I don't understand why Fort Dix isn't close to a major interstate. Also, it can make traveling to LBI/Toms River/Seaside Heights (home of Jersey Shore) quicker (although I would love to see an NJT Rail extension from Mount Holly to Toms River). Let me know what you guys think!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 02:02 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,624,383 times
Thats why we have I-195 , and theres a planned Rail line to Tom's River.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:00 PM

20,495 posts, read 25,698,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I believe this is a good idea. Think about it, the reason why the interstate system was originally created was to allow military vehicles to pass in a rapid amount of time, in case of wartime. This was originally created by the former president Eisenhower, who studied the autobahn system in Germany. It makes a lot of sense, as I don't understand why Fort Dix isn't close to a major interstate. Also, it can make traveling to LBI/Toms River/Seaside Heights (home of Jersey Shore) quicker (although I would love to see an NJT Rail extension from Mount Holly to Toms River). Let me know what you guys think!!!
They are not going to build an interstate into the Pine Barrens. The existing roads were there before the Pinelands were protected.

I can remember watching convoys on Rt 70 coming & going to Dix during the Vietnam War.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,498,385 times
I think that was part of the original plan, but it was supposed to merge into 195. The cancellation of this extension is why 95/295 does that weird loop outside Trenton.

As for needing an interstate to service the base, they have easy access to two, 295 and 95/NJ Turnpike. If you leave the base down Route 68 it runs right into 206 at the intersection of those two interstates. They don't really need an actual interstate to run through the base.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:10 PM

3,314 posts, read 8,511,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They are not going to build an interstate into the Pine Barrens. The existing roads were there before the Pinelands were protected.
Excellent point! The Pinelands Preservation is protected so no highway would go through the east side.

Also, I'm not sure how many know this, but there are already roads on the north east side of Fort Dix connecting to Lakehurst. It's just that civilians are not allowed back there.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,791,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think that was part of the original plan, but it was supposed to merge into 195. The cancellation of this extension is why 95/295 does that weird loop outside Trenton.
Route 38 was planned to be a cross state freeway from Philadelphia/Camden to Belmar( thats why Route 138 was Route 38 until the 1980s

Route 37 was planned to be a freeway from Seaside Heights to Trenton. There are old maps and bridge abutments near Trenton that say State Route 37.

Had this come to pass I think that Ocean County(and Monmouth) would be more a part of Philadelphia's sphere of influence than it is now

Old 12-26-2010, 12:26 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Route 38 was planned to be a cross state freeway from Philadelphia/Camden to Belmar( thats why Route 138 was Route 38 until the 1980s

Route 37 was planned to be a freeway from Seaside Heights to Trenton. There are old maps and bridge abutments near Trenton that say State Route 37.

Had this come to pass I think that Ocean County(and Monmouth) would be more a part of Philadelphia's sphere of influence than it is now
and 317 bus to asbury park is every 2 hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia